Maxxam Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Donna Garbutt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Not a right place to work...."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are workaholic, go for this place. free food once a month.

Cons

Management giving bad references for their employees during reference check. So be aware.....They built lot of pressure of work for you to create small mistakes and then they terminate you for no reason. Its total non professionalism approach. They learn from new recruits and kick them off...

Advice to Management

Management need to learn how to have professional attitude for people who had worked with them and not look for their own benefit

2. "Good Learning Opportunity, Very bad management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing at all. If I must then its the 3 summer BBQs.

Cons

very bad management. BAD MANAGEMENT!

Advice to Management

Learn to treat employees like human. If you say its a professional environment, then BE professional.

"Despicable and Unprofessional Workplace"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great people with which I still keep in touch with.
    Benefits are quite good.

Cons

Cons of the Customer Service Department include:
    Not enough training
    Expected to give 150%, but no recognition is received
    Management plays favorites - big time
    Management is unprofessional
             -Management has made obvious judgments on employee's personal lives
             -Management does not trust employees
    Employees are treated like they are worthless
    The on-call schedule is inconvenient
    Managers are not given proper training as to how to manage staff and be personable and approachable.
    The turnover rate is quite high and staff that has been employed for a few months find themselves training brand new staff.

This is by far the most vile company I have had the displeasure of being employed at.

Advice to Management

A lot of employees who have been with Maxxam for years have slowly climbed up the ladder and became supervisors and managers. I strongly recommend that any promotion to a managerial position require managerial training. Just because an employee has been with the company for 10+ years does not mean they will be good manager. It seems that an employee will know the technical aspects of the job but when it comes to interacting with people, they are clueless and very unprofessional.

Also, I recommend calculating the time and money allocated to training new staff every few months (or sometimes weeks!). The turnover rate at Maxxam is the worst I've ever seen. But of course, this may not be a concern of senior management.

4. "Hiring promises not met."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and a free BBQ about once a year! That's it

Cons

Overworked, bad hours, at hiring interview what was told was untrue, lab staff badly treated, bad communication.

5. "Co-op Student, Filtration Station"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of over time (16+ hour work days, but with no breaks/lunch, they expect you to keep working), cookies at staff meetings.

Cons

Evil co-workers. There's a limit to what I can say here, since I did write a formal 4 page complaint regarding the issue which I presented to the manager, but suffice to say there were improper procedures, bad staff, constant verbal harassment (either to go faster - we were already doing 4x as much work as normal numerically) including being told to kill myself by a co-worker (when I stated that I didn't want to get married), as well as co-workers who told me I should marry a white man to keep the white race pure (the co-worker was Asian), and who also told another co-worker (who was black) that she should marry a white man, because biracial babies were smarter.
    When I made my complaint to the manager (including both the harassment, the suicide issue, and the racial comments, as well as this person's improper lab procedures, including leaving boxes of dangerous chemicals on the floor uncapped), I was told that this was due to a 'cultural difference' and the bad co-worker was neither fired nor punished.
    Thankfully it was just a co-op.
    Also note that they have a policy against giving out references, period, so you won't get anything out of that, and frankly you won't learn anything either. You really don't need more than a grade 8 education to work there, if that.

Advice to Management

Stop supporting racists. Start enforcing your SOPs so people do the work properly. Actually hire enough people to do the work, and stop laying people off in the down season, it's unprofessional and it's why you can't keep any long-term staff.

"Outsourced Laboratory"

Current Employee - Analyst II in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes you have good co-workers.

Cons

Poor wages, limited promotions unless you are new to Canada and don't speak English. Management doesn't care about employees. Goals are smoke and mirrors. Safety is a joke. High turn over of good staff because they aren't recognized.

7. "Boring boring boring"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers
    -Training was adequate

Cons

-Job was tedious and offered no room for growth
    -Staff were overly excited by free barbecue and popsicles... which says something about the work environment

8. "Lab Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Do not work here unless you are desperate.

Cons

Upper management is racist and the work environment is anything but professional.

Advice to Management

Please revisit how to manage and condemn yourselves in front of employees.

"Overworked, underpaid, not enough training for the level of accountability, no commitment from management."

Former Employee - Analyst I in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst I in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fresh brewed coffee and specialty drinks in the lunchroom. There really aren't many perks.

Cons

Overtime all the time. Promotions are based unprofessionally, often based on whether you can work any and all shifts, for example, back to back night shift to a morning shift as your permanent schedule. Too many untrained co-ops with no intention of training them properly and unpaid at that. The staff feel they don't have a relationship with management at all and are treated like just another number. Lots of finger pointing when things go wrong.

Advice to Management

Please work to improve staff happiness and fulfillment going forward and not just the financial numbers.

"Workplace to avoid at all costs, if possible."

Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Maxxam Analytics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

may be good for new graduates/immigrants for a short while, place to meet new friends.

Cons

Low pay, minimum advancement, political, do not appreciate employees hard work, bad management, bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

All your talented workers have worked for you for only a short while and left for other consultants and companies, have you wondered why? Maxxam retention rate of talented people is extremely low, everyone else that stays are mediocre or ready for retirement.