KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mayo Clinic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Job

May 23, 2022 - Supply Chain Intern in La Crosse, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience in a good field

Cons

Work was tough and sometimes irrelevant

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Bullying & Racism

May 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary. Hard to find another healthcare facility that pays as well.

Cons

HR is not for the people. Many people go to HR for help only to find themselves shortly after written up or bullied by management. Bullying and harassment comes almost exclusively from management. Mayo was made aware years ago. People voiced their stories of harassment in their departments. Years later the people seemed to silenced more than the issue addressed. Covert racism and hefty office politics with favoritism. In some departments it’s disgustingly obvious. Management hires friends over people that are qualified. When applying for jobs it’s not the skills you know but who you know. It’s mentally exhausting playing the office politics game. People of color seem to have a disadvantage. They are more likely to be reprimanded, held to impossibly high standards. I’ve watched a number of educated and professional people of color leave the company due to inability to get promoted.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0

Nightmare Employer if You Are Disabled

Apr 20, 2022 - Administrative Assistant in Rochester, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mayo Clinic's benefits are top tier. Health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance and paid parental leave based on your FTE are all amazing. The cost is also affordable, and there are three major choices for health insurance.

Cons

Mayo does a terrible job of accommodating disabled workers. I did my job just fine for nearly 6 months before I realized I needed an accommodation, one of which was already given to me on a case by case basis, but my manager still booted me out of the department by claiming she couldn't accommodate me. I'm now stuck in a ridiculous "return to work" program that is demeaning and not very good at actually helping you get another position internally. Additionally, it's illegal to ask an interviewee what their disability is. They are not obligated to tell you any details unless they are hired. I have had no less than TWO hiring managers ask me this illegal question. Lastly, pay is still a huge issue within Mayo. They use "market data" to determine raises each year as well as general wages, but then refuse to share that data for others to examine and understand why they made their decision. That is alarming, to say the least, and implies some level of dishonesty in the data. Granted, they did approve a 4% general raise this year, but that was ONLY after a large number of employees gathered together to voice their displeasure with the paltry amount offered previously.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Registered Nurse

May 23, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay Overall good environment Good benefits

Cons

Hard to get a promotion

5. 4.0

Great Place

May 19, 2022 - Interventional Radiology Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

This facility works like the healthcare places of old used to work. They listen to employees, care about upwards mobility, follow protocol, and take pride in their values.

Cons

Change is slow since it is such a big machine.

6. 1.0

Abuse of Power with Associate Microbiology Dept

May 22, 2022 - Medical Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent retirement plan for employees

Cons

Pay is among the lowest in Phoenix metro Management does not listen to employees. Hire lack experience people in team lead, technical, and supervisor. High turnover rate in Microbiology Dept within the last 6 months; currently 19 employees has either resigned or transfer to another department due to abuse of power with Associate Director and management turning a blind eye instead of confronting the situation. Management refuse to rectify this issue.

7. 5.0

Resident Salary

May 22, 2022 - Resident Physician in Rochester, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and cheap cost of living in MN

Cons

Being in the midwest is less than ideal

8. 2.0

Poor Leadership

May 21, 2022 -  in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

New young team, good pay and quick delivery of quality laptop and remote working tools

Cons

Mayo Clinic is a dumpster fire. Executive leadership can't agree, so basic questions like "What platform are we going to build on?" and "Who owns the final say?" are political landmines. There were essentially 3 projects cannibalising each other and no one corrected the issue. During onboarding I was told from two different people that they nearly lost their jobs for expressing an idea. After my boss was suddenly fired, I learned they'd gone through 6 bosses in about a year! The executive shrugged it off as a need for "another reorg." Mayo is a company at war with itself. Everyone that actually tries to help them bring about the change that they say they want gets fired. Not uncommon to old enterprises, every decision is made by committee. This company is so overly top heavy that when they fired my boss they hired two people to replace her. Immediately the quality of leadership went downhill. In this environment where the major concern expressed at every practice meeting is the need for anonymity so there's no backlash for honest feedback, the next manager that came in was immediately toxic. On day 3 she aggressively belittled a vendor for their work, and when the project owners defended it she doubled down and a bunch of emergency leadership meetings were called. Then this lady said it looked bad that the project leaders weren't willing to come in for this meeting on a religious holiday. That's religious discrimination plain and simple! I watched as leaders said they got rid of people for "icky behavior" but then they were the one's i saw being toxic and contradicting themselves. I was partnered with a researcher whose work was extremely junior and when she asked me for feedback, she was always offended by it. I spent hours helping her with basic technology, like Word! I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to get her fired. After months of abuse from her, I finally spoke up to leadership and they coddled her. I looked up both the new manager and the researcher in LinkedIn and both had keyword stuffed their profiles. Which made so much sense, because their contributions to meetings was laughable. Neither the researcher nor the manager could answer basic questions about the project or the platform, and I or others had to jump in and clarify or answer for them. I started applying for other jobs 5 months into my 1 year contract.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

May 20, 2022 - Registered Nurse, ADN in Rochester, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and friendly staff

Cons

Like other healthcare institutions, safe staffing levels continue to be a problem and often leaves nurses overworked or assigned large patient loads

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Insane Working Conditions

May 12, 2022 - RN in Jacksonville, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent staff, only hire the best of the best. The patient population is easy to work with, and the bed lift in every room was really a back saver.

Cons

They did not pay us a BSN differential, 12 experienced nurses left our floor within a month because we were constantly short staffed, had no critical or holiday pay, and neighboring hospital was offering almost triple what we were making. I was making 30/hr, experienced nurses 32/hr. Had a patient death on our floor due to unsafe staffing. Brought this up to our manager that the unsafe staffing was dangerous to work in (our patients are ICU level patients in any other hospital and they were giving us four of them) and she said this wasn’t a staffing issue. I came to this hospital because of the renowned name thinking they would protect us during this crazy pandemic. I left because I didn’t want to hurt anyone.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,444 Reviews

Mayo Clinic Reviews FAQs

Mayo Clinic has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 2,661 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at Mayo Clinic to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Mayo Clinic employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Mayo Clinic. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

75% of Mayo Clinic employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Mayo Clinic 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Mayo Clinic to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Mayo Clinic Job Seekers