McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews | Glassdoor

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Reviews

Updated August 8, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Terrence McCabe, Esq., Marc Weisberg, Esq. (Emeritus) and Edward Conway, Esq.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It’s a great place to grab a year or so of office experience but most definitely not anywhere to build a career or stay for the long haul" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great people to work with; coworkers not management" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "high turnover, management is rude" (in 12 reviews)

• "Low pay, management is horrible" (in 12 reviews)

"Great place to work and gain experience"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Westmont, NJ

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few years ago there would have been plenty to complain about, but the higher ups are making a lot of great changes. More flexible with hours (now they allow you to make up hours instead of having to use all your time).
    In walking distance Westmont speed line.
    Great places to eat nearby.

If you do your work and don’t walk around the office, doing nothing but socializing, you will move up and learn a lot more.

Cons

Again, a few years ago I would have had a lot but the office is doing much more better with the treatment the good hard working employees and there is no more favoritism in the office.

"Worst job I ever had !!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

My coworkers are a great bunch of people.

Cons

Pay your employees more money. If you are lucky enough to be given a raise once a year, it's usually a whole dollar per hour, unless you're management. There was a power cut in our building the other day and everyone was sent home because the building was evacuated. You would think we would be paid for the rest of our day, right? You would be wrong. There was an email sent to the office stating we could make up the lost time, use our own accrued time or take it unpaid. How on earth do they justify doing this? A lot of unhappy employees is the result of this mean decision. It was not our fault the electricity went out. Apparently, they can't pay us for the 1-2hrs the employees missed, 30mins in some cases as it went off around 4pm.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Maybe thank some different employees for a job well done in the silly monthly magazine. We're all fed up seeing the same names in there every month.

"Don't fall for their empty promises like I did."

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, super easy to get a job here, some of the people are nice but they're rarely the ones in management positions.

Cons

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel I have a moral obligation to warn anyone who might consider working at this disaster of a company.

This place is basically the opposite of everything you should look for in an employer. The atmosphere is about as upbeat as a funeral. It's the type of company that movies like Office Space are based on except there's nothing funny about it. The office itself looks like it was designed for emotionless worker drones; a sea of empty beige walls and equally bland cubicles everywhere you look. They claim you're allowed to have a radio at your desk but that's not even remotely practical thanks to the open office plan. You can hear every cough, sneeze, whisper, mouse click, and keyboard clack within 20 feet.

Because this is a foreclosure mill the work isn't just boring and repetitive, it's also emotionally draining. We're doing the dirty work for some of the most despised corporations in America. We get phone calls on a regular basis from homeowners who are behind on their mortgage through no fault of their own, but it makes no difference to us. Our job is to foreclose on them, fight their bankruptcy claims and evict them if necessary. No one with a conscience or a heart can be proud to do this type of job. I'm always embarrassed when friends ask what type of work our firm does and I usually try to avoid the topic altogether.

If you're foolish enough to work hard at this company, you'll eventually realize there's no recognition or reward for your effort. All of the extra profits from your hard work will be shamelessly pocketed by the shareholders and executives while you get a raise that barely keeps up with inflation. The superficial tokens of appreciation and half-hearted 'Thank You' emails only serve as a constant reminder of how little the firm's owners care about their employees. If you want a preview of how they'll treat you once you work here, just look at the responses they've posted on this website: Insincere, condescending, dismissive, and completely tone deaf. That was exactly the attitude I encountered every time I tried to bring issues to the attention of management.

I was told there would be ongoing training and plenty of opportunities for advancement but that couldn't be further from the truth. I've never received any training aside from the mandatory refreshers on company and client policies, which are a complete waste of time. In fact, almost everything you learn here will be equally useless unless you want to spend the rest of your career jumping from one foreclosure mill to another. I've also never seen a single opportunity to apply for an internal promotion, everything they've offered internally has been entry level at best. There have been plenty of higher-level job openings, but I never saw any of them listed internally and they were all filled by outside employees. It's not surprising because we can all see they have no faith in their own employees and no intention of investing in us, but they could at least have the guts to be honest about it.

None of the benefits at this company are even remotely competitive. The only affordable healthcare option they offer is a partially subsidized high-deductible plan (with no subsidy at all for family members). The 401(k) is basically pointless since there's no employer matching. You're better off investing in your own IRA if you have any money left after paying bills. You'll start with only 1 week of vacation. No, that's not a typo: One week of vacation. Most companies are offering anywhere from 3-5 weeks + sick time, but you won't get 3 weeks of vacation at this company until your fifth year of employment (I sincerely pity anyone who gets trapped in this nightmare for that long). The rest of the benefits they offer aren't even worth the paper they're written on.

In summary, you should only take a job at this company as an absolute last resort, and you should start looking for a new job before your first day here. If you don't, you could end up like most of the long-term employees who are here now: No savings, no useful skills, and no way out.

"law clerk"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway part-time

Pros

Everyone was nice and supportive.

Cons

Work was boring and simple and routine.

Advice to Management

Learn employee's names

"Ideal job for college grads with aspirations of law school that want to gain practical legal experience"

Current Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is friendly and management has made a conscious effort to improve the employee experience. The attorneys and managers are knowledgeable and generous with their time to help employees learn and grow. If you show that you can do good work, there is ample opportunity to excel and advance.

Cons

Limited cell phone use in the office.

6. "Not bad for a first job if you do not have any experience."

Former Employee - Billing Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Billing Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Would hire you without experience. So a good opportunity to put your foot in the door.

Cons

The working environment was very strict for no reason. Turnover was high.

"Legal assistant"

I have been working at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

Not sure good experience is a plus

Cons

Not sure micro managed and being looked at the time

McCabe, Weisberg & Conway Response

Jun 25, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Please discuss any concerns with "micromanagement" with your supervisor. Your supervisor is vested in your success and wants what is best for you and your team. If necessary, please feel free to... More

"Don't make this career mistake"

Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Attorney in Laurel, MD

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an attorney you will get some management experience

Cons

Every day is spent stewing in the acrimonious toxicity that has been cultivated by upper management. Passive aggressive emails, underhanded commentary and the fake face to face hallway smiles define this place.

You've heard the term "foreclosure mill;" this this the poster child. You will get weekly emails from partner level management to all of the attorneys with the times everyone clocked in in the morning (no kudos for staying late at night though!) This is their way of public shaming.

You will get daily reports about how many "to-dos" you have clicked. This is the lone way management judges your unrealistic work volume. If you're in court for a few days don't expect management to back off you to-do quota or even know that you were in court.

There is no freedom of thought or work product here. Attorneys are just drones clicking buttons. When someone cheaper comes along management will fire you, I witnessed this several times. It's a shame too, I watched lots of talent leave or be fired. Leaving the firm was the best day of my life- no exaggeration.

I plead you to avoid this place. If you must take the job; negotiate pay. All of the talent fled and they're desperate. That said, take less pay for another opportunity.

PS no 401k matching and lackluster health care. They just started a 401k program at all and acted like they were on the forefront of employee rights.

Advice to Management

Take ANY management classes

"Parallel"

Former Employee - Parallel in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Parallel in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, some nice people work there

Cons

Dingy and oppressive, employees expected to complete unrealistic goals

"Unprofessional Workplace"

I worked at McCabe, Weisberg & Conway full-time

Pros

The only pro to working here for a beginner attorney is that, depending on the department, there is a chance to take on a variety of tasks with minimal supervision.

Cons

The staff turnover is quick and l saw people promoted beyond their skills based on tenure. During my time there I saw almost all the members of the team I worked on cry because of the stress and disrespect. Everyone was constantly monitored down to how long their bathroom breaks were. It is an unprofessional environment where doing a good job was not a priority. There was often shouting and staff members were frequently written up for trivial things.

Advice to Management

Invest in the staff and attorneys and realize that it costs money to do as much volume as you have and that people react better to praise than yelling and coercion. Candy and other insignificant perks mean nothing when everyone is overworked and miserable.