Maxcess Managed Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

"Enjoy working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time

Pros

The culture is lovely; I feel like part of a team. I love seeing people encouraged to try on new roles, which are available because of the small size. There are some smart people here, too! The location, right on Route 22, is convenient. Work/life balance is encouraged.

Cons

Some growing pains; everyone needs to take on the process so there's consistency across all accounts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Agency needs help...and it needs to start from the top"

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time

Pros

A part of Publicis, which allows for generous PTO and benefits

Provides decent work life balance

Some teams are very positive and collaborative

Cons

Due to the incompetency of senior management, 80% of business was placed within one book of business. Client could not rely on the strategic lead assigned and added to the demise of the business.

Due to the loss in business, incompetency of senior leadership and terrible business model, hardworking talent was let go. Additionally, the agency now is without a Managing Director, SVP of Client Service and a Creative Director.

The little culture that we did have has been crushed and the morale is severely low.

Individuals making decisions “at the top” currently don’t seem to understand what they are doing and are floundering in the process. People who are currently making decisions do not seem qualified or have the experience to make this agency successful again.

Individuals within Maxcess being trusted to be informants for corporate are incompetent, unprofessional and not trustworthy--only looking out for their own job.

What is currently going on in this agency is to say the least, heartbreaking. The issues are at the top. Get the right Managing Director in the seat, build a strong foundation and groom/build your junior/mid level employees--damage has already been done because of leaderships ineptitude.

Advice to Management

You’ve really let us down and the entire agency

You have a team of some great talented people that are not and were not given a fair chance at success.

Your priorities need to be in order before you make additional rash decisions on the future of this agency.

3. "Enjoy working here!"

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maxcess fosters work/life balance for the most part. Yes, many of us have to work late hours and weekends as needed since that is the nature of the industry, but our vacation and holidays are generous and make up for it, in my opinion.

Work from home flexibility.

Most managers and supervisors don't breathe down your neck which makes for a pleasant work environment-everybody is expected to get their work done and I think most if not all employees hold themselves accountable.

There is a sense of camaraderie at Maxcess - I don't always mind putting in extra time because I enjoy working with my colleagues, and we all do what we need to help each other get the job done as efficiently as possible.

Cons

There have been some growing pains but upper management seems to be putting in effort to iron out the kinks.

Not a lot of room for growth since it is a small company.

It would be nice to have a more diversified portfolio, which the business development team is working on.

"Used to be a nice place to work"

I worked at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time

Pros

The reason I stayed at Maxcess for so long was because of the work from home and hour flexibility. Eventually though I was working 60 - 80 hour weeks to make up for the huge gaps in knowledge and certain departments not wanting to carry a full work load

Cons

There are a lot of issues with Maxcess. To start, the company struggles to bring in new business and they've fired anyone who can bring in new business. Second, there is no real senior management in place. There used to be a great senior management team that protected you any managing director issues but they were all either fired (when the managing director needed a scape goat) or left of their own will. The managing director is a con all on their own, they have no clue about what is happening with their employees, they favor certain people who don't do any work, and promote all the wrong people. The managing director also has almost no managed care knowledge and at one point even attended a managed care 101 (not great when you're a managed care agency managing director!) Finally, the copy team. There are members of the copy team that come in at 10:00 am and refuse to work past 4:00 pm. They also will only work on one project at a time. The copy team loves drama as well so they will talk about you behind your back, report you to HR if you provide any sort of feedback (seriously, any feedback), and make everything about them.

Advice to Management

Fire the managing director and clear out the copy team. The account team, creative, and project management team will thrive if that's the case.

Jul 9, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your posting, we appreciate all feedback and always aim at evaluating it and taking actions based on what we hear from our current and past employees.

As in any successful and... More

"Was a nice place to work"

Pros

Good people, interesting work, but oversight is lacking and support from upper management is minimal. Must wear many hats if that is what you are into

Cons

No bonuses, no support from upper management, a small piece of a much larger company, not enough collaboration within all divisions

Advice to Management

Promote more often and offer competitive salaries

Jul 10, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We are very proud of employees who work for us and are happy to hear that you enjoyed interacting with them.

Even though we are a part of a large company, we are able... More

"Stay away"

Pros

-Part of PHCG
    -Good salary/benefits including generous PTO

Cons

-Incompetent leadership that micromanages staff and lacks substantive managed market access experience. According to a staff survey, only 35% or so agreed that they felt confident with senior leadership.
    -High turnover. Many staff have been fired unfairly or have resigned.
    -Catty and unprofessional work environment
    -Favoritism is rampant. If you are liked by the Managing Director, you can get away with murder and will likely be promoted whether it is deserved or not.
    -Lack of mentorship for junior staff
    -The majority of business (roughly 75%) is with one client

Advice to Management

Focus on obtaining new business, improving the workplace culture, and treat employees fairly with respect.

Apr 20, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We have been making great progress since you left the organization as we now have more additions to our team bringing managed markets expertise, as well as a significant... More

"Growing agency with a lack of process, infrastructure, and positive, collaborative culture"

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets (More than a year)

Pros

-Senior management generally has an open-door policy, but no action is usually taken.
    -Maxcess is part of the Publicis Health network and has competitive salary and benefits.
    -A number of the staff are warm and friendly, but others are catty, vindictive, and unprofessional.
    -The agency has grown tremendously due to organic growth by mid-level staff; however, there have been few if any new business wins which speaks to the quality and work ethic of senior management.
    -Consultants and strategists with strong managed care experience have been brought on to help the agency
    -Strong Editorial group

Cons

-Compared to many other agencies, Maxcess in large agency networks, Maxcess is unique. It is very isolated--it is located in the middle of NJ whereas the rest of agencies are based in NYC
    -Remote staff (ie, those not working in the NJ office) are not integrated well into the agency in any way.
    -Senior management lacks strong strategic insight and background in managed care, is complacent, or a combination of both.
    -The Copy department lacks leadership and the right talent. This has been a systemic problem at the company for a long time but nothing has been done to change it. While there are a few good writers, many are inexperienced and have been not been trained or properly in any fashion. As such, the good writers are overworked and often leave the agency, while the inexperienced writers flounder.
    -The Art department is understaffed significantly and not managed as good as it could be. There is not an Art person devoted to each team, and work is completed on a first-come-first-serve basis, meaning you have no idea who will work on the project. As such, creativity and quality are hit or miss.
    -The Project Management department is a hot mess. Junior account staff have all been transitioned to project managers, leaving many of them frustrated in terms of their career growth. Agency process is inconsistent and varies by account/team. Quality control is lacking and more oversight and guidance is needed for the project managers.
    -The Account staff are a mixed bag. The most junior account position is Account Supervisor since all of the junior account staff were designated project managers leaving many account staff left doing administrative tasks. Some account leads are tyrants while others are fine.

Advice to Management

-Senior management needs to take what employees say seriously and act upon it.
    -Do not tolerate unprofessional behavior by any staff regardless of their title or level. Turning a blind eye to this behavior does not change anything but rather allows this type of behavior to persist.

"Mixed feelings"

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time

Pros

> Some teams are very dedicated to their work and try to create a positive culture of work.
    > Some individuals have great knowledge of the managed care space and provide value to the clients.
    > Senior leadership is very accessible and open to suggestions.
    > Good flexibility on work hours and remote work is rarely an issue.
    > Great growth over the past few years.
    > Creativity and different approaches are encouraged.

Cons

> Many (if not all) teams work in silos.
    > First impression is key, as the culture does not encourage staff to give all employees a second chance. Many employees are sometimes cast aside because they are labeled as not valuable regardless of a lack of on-boarding or appropriate training. This leads to gaps in staff capacity sometimes putting the business at risk.
    > Management team is very inconsistent: some are great, smart people, while others (managers for unknown reasons) mostly use you and then set you up for failure once you are not useful for them anymore.
    > Lack of junior level employees (due to mysterious promotion strategy: threaten to leave and you will be promoted)

Advice to Management

> Be involved!
    > Stop ignoring the key issues and stop relying on the team to resolve everything.
    > Stop focusing exclusively on one major client and drive growth through new clients.

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment. Great benefits. Accessible leadership. Employee appreciation events. Positive work culture. Great focus on career paths.

Cons

The IT support and Human Resouces are not onsite and often unreliable.

Advice to Management

Fewer meetings. More emphasis on good IT and Human Resources support.

"Toxic Undertow"

Current Employee - Creative in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Creative in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Maxcess Managed Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space
    Some very smart and talented people
    Nice senior

Cons

A select few who breed toxicity and negativity
    Zero on-boarding
    Too many promotions given out of threats to leave the organization
    Long hours for the pay
    Lack of transparency between colleagues

Advice to Management

Consider promotions based on merit rather than trying to strategically hold on to staff
    Cultivate more collaboration between teams