MaxPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Epperson

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are nice and the technology at your disposal is great (in 5 reviews)

• The company is quick to adopt new technology for working with data (e (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to make your own work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains with the company are evident in some cases (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I have ever worked for..."

Pros

MaxPoint is the best company I have worked for in my 12 year career. The organization is filled with intelligent people who work really hard to achieve their goals. As a member of the sales team, I am thrilled with how they treat their employees. Additionally, our support functions are some of the best in the business. And I have nothing but amazing things to say about our tech team and product development team. They are constantly innovating and as a member of some beta teams, I am so excited about our future. The management team at MaxPoint is supportive and smart. They aggressively pursue the goals of the organization and push their teams to do so as well. But they also know how to reward the sales team. They provide all sorts of opportunities to grow your compensation and your career. Additionally, they know how to have fun and reward the teams with activities beyond just financial comp. With that said, the comp package and sales escalators are top notch. And to have 100% Medical and Dental paid is huge for my family. Lastly, they just announced that we have open PTO so no limits on the time off you take...and they require that you take off at least 10 days. This company is constantly on the rise and I am beyond excited to be a part of it.

Cons

As a Sales Manager, this is a High Pressure environment. I do not personally consider that a con but if you are looking for a sales career and you can't handle the gamble, then this isn't the place for you. But if you thrive on the swings of sales, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the sales team with training and continue to innovate!

2. "Technology & Positive Culture"

Pros

I’ve had a very positive experience working at MaxPoint. MaxPoint is a fun and rewarding place to work if you value a data-first, tech-first, fast-paced and ever evolving culture. The company considers itself more of a technology and data science operation than a marketing or media operation - it is more like a Silicon Valley internet tech startup or analytic consulting company than an ad agency, which is great to find in NC vs. more expensive areas. The company is constantly developing new technology products and services to bring to market and you will get noticed if you’re lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to work on one, no matter how it turns out. This can weigh higher for your advancement than the standard annual review process. The culture is excellent. There are always fun events and things to volunteer for. If you travel in your role, the company is not stingy about travel expenses. It is also not stingy about office equipment or meals. Department or company-wide lunches occur frequently, and the company has an on-site café with lots of healthy snacks. The CEO is very visible in the office and consistently promotes innovative conversations. Many employees end up being close friends outside of the office as well.

Cons

Professional development is more of an independent project for many employees at MaxPoint – as a newer company, long-term development programs are sparse and you have to work hard to make your own way. That being said, you can learn a lot working at MaxPoint if you communicate clear interest and initiative to try new things vs. saying “that’s not my job.” People here tend to be very intelligent and resourceful, with diverse experiences. It can be difficult to advance into higher compensation levels for non-Sales roles if you don’t already have programming or mathematical skills or a quantitative/technical degree, but the company might give you the opportunity to learn these skills if you can show that you’re a valuable and curious employee, put in extra effort and make the company some extra money.

Advice to Management

Conduct more due-diligence / market research prior to planning new products.

Create professional development / continuing education workshops for employees that want to learn more technical skills.

"Nice benefits, odd culture"

I worked at MaxPoint part-time

Pros

The snacks and the office set up are great. They do an open layout well.

Cons

People are surface-friendly but, the lack of diversity is kinda weird. It depends on the department, but most employees are young, white, and went to one of 3 universities which is just odd to me because I come from a very diverse environment.

"Some very smart people, ultimately dragged down by management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MaxPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very talented people on the technical side of the organization, and it's a good place to be exposed to new technologies. The company has more data than it knows what to do with, so there are, at least in principle, a lot of really interesting technical problems to work on. The pay and benefits are quite good, especially relative to the region. I found the engineers and data scientists to be generally fun to work with.

Cons

Management above the director level can be frustrating to work with, to put it mildly. As a technical person trying to build something, your first questions are, or should include, "who is the customer, what problem do they have, and what do they already have that isn't solving this problem?". High-level managers and product managers at Maxpoint are astounding in their near-uniform inability to answer this question. Lacking a clear, high-level vision, they plan around bizarrely specific and decontextualized goals that change every time they meet with the CEO, who changes his mind a *lot*. The effect is toxic because it means you end up putting a lot of work into things that are presented to you as very urgent and central to the business, only to later discover either that the CEO (or someone--not always clear who, given the lack of transparency) changed his mind and actually this isn't a thing they care about anymore, or that the work was mis-characterized or -prioritized in the first place by a product manager.

Adding to this problem is a lack of transparency about where the business is headed and why decisions are made the way they are. The secrecy makes miscommunication of the kind I just described seem less like a series of blunders and more like a systematic failure to respect and value the time, skills, and expertise of employees.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest. Smart people need context to do good work. Trust the people you work with and maybe they'll trust you too.

Work harder to create a culture where dissent is ok, and where the people building the products have a voice.

6. "Account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at MaxPoint (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people and great benefits.

Cons

Long work days creates a lot of turnover.

7. "Great benefits!"

Pros

Great benefits and nice quarterly bonuses.

Cons

Lots of changes happening which could be good or bad.

MaxPoint Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thanks for this review! We are proud to offer great benefits for our employees and are happy to hear how valuable they are to you. High tech, high growth companies are famous for change as ... More

8. "Fun Place to Work"

I have been working at MaxPoint full-time

Pros

I find MaxPoint to be fun, flexible, fast paced, interesting & evolving

Cons

short sided but they are adjusting this mentality

9. "Fast paced, high tech data science in a software development environment"

Pros

Maxpoint is a company that is a great place to develop your data science career. The company is quick to adopt new technology for working with data (e.g., Spark) so you will learn cutting edge technology by osmosis. The nature of the online advertising business means that you are constantly working with truly "big data" so you will also gain valuable experience in this area as well. The data science team is fairly large meaning that there are lots of opportunities to bounce ideas off of a multitude of smart people. Work life balance is pretty reasonable. Management is quite flexible around employee's lives. The demands of the business mean that both your programming and scientific skills can be / need to be utilized. Data scientists here are expected to build working software, rather than one off analyses or prototypes.

Cons

"The demands of the business mean that both your programming and scientific skills can be / need to be utilized. Data scientists here are expected to build working software, rather than one off analyses or prototypes."
    Therefore, this can be a very challenging data science setting if you do not have strong general programming skills.
    No one tells you how long to work but there can be a lot of interesting problems you are trying to solve at any given time. Therefore, you need to be disciplined about enforcing your own work life balance.

Advice to Management

The role of data science is still not well defined across the industry. Keep working to define the role and voice of data science at least within company.

MaxPoint Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Analytics

Thank you for your input and spot-on assessment of our environment. As you indicate, the industry, the definition of data scientist, and our needs are all changing rapidly so I appreciate these ... More

10. "Quick paced environment at MaxPoint"

I have been working at MaxPoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MaxPoint definitely keeps you busy! There's constant change here, whether it's new people, new products or new technology. I enjoy the fast-paced culture. As a new hire, they expect you to learn quickly and throw you into campaigns - which I enjoyed. The Morrisville office is entirely open, so you can easily hear people collaborate and discuss ideas. I think that builds unity within teams. The majority of AMs are young, so if you're looking for a young environment, it's a great fit! Management is trying to make the workload better for AMs and are in the middle of implementing new strategies to take effect Q1 2017. Lots of cool HR programs!

Cons

As I said, change happens constantly, so it's important to be open to it and learn quickly. Hours can be long, and you're expected to stay from 9 - 6.

"Poor"

I worked at MaxPoint full-time

Pros

Strong compensation and benefits were competitive. Thorough training for new employees and company has been growing

Cons

Extremely cut throat and competitive. Management not invested in employee and retention and treat sales people as a number not a person

Advice to Management

Align goals to keep employees happy and retained to sustain growth for the future. Ensure goals are attainable