McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews | Glassdoor

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews

Updated February 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Terrence McCabe, Esq., Marc Weisberg, Esq. (Emeritus) and Edward Conway, Esq.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I've worked at the firm for over 5 years and started out in an entry level position (in 9 reviews)

• s a great place to grab a year or so of office experience but most definitely not anywhere to build a career or stay for the long haul (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, revolving door of employees, drama (in 12 reviews)

• Most of the office has been with the company for less than 6 months or so, because there is high turnover (in 11 reviews)

1. "Hard Work Pays Off"

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at MWC as an entry level employee 7 years ago. I came in with no experience and I wasn't sure, initially, if this was the path I wanted to venture down. However, my efforts were immediately noticed and I saw room for continued growth and learning.

I have been promoted several times during my tenure with the firm, and I've seen the same happen to several of my colleagues. McCabe likes to promote from within...and I can attest to the fact that hard work and continued efforts are noticed.

The firm is continuously changing for the positive and its truly a great place to be and a great company to be apart of.

Cons

When I initially started this list may have been considerably longer, but as it stands now I have no glaring oppositional views and I'm excited to see what the future brings.

Advice to Management

Keep working collectively with all employees as we continue on our path to success.

2. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and the supervising attorneys are helpful and congenial.

Cons

Management is less than concerned with company culture

"Employer of choice"

Former Employee - Law Clerk/Associate in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Law Clerk/Associate in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly. You are so busy that you will never be bored.

Cons

This place is just like a high school. It is more important for management to gossip than manage the office. Management does not have management skills. Attorneys lack of experience. Most of the attorneys are recently admitted to the Bar and they don't have experience in Foreclosure. People are not treated equally. if you are not in good terms with the Foreclosure Managers, your days are counted. Shareholders' best friends get promoted and hold the manager positions.

Please read the review before you accept an offer from this place. Unless you are homeless, don't know waste your time working for this company.

Advice to Management

Take care your employees and they will take care your client.

"It’s so easy to make this company better. Just do it."

Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of my coworkers are fantastic. Incredibly kind and generous and understanding and can make the really rough days here bearable. Truly kindred spirits. There are staff members here who are amazing at their jobs and are glad to answer questions and show you how to do things.

The tasks themselves are pretty easy to learn so long as you pay attention, take and read notes and ask questions. The difficulties in the job really only revolve around the volume of work and haphazard upper management.

It’s a great place to grab a year or so of office experience but most definitely not anywhere to build a career or stay for the long haul.

Cons

The best advice I can offer to any prospective hire is to keep your head down and remain as mediocre as possible. Don’t let on that you’re too capable as your responsibilities will increase but your paycheck most definitely will not.

Everyone across the board has been begging for better compensation. I am considered management and I barely make anymore than I was prior to being bumped up the ladder. Compared to a lot of other firms in the same industry, the pay rate here is low and a majority of the turnover comes from exhausted overworked and underpaid solid employees getting offered better compensation from their competitors.

We have been getting a lot of emails and meetings and claims from on high about how they are aware the “culture” is not the best and they are trying to make good on fixing it. But it still feels like too little too late in a lot of ways and a lot of it just feels like talk. At the end of the day the culture for you will be “overworked, underpaid, under appreciated” if you’re a good employee, “tolerable because I float under the radar” or “I do as little as possible and continue to get away with it and if they ever fire me, oh well.”

Also, instead of hiring new staff when someone leaves, they just dump that workload on an already overworked competent person and wonder why things aren’t as efficient as they once were.

Advice to Management

To the uppermost tier of management: Pay. Your. Employees. More. Bottom. Line. There are huge issues when your best employees quit en masse to work at your competitors instead. This is the biggest reason. Your employees will be more patient and forgiving of other issues if they are at least making a livable wage.

To office level management: listen to your team leads. They know their departments best and know how they work the best. Stop shaking things up for them. Give them more power in hiring for their departments and building strong teams. Quit giving lackluster employees chance after chance because this just makes good employees feel even less appreciated. We are told to “ask for help” and are told that we do not, but we do. A lot. And often. We simply aren’t being heard.

It doesn’t have to be this hard. If I got paid more and appreciated more I would honestly bump this review up at least two stars.

5. "Investing now for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fresh leadership styles are implementing changes and making investments to make this place a premier destination to launch a career. Thoughtful polices on time off, new and enhanced benefits, office parties, occasional free lunches, Foosball tournaments, and an environment where you will hustle, learn and grow. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The industry is high volume and fast paced. There is a lot of responsibility a lot earlier in your career than at other organizations and in other industries.

Advice to Management

We're not there yet, but continue on the present course. There is a lot of positive feedback bubbling up. Consistency and determination are key.

"CYQUALITIME - The cycle of sucking the quality out of your employees in record time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this job is the bonding over the shared misery with your co-workers. The friendships you make are really the only positive and lets be honest, friends don't pay the bills so if you are in desperate need of a friend you might find one here. The staff, most attorneys, and some of the mid and lower level managers are really great.

Cons

Wow where to start, pay is horrendous. They would rather try to entice a new hire than pay the people who already know how to do the job. Now if you show any ability to do a good job then guess what, you get increasing more work added to you until you can no longer perform your job functions and then are told how lucky you are to work here. But don't fear, you can always go to HR for assistance, well that is if you don't mind her running behind your back and sabotaging your career as she tells you she totally agrees that you are not being treated fairly. The attorneys are a revolving door as well and they will let anyone go who does not agree with the micromanaging that the managing shareholder is so found of. The managing shareholder would rather waste your day with meetings that never solve anything or send you a 100 emails asking questions about stuff that was resolved months ago because he hasn't got around to reading the email on the subject when it use to be an issue. If you're unemployed and cannot get a job at McDonalds or Burger King then this might work to pay the bills, well that is if you can live without insurance because the benefit package is worse than the pay. Any attorney or manager that has been here over 3 years is probably part of the problem with this place because all the good employees are broken down, lose hope and eventually leave, while the worst employees rise to the top as they are the only ones with experience left. If you are looking for a collegiate environment you will not find it here, think of it more like prison without the physical hostility but all the same mental abuse.

Advice to Management

People give management advice all the time. Every exit interview says the same thing about the issues here and while HR will agree to your face the moment you leave everything is blamed on the leaving employee and management will never acknowledge they need to change.

"Legal assistant"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

One of the only pros of working for this firm was the staff you worked with and the small amount of training you received,

Cons

Horrible benefits, micromanagement, poor training, poor management and little paid time off.

"Low pay, terrible management, no hope of improvement"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, most of us have bonded over our mutual hatred of the firm's current management. Team leads are so incompetent that you can literally slack off for weeks at a time and they don't even notice, so it's pretty low stress if you don't take it too seriously (and you shouldn't take it seriously since they don't care about their employees at all).

Cons

- Minimal benefits
    - Poor training
    - High turnover
    - Depressing work environment
    - Not allowed to listen to music, not even through ear buds
    - Extremely limited opportunities for advancement. They'd rather hire new employees than invest in training current ones
    - No reward for hard work
    - Annual reviews are a joke (always months late) and the raises are pathetic
    - You'll only learn niche skills that are basically useless outside the company

This is not a place where you can start a career or even learn skills that will carry over to your career elsewhere. It's a last resort that you should only accept if you're absolutely desperate for a job and can't get hired anywhere else. Even working at a fast food chain would give you better long-term prospects.

The firm's current management is completely out of touch and only cares about the bottom line. Employees are seen as disposable and expected to be grateful for the fact that they even have a job. The COO is so clueless that he thinks employee morale can be fixed with junk food and shout outs.

Managers keep mentioning all these company-wide initiatives like the "one firm experience", our "mission to mars", "cyqualitime" and becoming an "employer of choice" but it's all talk and no substance. Nothing ever changes and the shareholders are the only ones who benefit from your hard work. The shareholders are making millions while the COO blames "the industry" and "regulations" for the tiny paychecks the rest of us get, as if we're dumb enough to believe that...

When people complained about how low the pay is, the COO suggested they volunteer to do more work so the firm can be more profitable. Sure, we'll volunteer to line your pockets with even more money... not! He wonders why people are unhappy but apparently never thought to look in the mirror. Unfortunately, he's surrounded himself with a bunch of equally clueless brown-nosers who don't want to jeopardize their 6-figure paychecks by rocking the boat, so nothing will ever improve. I could write an entire book about how bad this company is, but you should be getting the picture by now.

Oh, and if you're wondering where those few positive reviews came from, some of those overpaid, incompetent brown-nosers are attempting to do damage control because clients complained about the firm's poor reputation. Look at the review from May 5, 2017 if you don't believe me. Like I said, nothing ever changes.

Do yourself a favor: Run away and don't look back.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who actually knows how to manage a company. Invest in your employees and reward the ones who work hard instead of keeping all the money for yourselves.

You can't fix the company by posting fake reviews.

"Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Melville, NY

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their Melville office I worked in is in a convenient location near the highway.

Cons

The office had just opened up in Melville when I began. There were close to 25 people in one large room which made it loud and distracting to work in. I could hear every conversation in person or that coworkers were having on the phone, so there was no confidentiality. There were no cubicles except for the attorneys so it was entirely open. Company is very stingy towards employees when it comes to pay, overtime pay, and benefits. They are very uptight. I once stepped away from my desk to make a quick call in the hall to my doctor and I was told that wasn't allowed. They charge for office coffee. HR was a joke. Seems like they hire people with no experience. Extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and see treat them better. Also, I hope that they now have cubicles and separate offices. Working in one room with basically no cubicles was unbearable.

10. "Decent"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, 9-5, decent PTO.

Cons

Pay, upper management can be overbearing and very out of touch.

Advice to Management

Compensate worthwhile employees.