Mayo Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

Mayo Clinic Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It is interested not only in people's employment/career but also in fostering a sense of community and work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits, great company, great staff, great patients (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, complex matrix management system - makes simple decisions a nightmare to implement (in 15 reviews)

• took over" from the needs of the health care providers (in 14 reviews)

1. "The peers are nice. A beautiful and serene place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mayo Clinic part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Mayo Clinic, They take care of you. They work with you in any situation. Patient Care is their top priority.

Cons

There really aren't any cons. I can't think of one negative possibility at Mayo Clinic of Florida. The doctors, medical staff and other staff are just phenomenal at Mayo Clinic Florida.

Advice to Management

No advice to offer.

"Occurrence System"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mayo Clinic is the best place ever to work when it comes to caring for the patient. The "needs of the patient' truly comes first. I see it every day. I've worked here a very long time and have had the opportunity to move up as I furthered my education. It is a place that encourages you to better yourself and supports those goals.

Cons

Mayo Clinic has a very bizarre absence policy. If you are an hourly employee and are one minute late for work (even if no past issues) - you receive an "OCCURRENCE". If you wake up sick with fever and call in sick - you receive an "OCCURRENCE". If your plumbing or A/C or car broke down and you call in that you must meet the plumber, electrician, mechanic etc. - you receive an "OCCURRENCE". If there is an accident on the road and you run late due to the traffic jam - you receive an "OCCURRENCE". After 6 "OCCURRENCES" there are formal consequences. "OCCURRENCES" drop off after a year has gone by using a 12 month rolling calendar. 10 "OCCURRENCES" and employee is terminated.

Advice to Management

Make decisions on a case-by-case basis instead of blanket "OCCURRENCES" to all when "life happens". This would also address the "Needs of the Patient Come First" as currently many come in sick to avoid the dreaded "OCCURRENCE". We are all adults here. Some supervisors only see the letter of the policy with no room for exceptions. 1 minute late? Please . . .

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Things move slowly due to size of enterprise. Lack of opportunities and development for research fellows.

5. "Research Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company, great work environment, great people, great culture. It felt great to work towards improving medical care for different patients.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about working at Mayo. As you can read in the Pro's above, I had a great time working at the hospital.

Advice to Management

Keep the Mayo culture alive. It felt good to be at a place that strives to be better. I would love to return to the clinic someday.

"If you like bullying this is the place for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part the work environment is pretty good, pay was decent and diversity and inclusiveness are big goals there.

Cons

Management was no help with a lot of issues the overall theme was "deal with it yourself" I was bullied by my immediate co workers for over a year and my numerous pleas for help to my supervisor were blatantly ignored. I even went to local and then Rochester HR for help who all told me that I wasn't being harassed and they wouldn't help me. I saw this happen to other employees in other departments and they got the same treatment from management so they quit.

Advice to Management

You preach inclusiveness and a zero tolerance work place, why don't you practice it before your employees end up in therapy just to go to work and deal with constant harassment. I have documentation of all of it. You're welcome for me not suing for work place harassment because I have a case.

"Great place for a career, avoid communication with management"

Former Employee - RN- BSN in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - RN- BSN in Rochester, MN

Pros

Many opportunities, innovative care approach, generally very helpful and kind staff

Cons

Management, staff tend to form cliques or groups, parking and a focus on doing whatever is best and fastest for the company in resolving issues or problems.

Advice to Management

Try to stay away from the big corporation approach for handling situations

8. "Clinical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with excellent doctors, nurses, and other allied health staff. Patient needs definitely come first in my department. Nice employee gym.

Cons

Very short-staffed, which can hurt patient care. Supervision is lacking, which causes a lot of issues. Parking situation is not ideal - especially in the winter.

"Fair compensation, Good benefits"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation
    Benefits
    Innovation
    Mission
    Annual raises
    Advancement opportunities

Cons

Still hold some archaic values, probably due to age of patient population
    Space is very limited in the lab, as is true for many hospitals
    Disrespect to the medical lab scientists and phlebotomists by nursing and providers, also common in other clinical environments

10. "RN"

Current Employee - RN- BSN in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - RN- BSN in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, friends, education, resume builder, PTO, staffing, resources, hours available, pay

Cons

Can't schedule vacations because you have to request months in advance and then the schedule is posted only 2 weeks before, sometimes later, so you can't book anything like a cruise or airline travel. If I could shout on a mountaintop these words, to reiterate some of the other reviews on here about corporate hospitals, mark my words now: It's just another hospital!!!! It's hospital inpatient nursing! Nothing special about this place at all, not from the RN's perspective.

Advice to Management

Care about nurses as much as you care about patients (your product). Better ingredients, better pizza! Offer better health insurance with lower deductibles and OOP maxs, and lower coinsurance %.

11. "research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic (Less than a year)

Pros

very good place to work and live.

Cons

none, very good place to work.