Mayekawa Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Buyer in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Lebanon, TN

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Wonderful management especially in the purchasing department.

Cons

None...this was a wonderful company.

2. "Disorganized and Disfunctional"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Mayekawa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are good people to work with except for the management . The work environment is good.

Cons

The management decision making is terrible. This is a poorly ran company. They do not involve the people that are effected by their decisions. The company only really cares about the Japanese customers. HR does not properly investigate employee disputes. They have an unfair point system. The hourly employees hate it. There to much favoritism. They have a large turn over of employees. They are very quick to fire. There protected by being an at will employer. The Japanese management want to run the company as they do in Japan. This makes it very difficult for the American members at times. I have seen a lot of good talent either get fired or quit due to the decisions of the Japanese members. I have never seen a Japanese member get fired.

Advice to Management

My advice is to management is to hear both sides to a story. I seen several times a decision was made without talking to all people involved. This company is quick to fire people with out a good explanation. People are fired without being heard. I suggest that the Japanese management involve the american personally in the plans. The Japanese should listen to the American personnel more. I have seen a person get fired because the Japanese personnel only talked among themselves. They are quick to blame and point fingers at this company.

3. "Brief and relatively painless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mayekawa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Los Angeles branch of Mayekawa (MYCOM) is actually located in Torrance, which is a great place and full of Japanese restaurants of all varieties - not just your local Asian-run sushi joint. Torrance also has a burgeoning craft beer scene with 3+ microbreweries in the area. My manager did not micromanage and generally let me set my own pace of work. He was very knowledgeable, and as an expert in his field, was a great resource for answering my questions. The product (as is common with Japanese products) was excellent and enjoys wide acceptance in the industry. Opportunities for business travel are ample.

Cons

Unfortunately, morale was low amongst the engineers I worked with and complaints were commonplace during our lunch outings to the local Japanese restaurants. Mostly the low morale could be traced back to the low compensation and subpar benefits. Many people expressed their belief that Mayekawa was a temporary stop where they could pick up skills and move on to bigger and better. Some people may not like the industrial feel of Torrance and the particularly poorly kept building where Mayekawa is located. Often, fumes from the shop downstairs could be noticed.

Advice to Management

Management needs to keep promises and not string employees along with false promises of things to come. Compensation and/or benefits could be improved. HR should take concerns of ALL its employees seriously. Performance reviews should happen regularly and not be delayed for months at a time. Delaying reviews and ignoring concerns truly shows management's lack of interest in its employees. Perhaps, more frequent performance reviews or some other means to gauge employee morale should be implemented. Management should avoid engaging in preferential treatment of one class of employee; instead show all your employees that they are valued.

"Good place to work at"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Mayekawa full-time

Pros

Generally people have an open minded mentality at work and it is pleasant to work in. (Although I have heard mixed reviews depending on the department you work for)
    Very challenging environment.
    Employer seems to care about employee's motivation.
    Great experience for an engineer right out of college due to the vast amount of job requirements that could change daily.
    Senior engineers are always willing to help (great mentors).
    401k
    Cheap insurance plan (but does not cover much when needed-about 70~80% of cost)

Cons

This could be bad or good depending on personal preference, but on general there is a lot of travel (This could change according to your job position)
    Company has conflicting cultures between departments leading to a big mess in coordinating projects (nothing gets done at the right time)
    When a problem is detected a lot of finger pointing goes around, which prevents employees from learning.
    Depending on the department you work for, the turnover rate is s very high. (Many people gets fired and hired)
    Low engineering salary.
    Depending on the project, long work hours can be expected. (Although this is not every day and every week, you can still have a satisfying personal life. At the same time this is not the place for the regular 8 hours working day)

Advice to Management

Adopt a more organized system to coordinate projects and listen to the people who are doing the work. This will allow you to better understand the needs of the company's operations and relief the unnecessary work load on each employee.

Do not fire so many people. This keeps employees very worried and alerted leading many people to search for different employment options. Remember we all have families to feed.

"Good employer, family oriented."

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mayekawa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little or no stresses.
    Nice management.
    Good people and good environment to work.

Cons

Low salary and compensation.
    Unorganized and heavy workload.

6. "Great Place To Work At!"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Torrance, CA

I worked at Mayekawa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of nice people working here. Everybody treat each other with respect.
    You learn a lot and you are given the time to learn it. Management is good and there is opportunity to grow in the company.
    I had a great time working there and would have not left if it was not because of my long daily drives in traffic.

Cons

Noone that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Go Mayekawa!

7. "Not all bad but still not that good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, TN

Pros

Great coworkers, for the most part. Good benefits

Cons

Disconnected, disjointed management that is trying to change too much too soon.

Advice to Management

Focus. Listen to the new people as they have not been taints yet

8. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mayekawa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment and people
    The manager is friendly to new staff as well.
    Small but effective team.

Cons

Salary could be higher.
    Higher salary increment is recommended

Advice to Management

Provide more allowance to staff

9. "mechanical engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

Pros

small effective team , people are nice

Cons

increment salary could be higher

10. "Controls Engineer"

Pros

amazing people, good work life balance....

Cons

sometimes you have to travel to boring places, but very short and maybe twice a year