McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews | Glassdoor

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews

Updated May 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Terrence McCabe, Esq., Marc Weisberg, Esq. (Emeritus) and Edward Conway, Esq.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I've worked at the firm for over 5 years and started out in an entry level position (in 9 reviews)

• Great people to work with; coworkers not management (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, management is rude (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay, revolving door of employees, drama (in 12 reviews)

"Hard Work Pays Off"

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at MWC as an entry level employee 7 years ago. I came in with no experience and I wasn't sure, initially, if this was the path I wanted to venture down. However, my efforts were immediately noticed and I saw room for continued growth and learning.

I have been promoted several times during my tenure with the firm, and I've seen the same happen to several of my colleagues. McCabe likes to promote from within...and I can attest to the fact that hard work and continued efforts are noticed.

The firm is continuously changing for the positive and its truly a great place to be and a great company to be apart of.

Cons

When I initially started this list may have been considerably longer, but as it stands now I have no glaring oppositional views and I'm excited to see what the future brings.

Advice to Management

Keep working collectively with all employees as we continue on our path to success.

"Don't make this career mistake"

Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an attorney you will get some management experience

Cons

Every day is spent stewing in the acrimonious toxicity that has been cultivated by upper management. Passive aggressive emails, underhanded commentary and the fake face to face hallway smiles define this place.

You've heard the term "foreclosure mill;" this this the poster child. You will get weekly emails from partner level management to all of the attorneys with the times everyone clocked in in the morning (no kudos for staying late at night though!) This is their way of public shaming.

You will get daily reports about how many "to-dos" you have clicked. This is the lone way management judges your unrealistic work volume. If you're in court for a few days don't expect management to back off you to-do quota or even know that you were in court.

There is no freedom of thought or work product here. Attorneys are just drones clicking buttons. When someone cheaper comes along management will fire you, I witnessed this several times. It's a shame too, I watched lots of talent leave or be fired. Leaving the firm was the best day of my life- no exaggeration.

I plead you to avoid this place. If you must take the job; negotiate pay. All of the talent fled and they're desperate. That said, take less pay for another opportunity.

PS no 401k matching and lackluster health care. They just started a 401k program at all and acted like they were on the forefront of employee rights.

Advice to Management

Take ANY management classes

3. "Parallel"

Former Employee - Parallel in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Parallel in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, some nice people work there

Cons

Dingy and oppressive, employees expected to complete unrealistic goals

4. "Unprofessional Workplace"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

The only pro to working here for a beginner attorney is that, depending on the department, there is a chance to take on a variety of tasks with minimal supervision.

Cons

The staff turnover is quick and l saw people promoted beyond their skills based on tenure. During my time there I saw almost all the members of the team I worked on cry because of the stress and disrespect. Everyone was constantly monitored down to how long their bathroom breaks were. It is an unprofessional environment where doing a good job was not a priority. There was often shouting and staff members were frequently written up for trivial things.

Advice to Management

Invest in the staff and attorneys and realize that it costs money to do as much volume as you have and that people react better to praise than yelling and coercion. Candy and other insignificant perks mean nothing when everyone is overworked and miserable.

"Do not disregard the negative reviews"

Pros

If you are absolutely desperate for a job, they will hire just about anyone. You will bond with others in your shared state of misery and be happy for them when they finally get out.

Cons

Every negative review on here is accurate. You will be mistreated, overworked, underpaid, and made to feel disposable. The positive reviews on here are completely fabricated. I have sat in a room with shareholders and been told that I HAD to leave positive reviews to do damage control. (As soon as they see this, they will liking try to find out who wrote this). A year ago, the staff was a completely different group than today. Over 50% of the staff from a year ago has quit. It doesn’t matter if you are an attorney, manager, or legal assistant, anyone you talk to in the firm talks about leaving at some point. This job will suck the life out of you and make you miss restaurant or retail jobs.

Advice to Management

Retire

6. "good experience, bad training"

Former Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you learn as you go and walk away with some knowledge in the laws of foreclosure

Cons

horrible training, company won't invest in you beyond 1 month, revolving door.

Advice to Management

take time to train your employees properly so you won't have to fire then hire then fire. Allow employees their full 90 day probation for proper training.

7. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freindly culture , easy hiring process.

Cons

high turnover, management is rude.

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Response

Apr 16, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Congratulations on a smooth hiring process! Please know that reducing turnover is a goal of the HR team. Your input is important to achieving that goal. We aim for a pleasant and rewarding... More

"Hard work doesn't pay off. Start your career at McCabe as a brown-nosing slacker and you may have a future there."

Pros

The location of the Philadelphia office building is probably the only Pro. It's conveniently located downtown, easily accessible and surrounded by great food and ample shopping.

Cons

Where to start? First off, this company rather put on the appearance that they care about their employees by giving them junk food once a month but in reality, they could be using that extra money to cushion their employee's paychecks. Second, when someone leaves they don't replace them. Instead they'll overwhelm any capable worker with extra work until they eventually drive them out as well. The only reward you get for working hard is getting more work added to your pile while your more laid back coworkers sit back and enjoy their days talking. Third, if you are due for an annual review, don't expect much. It will be months late and the increase will not be noticeable. Lastly, if you are a POC don't expect to be treated the same. Less pay and less opportunities for promotion. They would rather hire managers from the outside than promote within especially if the capable employee is a POC. I could go on and on about what's wrong with the company but I'm getting annoyed just writing about them.

Advice to Management

Upper management should spend less time gossiping and talking about their personal lives so that they can focus on their employees needs. It will probably be impossible for them though.

"Response to 2/14/18 review"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Laurel, MD

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't post on these sites because the anonymity allows people to post stuff without any accountability. But, when I saw the post dated 2/14/18, I couldn't not respond.

Here are some thoughts for the person who wrote the review:

Quit... if you are so unhappy, then take your negativity somewhere else. The rest of us who are working hard and trying to make a living don't need or want you working with us.

If the pay is so bad.. then quit. Stop complaining.... just quit. Find a job somewhere else and let's see how long they put up with your juvenile attitude.

You don't like to work hard? You don't like to be challenged with additional tasks? You don't like the attorneys? You don't like reading emails? You don't like the management? Why are you here? Just quit.

Where have you been for the last year?

We have a new 401K, flexible arrival time in the morning, choices over our start times, third Friday parties, Foosball tournaments (with a trip to Philadelphia and then West Palm Beach for the winners), birthday celebrations, holiday parties where gifts (including flat screen televisions) are given to us, internal promotions, are often asked what we need to get our jobs done, random gift cards, got to choose our own office plants for the teams and can make anonymous suggestions using Suggestion Ox.

Cons

Because of the high volume of work and client demands, it is sometimes difficult to have a good life work balance.

I would still like to be able to listen to music with my headphones.

We all would like to make more money, that's just normal.

Advice to Management

Things are not perfect, but I like the culture that is being created in the office. And, I am not alone. Thank you.

10. "The worst foreclosure firm"

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

Honestly, none that I can come up with.

Cons

A company that does not care about their employees and is sloppy. There is an extremely high turn over rate and cannot hold onto Attorneys.