Mayo Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Mayo Clinic President & CEO John H. Noseworthy
John H. Noseworthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is interested not only in people's employment/career but also in fostering a sense of community and work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Great Benefits, Lots of opportunity (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance (you get PTO but can barely use it in our department) and POOR excuses for/overpaid management (in 17 reviews)

• No cons working for the company (in 16 reviews)

"Great place for a Laid back person"

Current Employee - Development Technologist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Development Technologist in Rochester, MN

Pros

Hired for life...unless you plan to move

Cons

Very laid back work culture. no performance incentives, no aggressive promotions.

Advice to Management

Promote aggressive performance with tangible rewards.

"Great company with old-fashioned values."

Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I am proud to be a part of an organization that is committed to the highest quality healthcare for Arizonans. The organization is really about excellence. Additionally, I have found the pay scale to be very competitive in our regional marketplace. Tha facilities and campuses are beautiful and the medical equipment is considered state-of-the-art in many areas.

Cons

The culture here is slow to adapt to changes in the marketplace. The company is managed by committees which make it almost impossible to get anything done. If you are looking for a fast-paced, performance-driven environment, keep looking. The company approach to employees is patriarchal and out-dated. Average employees and even below-average employees are rewarded the same as the high performers.

Advice to Management

This organization desperately needs greater individual accountability. People need to be empowered to make decisions and held accountable for their performance.

3. "Mayo Clinic Review"

Current Employee - Sonographer in Rochert, MN
    Current Employee - Sonographer in Rochert, MN

Pros

The best reasons to work at Mayo Clinic are the competency and dedication of our staff. From the highest level administrator to the lowest paid employee, we are all are focused on two things: doing the best thing for our patients and obtaining the most up to date training for for jobs. We really pride ourselves on being one of the best medical facilities in the country. Another reason you would want to work here is the friendliness of our staff. Even though Mayo employees about 26000 people, it has a "small town" atmosphere of helpfulness.

Cons

The only con I can think of is it's large size. Sometimes when patients or newly-hired employees arrive, they can feel a bit overwhelmed by the size of our medical campus. Hospitalized patients are not used to having such a large team of staff assigned to their care. If it's your first visit or you were just hired, tell us, and we'll be even more helpful. New employees are usually assigned a buddy who will mentor them through learning how such a big organization operates.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. One of the most important aspects of managing such a large organization is using great communication tools to reach all of us. It's just one of the things you do very well.

4. "Fantastic employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Pros

Great opportunites for career advancement. Education reimbursement. Wonderful work environment.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work.

Advice to Management

There are still plenty of slackers at this great institution who need to be weeded out. Most however, are very hard working.

"Mayo Clinic Rochester"

Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Rochester, MN

Pros

Mayo offers career path opportunities in many different careers and the benefits for continuing education are excellent for staff at all levels.

Cons

To advance your career it is often times necessary to change employers. There are few opportunities to develop your career beyond Mayo Clinic locally.

Advice to Management

Look for and promote more individuals with leadership potential, rather than management potential. Leaders are visionary and inspire others to act. Managers are task masters who implement leadership initiatives.

"Best Place to Work"

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Greay pay, decent benifits, light workloads, Drs nice, get to work with Nitric oxide, Supervisors leave you alone to do your job, coworkers get along.

Cons

Sometimes hard to get time off for full time employees, Management gets a little crazy about pt education, no weekend diff.

Advice to Management

Try to discipline the person creating the problem, not all the employees.

7. "Very good"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Very good benefits, doing research in cutting-edge field, good name

Cons

Administrative system is a little bit sluggish and inefficient, but not a big problem.

"Financial Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mayo has great benefits for all employees, way better than previous employers I've had. Generous PTO, health/dental/vision insurance, tuition reimbursement, back up daycare, sick child daycare, employees get discounts at several businesses around town, etc.

Cons

My particular position is a call center which is very reptitious and gets old fast.

Advice to Management

Its hard to make any changes to the position, the position is essential to the company. Perhaps it would be nice to have more people hired to handle more of the calls.

9. "World renowned healthcare"

Former Employee - Student Pharmacist Intern in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Student Pharmacist Intern in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Be a part of a second-to-none institution that treats its employees like gold

Cons

Need more non-patient care areas (lounges, courtyards, gardens, etc.)

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

10. "Mayo Clinic is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional and good for career growth

Cons

I don't find any cons at this place.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep the feedbacks flowing so that we can improve further.