McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews | Glassdoor

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews

Updated November 1, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Terrence McCabe, Esq., Marc Weisberg, Esq. (Emeritus) and Edward Conway, Esq.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It’s a great place to grab a year or so of office experience but most definitely not anywhere to build a career or stay for the long haul" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great people to work with; coworkers not management" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, management is horrible" (in 13 reviews)

• "high turnover, management is rude" (in 12 reviews)

"You Should Work Here"

Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at the firm for many years and I can honestly say that I miss the place. The people you work with are great. If you get to know the managers, they're great too. They're working hard to try to make it a better working environment for everyone, but the fact is that you need to sit at your computer and work for 8-9 hours a day as with most office jobs. Many of the people complaining here don't want to do that as they are coming from retail or restaurant jobs where they can socialize all day.

If you're good at it you will likely be promoted, and you can gain valuable work experience. There are some very good lawyers at the firm and you can learn a lot from them, but the job is truly what you make of it. If you go in with a bad attitude and act like you don't want to be there then you are not going to succeed here. The partners want their attorneys and staff to care and to be invested in the work that they are doing, and honestly that's a good thing. It keeps the business open and the clients wanting to send their business to the firm. If you show that you're invested then you will be rewarded with promotions and pay increases.

The work/life balance is much better now that most of the 2008 economic mess has been cleared up. You are not going to work 50-70 hour weeks at this place and this is a huge benefit to anyone with a family.

Cons

The pay is simply lower than the market rate. The benefits are not as good as what the federal government and many other private employers in the area provide (because of the federal government).

There is a lot of office drama, and it can be difficult to avoid. If you can successfully navigate the office politics it's a great jumping off point.

It is almost universally viewed as a jumping off point, and not a career, however. Most of that is because it can be very difficult to determine what track you may be on as an attorney inside the firm. The track to partnership is less than clear and there is no middle ground between associate and partner. This is why many attorneys (dozens in the time that I was there) have moved on to different jobs. Even the attorneys and staff that loved the place and wanted to be there ended up going elsewhere at the end of the day because no one knows how they are viewed by management. Most of the interactions are negative simply because management doesn't have time for positive interactions.

It's also very unclear what might happen if an attorney sticks around for 20 years. Most law firms give you at least some idea of what you might be able to achieve, and how much money you might make some day if you're offered partnership.

The lack of a 401K contribution from the employer is a major problem for the attorneys. None of us are going to have pensions and saving for retirement is especially important for young attorneys.

A clear path to partnership is a must. Added benefits for employees that have been there for several years is also a must. Constructive criticism should be allowed in an open fashion. Many people like to work here, but don't feel as though their legitimate criticisms or concerns are addressed. Eventually that leads to a frustration that causes them to seek other employment, and it's not even because they don't like the firm or the job. Keep moving forward and this place will eventually be a preferred employer in Laurel.

Advice to Management

2. "An OK first office job"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

Gets your foot in the door with the legal field. Some of the people are friendly. Lots of great food options around. Time off is pretty decent

Cons

Same routine everyday, sitting at your cubicle for 8 hours everyday. Pay is way too low.

"Yikes."

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are chill and they give free food.

Cons

You get in trouble for going to the bathroom. Not to mention they pay you very little for the work you put in as a legal assistant. Some attorneys talk to you like you're a jerk ..once again no respect.

Advice to Management

Treat your ALL employees with basic respect. Pay a livable wage.

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Phila, PA

Pros

It's a good place to grab legal experience or general office experience but I wouldn't recommend staying any longer than a year. The coworkers are nice people and you'll bond over how much you hate it here.

Cons

If I could give less than 1 star, I would. They treat their employees like crap. I've been lectured for having to use the bathroom. The benefits suck and they basically pay starvation wages. It's nearly impossible to get a raise and the only movement you can make is lateral unless you're a brown noser. I guess they think they can make up for the low pay and crap benefits by giving us junk food a few times a month and doing their silly little shareholder shoutouts. There is also constant gossip in the office. They ask way too much of you for paying so little. It's baffling to me how the shareholders can sleep at night since they make a killing off of ruining people's lives and represent some of the biggest scumbags in the banking industry. This is hardly a reputable law firm. Unless you're desperate for legal experience, I would recommend running the other way.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a reason to want to work for you and treat them with dignity and respect.

"Employer of last resort"

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

Most of the work is easy and work life balance is alright because there's no requirement to answer emails after hours or bring work home with you. It's pretty easy to get a job and generally low stress if you don't let all the drama and unfairness bother you.

Cons

The culture at this company is like an elementary school playground. If you're not part of the right clique then you can forget about getting a promotion. Anyone who says managers don't play favorites is kidding themselves. There are some employees who make mistakes constantly but still get raises because they're friends with the managers. No one is allowed to criticize them either. It doesn't matter if you have to fix all their mistakes, you just have to keep your mouth shut and deal with it.

Managers only care about themselves and don't look out for their employees. They closed the Philly office because of a power outage and decided they weren't going to pay us for those hours. It's not our fault they didn't have a backup plan. The pay and benefits are already low so that only added insult to injury. They also took away our bonuses and have done nothing to make up for it.

Most of us are in constant fear of losing our jobs because there have been a lot of layoffs recently and they shut down a couple offices that were associated with the firm. A lot of top employees including several of the firm's directors have also left in the past few months. Turnover has always been high and it's hard to do your job well when you're constantly dealing with new people who don't understand how things work.

The computer systems can be really frustrating too and it takes forever to get help with them. Sometimes we spend hours sitting around with nothing to do because we're waiting for help with our computers or we lose all our work because they crash. You can send an email and not get a response for days. Between that and the constant turnover we end up wasting a lot of time, then we get criticized by managers because they don't know how to manage and rely on a bunch of outdated reports to track our activity. There's zero consideration for things that are out of our control and no appreciation for all the problems we put up with or have to fix ourselves.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive about managing instead of hiding in your private offices all day. It's not our job to bring problems to you especially since you're all so unapproachable and biased. You should make more of an effort to get feedback from employees. Reading the suggestion box once every few months is the sorriest excuse for management I've ever heard of.

"Great place to work and gain experience"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few years ago there would have been plenty to complain about, but the higher ups are making a lot of great changes. More flexible with hours (now they allow you to make up hours instead of having to use all your time).
    In walking distance Westmont speed line.
    Great places to eat nearby.

If you do your work and don’t walk around the office, doing nothing but socializing, you will move up and learn a lot more.

Cons

Again, a few years ago I would have had a lot but the office is doing much more better with the treatment the good hard working employees and there is no more favoritism in the office.

"Worst job I ever had !!!!"

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

My coworkers are a great bunch of people.

Cons

Pay your employees more money. If you are lucky enough to be given a raise once a year, it's usually a whole dollar per hour, unless you're management. There was a power cut in our building the other day and everyone was sent home because the building was evacuated. You would think we would be paid for the rest of our day, right? You would be wrong. There was an email sent to the office stating we could make up the lost time, use our own accrued time or take it unpaid. How on earth do they justify doing this? A lot of unhappy employees is the result of this mean decision. It was not our fault the electricity went out. Apparently, they can't pay us for the 1-2hrs the employees missed, 30mins in some cases as it went off around 4pm.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Maybe thank some different employees for a job well done in the silly monthly magazine. We're all fed up seeing the same names in there every month.

"Don't fall for their empty promises like I did."

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, super easy to get a job here, some of the people are nice but they're rarely the ones in management positions.

Cons

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel I have a moral obligation to warn anyone who might consider working at this disaster of a company.

This place is basically the opposite of everything you should look for in an employer. The atmosphere is about as upbeat as a funeral. It's the type of company that movies like Office Space are based on except there's nothing funny about it. The office itself looks like it was designed for emotionless worker drones; a sea of empty beige walls and equally bland cubicles everywhere you look. They claim you're allowed to have a radio at your desk but that's not even remotely practical thanks to the open office plan. You can hear every cough, sneeze, whisper, mouse click, and keyboard clack within 20 feet.

Because this is a foreclosure mill the work isn't just boring and repetitive, it's also emotionally draining. We're doing the dirty work for some of the most despised corporations in America. We get phone calls on a regular basis from homeowners who are behind on their mortgage through no fault of their own, but it makes no difference to us. Our job is to foreclose on them, fight their bankruptcy claims and evict them if necessary. No one with a conscience or a heart can be proud to do this type of job. I'm always embarrassed when friends ask what type of work our firm does and I usually try to avoid the topic altogether.

If you're foolish enough to work hard at this company, you'll eventually realize there's no recognition or reward for your effort. All of the extra profits from your hard work will be shamelessly pocketed by the shareholders and executives while you get a raise that barely keeps up with inflation. The superficial tokens of appreciation and half-hearted 'Thank You' emails only serve as a constant reminder of how little the firm's owners care about their employees. If you want a preview of how they'll treat you once you work here, just look at the responses they've posted on this website: Insincere, condescending, dismissive, and completely tone deaf. That was exactly the attitude I encountered every time I tried to bring issues to the attention of management.

I was told there would be ongoing training and plenty of opportunities for advancement but that couldn't be further from the truth. I've never received any training aside from the mandatory refreshers on company and client policies, which are a complete waste of time. In fact, almost everything you learn here will be equally useless unless you want to spend the rest of your career jumping from one foreclosure mill to another. I've also never seen a single opportunity to apply for an internal promotion, everything they've offered internally has been entry level at best. There have been plenty of higher-level job openings, but I never saw any of them listed internally and they were all filled by outside employees. It's not surprising because we can all see they have no faith in their own employees and no intention of investing in us, but they could at least have the guts to be honest about it.

None of the benefits at this company are even remotely competitive. The only affordable healthcare option they offer is a partially subsidized high-deductible plan (with no subsidy at all for family members). The 401(k) is basically pointless since there's no employer matching. You're better off investing in your own IRA if you have any money left after paying bills. You'll start with only 1 week of vacation. No, that's not a typo: One week of vacation. Most companies are offering anywhere from 3-5 weeks + sick time, but you won't get 3 weeks of vacation at this company until your fifth year of employment (I sincerely pity anyone who gets trapped in this nightmare for that long). The rest of the benefits they offer aren't even worth the paper they're written on.

In summary, you should only take a job at this company as an absolute last resort, and you should start looking for a new job before your first day here. If you don't, you could end up like most of the long-term employees who are here now: No savings, no useful skills, and no way out.

"law clerk"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway part-time

Pros

Everyone was nice and supportive.

Cons

Work was boring and simple and routine.

Advice to Management

Learn employee's names

"Ideal job for college grads with aspirations of law school that want to gain practical legal experience"

Current Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is friendly and management has made a conscious effort to improve the employee experience. The attorneys and managers are knowledgeable and generous with their time to help employees learn and grow. If you show that you can do good work, there is ample opportunity to excel and advance.

Cons

Limited cell phone use in the office.