McAfee Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
Christopher Young

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Too much work load due to which work-life balance will not be good (in 23 reviews)

• Sub par engineers, sub par junior/middle managers, sub par senior management (in 21 reviews)

1. "Lead Data engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work .Good people.

Cons

Lack of energy among employees and management. as no new innovation happening

Advice to Management

Hire and adopt new technologies

2. "Tenure Based Layoff in progress"

Current Employee - Tech Support Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having a mission of protecting customers and delicate items such as their identity gives a sense of purpose
    Tele-Commuting
    Got to do a little travel in early years

Cons

Salary quickly falls below market competition. Only way to get a raise is to get an offer letter elsewhere.
    Then the system will balance out in the next years by giving you sub inflation rate adjustments.
    The company appears to have lost its value on tenured workers. The ones who wore multiple hats to absorb costs so we could reach a new level.

Advice to Management

Don't announce Employee Service Anniversaries during All Hands/QTRLY Meetings, then use that number as a basis to fire/lay them off. IF you are going to get rid of someone who has been there for 15 years, treat then with respect and realize that they have been turning down slightly better offers and only stayed because of a connection to the brand, customers and their peers. Once they learn that Seniority is a bad thing, there will be no more moral, if it isn't already gone.
    If you have extremely talented individuals, don't bring in people from oversees to manage them and blatantly block their career path at the same time.

"layoffs again"

Former Employee - Software in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none I can think of.

Cons

abuse of visas and green card program by fudging responsibilities of employees brought on l1 visas from India.
    Blatant misuse of money to help non immigrants get their permanent residency.

Advice to Management

today we let go many citizens at the same time millions of dollars are being spent to bring more on transfer and other visas, please don't do that.

Does the CEO know how many people on non immigrant visas are working in US? how much money is being spent on them? Also does he know that managers are fudging responsibilities of such individuals to show them as managers to get their permanent residence under the EB1 program? Most of these guys came to US 2-4 years back and have approved h1b visas to work and hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent for that yet because getting them the green card is more important so that is done at the cost of firing good honest working citizens, it happened today.

why millions of dollars are spent on non immigrants while citizens are let go? why managers are acting so dishonestly and submitting job responsibilities that are inaccurate at least and an actual fraud?

"Formally a great company. Going through rough times"

Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people
    - Overall being a larger firm, processes are in place
    - IT availability

Cons

- Massive holes in leadership right now
    - Morale within certain departments very low. No communication and so many employees have left due to uncertainty and mood

Advice to Management

- Act rapidly to stop the loss of intellectual property and consider team activities to improve employee morale
    - Communicate plans for layoffs, new leadership, and timing to alleviate FUD
    - Promotion from within has always been an issue in many teams. The tendency is to bring in external hires when talented resources already exist internally.

"McAfee in Santa Clara, CA"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local teams consist of good people, but we are loosing more and more to attrition in the last few months. Either to Intel Proper, or to other companies...

Cons

Remote teams are a hassle to deal with. They are frequently out of touch, easily offended, and almost always have an excuse. Promotions are more political than merit based.

Advice to Management

Moving back to McAfee, we have lost stock options & accrued sabbatical time off. Our 401k contribution from McAfee is negligible compared to Intel's. There is no incentive for employees who have stayed loyal to continue to do so. Management should expect to see significantly increased attrition as employees look for better opportunities in the coming months.

"Wait for the dust to settle"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good compensation. Good work / life balance (for the most part). Good subsidized cafeteria, and close to 101.

Cons

If you like getting things done, it is a frustrating place to work. Too many engineers who have been there for 20+ years who are just waiting to retire. I suspect that our new overlords (TRG) are going to demand higher profitability, and a lot of these people are going to be RIFed. Not going to be a fun place to be for a while. .

Advice to Management

Make changes quickly. Nobody wants to feel like their project isn't important. If it isn't important, cut it loose and reassign your resources.

"This is a company in transition"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many years of experience in the security space

Cons

McAfee's business has 2 main focuses: it's consumer business and it's enterprise/goverment business. I have been in the consumer side of the world for my entire tenure at McAfee. My comments only apply to the consumer side. I don't know what is happening in the enterprise side of things.

McAfee is in the process of spinning out of Intel and becoming a private company in April 2017. Unfortunately, management on the consumer side is burning any good will it had with its employees. It makes promises of no layoffs and then turns around and lays off a bunch of people. Many long term employees have been laid off. Everyone I talk to is waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other question that I keep hearing is whether there will be enough critical mass for the new company to survive.

It's very sad.

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Learn security stuffs, manager is friendly, good environment in the team.

Cons

Too many Indians work there. No diversity and politics ruined engineering.

Advice to Management

More diversity

"Sub-par by Silicon Valley standards"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at McAfee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So much is broken, that there is room to fix something - anything - and shine.

Cons

Sub par engineers, sub par junior/middle managers, sub par senior management.
    Sub par salary. Sub par work. Sub par benefits.
    Antiquated products. Behind the curve customers.
    No one seems to care.
    It's cute that they are headquartered in Silicon Valley. They are oblivious to silicon valley ethos.

Advice to Management

Keep milking the cash cow until you can. There are just so many things that are wrong, that It's unlikely you'll be able to turn this around.

"Director"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at McAfee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, very collaborative. Growing enthusiasm as we move on with TPG and keep ties with Intel. Can't wait until 2017.

Cons

Some staff too tenured and out of touch with current day practices. Not often but find these seasoned employees to be robotic about process, limits theirs and teams around them to grow.