McAfee Reviews | Glassdoor

McAfee Reviews

Updated November 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One thing that stands out among many positives is work life balance (in 173 reviews)

• Strong example on how to support employees and their work culture (in 53 reviews)

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. If you like to party and drink- this is the culture for you. Fun place to work at if you do not like a professional environment. Great training program.

Cons

Work hard- play harder. Drinking and partying are WAY to emphasized at this place. Women have a very difficult time to move up and get raises.
    You work during the holidays a lot. They work life balance is awful- they could care less if you see family as long as you are making your numbers and making them money. Horrible pay.

Advice to Management

Stop being so corrupt. Give women a chance. Pay your workers better.

"Diversity for diversity sake"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can run around openly sharing your sexuality as long as you are not heterosexual. Non Whites, non Christians and non males are encouraged to apply for jobs and receive promotions. White males need not apply - you're boring and we have too many of you already.

Cons

Diversity for diversity sake will bury this company.

Advice to Management

Get real, get off your PC high horse.

"Poor Quality, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workers are smart, driven and want to produce quality software.

Cons

TPG (the investment firm that purchased most of McAfee from Intel) does not truly care about the products we create. They recently let go a ton of the workforce, including half of the office I work at. They've effectively killed our product and laid off many of my friends and coworkers instead of the incredibly less-effective software developers in Argentina. They'll unfortunately get what they pay for.

Advice to Management

Hire in America if you want to increase the quality of your product. Otherwise you will continue to sell low-rated, low-quality products.

"Management -"

I worked at McAfee full-time

Pros

CEO understands that current operational strategy is from a 20 year old playbook. Can articulate the problem, just can't solve it.

Cons

- Unethical hiring behavior from management and HR, be sure you understand what your grade level is, and that it matches your title. You may find out months later that your not really at the grade level that you assumed you were by your title, and were told by HR when hired.
    - Executive Management team not interested in driving transformation, and solving problems. Solid advice an actual strategic planning is considered disruptive to the status quo.
    - Departments not working together for the common good. Partners, driving significant business, pushed to the background.
    - Executive management does not have the depth of experience to understand basic principles of forecasting linearity, partnership models, market expansion strategies etc.
    - Middle management management looking for the next crisis to jump in late and rescue, instead of designing preventive measures to drive customer sat.
    - New PE firm need to reduce costs creating environment that magnifies the bad behavior, poor leadership, and maintains status quo.

I would not recommend even if you need a job. Not worth the time, customers not renewing flagship product, you will find your self in a no win situation.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to have solid execs with deep experience transforming business, clean out tenured senior management ranks with minimum business experience who fail to understand they are operating on decade old playbook.

5. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None so unless you are a super loser and can't find a job outside you should not even interview in this company.

Cons

benefits come with fine prints and a crooked HR with very little pay deployed by TPG to cheat employees.

No vision no new products, layoffs in santa clara and the next day you hear massive recruitment drive in India.

Again if you can not find any job even at walmart..then ofcourse you may like this company..for others please don't waste your time, people left here in santa clara can not find any other job outside, I have seen them worked with them...mostly 50 plus guys who want to somehow prolong their salaried days are working in McAfee.

Massive immigration rules violations.

Advice to Management

None.

6. "Used to be Good"

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Locally the company was great, great manager, coworkers. The work was challenge.

Cons

Higher up management just cared about number, not people.

Advice to Management

You are already making millions, why not cut your multi-million dollar bonus in half instead of letting hundreds of people go, would be cheaper for the company.

7. "Corporate dinasaur clinging to the past"

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time

Pros

Diverse security product portfolio to work on

Cons

Outdated technology
    No cloud vision
    A sea of B players
    Huge resistance to any sort of change

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so may people from Cisco. They're over-entitled and incredibly unimpressive.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Story, great people on the field, strong sales leadership in the field.

Cons

Sold to TPG, poor leadership at the top, C-Level, has led to lingering quality issues in key endpoint solutions. That has led to support and development challenges to stay relevant and deliver in a timely fashion. Too much time putting out fires and saving logos versus selling to new logos.

Advice to Management

Oversight at the top on how they invest in people and R&D. Move from McAfee name/brand to a new brand. Issues and concerns linger from pre Intel acquisition and post sale to TPG. If they can get rid of the quality issues and deliver on the message it will be an overwhelming success, if not the competition will continue to make them appear irrelevant.

9. "BSA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, culture, autonomy, trust, respect

Cons

unstructured, red-tape, too may reorgs

Advice to Management

Focus is missing

10. "Company still trying to catch viruses"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home
    I made many friends there, but culture doesn't exist
    Ping Pong
    Cafeteria

Cons

Weak raises; were 50% less than the cost of living increase
    Confusing leadership
    Repeats history due to high attrition in upper management
    Stocks were frozen by SEC most of the time
    I was forced to switch from Kaiser and change all my families Dr's and procedures and then they laid me off 3 months later
    They only pay 1/3 of the severance McAFee, Inc and Intel paid.

Advice to Management

Read all this feedback and talk to the contributors because from what I am hearing, during every conversation, is people are getting burned out due to laying workers off and dumping the work on those who made the cut. Many are now looking for jobs to stay ahead of the next layoff.