Mayo Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is interested not only in people's employment/career but also in fostering a sense of community and work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Great Benefits, Lots of opportunity (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance (you get PTO but can barely use it in our department) and POOR excuses for/overpaid management (in 17 reviews)

• No cons working for the company (in 16 reviews)

1. "RN"

Current Employee - ARNP in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - ARNP in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, quality benefits for low price
    Top quality physicians

Cons

short staffed, non cooperative house supervisors

2. "Mayo RN review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great pay
    *Co workers are passionate about their jobs
    *Fantastic resources
    * Great opportunities for continuing education

Cons

*In the surrounding areas, there's not as much to as perhaps the twin cities.
    *It would be nice for the 1st tier for insurance to go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue with the good work! I have no compliants as far as my nurse manager goes. He is an awesome person and boss!

3. "CNA"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Lake City, MN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Lake City, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer much training and support to their staff. The pay s also a little higher then surrounding areas. I like the team spirit that the working enviroment has.

Cons

There is however a little bit of a higher then you addittude here. All nurses work hard, all students had to work hard to get to where they are.

Advice to Management

Be a little more compassionate to the little people beneath you, be a little more organized.

4. "Student nurse"

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time

Pros

They care about their nurses a lot. They are very much about EBP. There are many opportunities to grow.

Cons

They have high expectations which is a good thing. I do not have anything else to add.

Advice to Management

They do a good job of making sure the nurses are happy and that things are running smoothly.

5. "Mayo Clinic Review"

Pros

It was amazing and the staff were all so friendly.

Cons

I did not feel like I was treated fairly.

Advice to Management

None

6. "RN"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The motto of the patient comes first is true! I'd say the majority of the staff enjoy their jobs at Mayo and it shows in how well we treat our patients. Sometimes we need to treat each other better though (sorry, should be under cons!). I've been an employee, a patient, and multiple family members have been patients, I'd give us a 98%, of course someone has to mess with the statistics! Seriously though, the nurses are treated with respect, the pay for I/P is much higher than ambulatory, but the cut in pay to come to Mayo from Banner was soooo worth it, two totally different companies. Love my job and my department! Education for nurses is highly valued and encouraged, most of our team are either in school for BSN or NP, or see how much we have learned, so they will be starting school once the benefits for tuition reimbursement kicks in-yes, Mayo offers that, does not cover it all, but it certainly helps! There is a ton of opportunities for growth, to be on committees, and to learn from our peers.

Cons

Can get clicky, what do you expect when a field has the majority of female staff.
    The management can be political, so one learns to watch their P's and Q's, our voice as nurses has been heard more in the past several years, so overall, depends on who you wind up with as your Supervisor and your OA. There is a reason why Mayo is often rated #1 hospital in many categories, we are EBP, which can frustrate newcomers since change can take time there. But I'd much rather that then just going with winging it!

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback of staff, and without penalties, sometimes staff does not speak up due to fear of consequences. When we come to you with complaints, do not label us as negative nelleys or complainers, ask us how we can help improve what is going on.

7. "A great, professional experience."

Pros

To be apart of one of the best hospitals in the country and to have great staff helping those in need.

Cons

Very competitive and hard to get a job here. You need to have a higher level of experience than most. But it’s a great opportunity for those who want to have the best experience In the medical field.

8. "Excellent Company"

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time

Pros

Great company to work for as a clinician. All clinicians not only work in patient care but also research, quality improvement and other area. Good benefits, especially retirement if you are there long term. Patients would often say to me "everyone is so nice here." There is an overall culture of professionalism and compassion.

Cons

Progress can happen slowly as the company is so big. New hires beware it may take months to start after you are actually hired.

9. "Nursing Summer III Extern"

Former Employee - Summer III Extern
    Former Employee - Summer III Extern

I worked at Mayo Clinic part-time

Pros

Great hours, great support, transportation has been included

Cons

would have liked more observation days

Advice to Management

provide students with more observation days

10. "You can't succeed if you are honest."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to be if you are there looking to just get by and waiting for retirement.

Cons

It isn't a place to grow a career. Once Mayo have you, they are focusing on the next person to hire to fill the promotional job that they were dangling in front of you for the last 2-5 years. They sing you a song about career development and career opportunities to get you to do work above your pay grade. Mayo doesn't believe in promotions, they only fill vacancies. There are no incentive to work hard. So how do you get promoted you ask? Work on your soft skills. Learn how to suck up. Learn to appear busy. The phrase "fake it until you make it" couldn't be more true for this company. The company does not correct or fire anyone; they just pass them along

Advice to Management

Sit down and listen to your front line employees. The ones that are doing the work. Sitting up top gets shaky when the people at the bottoms starts to crumble.