McCann Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
McCann Health Global CEO John Cahill
John Cahill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relaxed work environment, easy-going coworkers, interesting projects" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is unbelievably good for an ad agency" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is almost non-existent; weekends are seen as just another workday, and digital routing means the office never really closes" (in 4 reviews)

• "Hold your pride at the door - Senior Management will belittle and ridicule you for the smallest errors" (in 4 reviews)

"account services"

I have been working at McCann Health full-time

Pros

I have been working here for a little over 4 years and have had a great experience. People at all levels pitch in to help - titles don't seem to matter here which is unusual and a breath of fresh air. The account/creative relationship is healthy and not combative. People really get along. Overall, the vibe is great - and I've seen a lot of people get acknowledged for their efforts. This is the kind of place I was looking for and so happy I found it!

Cons

Compared to NYC, not a lot of good restaurants in the area. Also, when things get very busy, the teams seem lean.

Advice to Management

Keep making it a priority to encourage employees to take a break - vacation time and our extra summer days is awesome and really valued by everyone.

2. "Strategist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McCann Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible work hours, new office

Cons

competitive culture, lack of training, mid-level management, low pay

"Account supervisor"

I worked at McCann Health full-time

Pros

Work with some friendly people in the lower ranks

Cons

Politics before talent. Operates in a silo vs the parent company which is cooking with gas.

"Great Resources, Need Interdepartmental Communication"

I have been working at McCann Health full-time

Pros

Large company with a lot of resources, and access to very large clients

Cons

Not a lot of training or onboarding when you first arrive, could be more clear who does what and who your contacts are in each department

Advice to Management

More onboarding!

"Good company"

Pros

Smart people and great purpose demanding a lot of talent

Cons

tough work hours which makes for a less than ideal work life balance

"Agency going through some changes"

I have been working at McCann Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agency support teams back each other up and band together to get the work done. Lots of team collaboration. Colleagues are committed and care about the work. Can be a fun place, great benefits, generous time off and salaries. If you worked at a lot of other agencies, you'll find this one unique in the group of quality people they've hired. Even though there has been a big turnover of employees recently, change is good. Out with the old, in with the new.

Cons

Hard to change legacy behaviors, but they're trying, at least some are trying. Upper management could have better managerial skills. Account services managers don't mentor their teams, nor educate them on best practices. Lots of order takers and "yes" men/women, but isn't that the case in every agency?

Advice to Management

Get in touch with all your employees, not just the chosen few. Decide whether you want a full service agency or just a strategic one. Growing strategy team hires leave other disciplines under-resourced. People who do the day to day could use some more resources.

"We do not practice what we preach"

I have been working at McCann Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse workforce. Great office space. Ability to work from home/digital routing. Generous vacation time. Opportunities for employee social engagement (Film Festivals, Beer Club Thursdays, charity events, etc). Oh, and great bagels on Fridays.

Cons

Upper management only truly cares about winning awards and the career goals of a small, select group of employees. Work-life balance is almost non-existent; weekends are seen as just another workday, and digital routing means the office never really closes. Employees with small children find it difficult to advance; leaving on time to pick up your child is seen as a negative.

Advice to Management

Focus on the "caring" aspect of the company's new credo. See your people as people, not just as a means to an end. Recognize that the culture has changed; there is little pride in the Agency anymore and an even lower level of moral, as we have become larger, more corporate. Listen to everyone not just the chosen few.

"A Positive Sign, Management Being Held Accountable for Behavior"

Current Employee - Survivor of McCann NA Business Environment
    Current Employee - Survivor of McCann NA Business Environment

I have been working at McCann Health full-time

Pros

- Agency and network are full of talented and creative professionals
    - McCann brand is strong, but internal infighting (accepted and even embraced by some senior management, based on my experience) infects the work and and is clear and apparent to any good client.

Cons

- Embedded management willing to do anything for revenue, which is bad for creativity and for clients
    - Agency network model challenges doing great work
    - Intense rivalry between offices creates challenging work environment
    - Internal hostility and cross-agency infighting accepted and often stoked: maybe I didn't read this management book, but not a good outcome for employees, clients or investors

Advice to Management

Embrace the new world if you are one of those in management who are part of the problem - selfish, self-promoting interests through aggressive, inappropriate behavior may need to be asked to move on like the recent CCO departure.

9. "employee"

I have been working at McCann Health full-time

Pros

Amazing work environment and place to grow.

Cons

can't think of any cons here

"The most unwelcome experience in my career. Breaking down silos????? So humorous"

Current Employee - Marketing in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at McCann Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package fantastic and oh, amazing bagels on Friday's lol

Cons

There are many silos and barriers. Asked to join a specialty group, I came in at a level clearly three above people that are provided with respect, an office and partnerships that you would associate with the level. That bit of my entitlement aside, I have been trying to get a leg up and our clients, which we can't own direct, we have to get to by going through the sister partners that own the relationship, these partners have blocked or reduced our own relationship with the clients, have taken tactics that were specifically presented by our team and agreed upon by our leadership for us to execute. So we can't face off or build with the client and can't own any tactics and then are faced with cost cutting until profits improve. Catch 22, destined to fail. But big mother McCann doesn't care as we are a small little fish in the pond. Yet it is my understanding that our tactics produce the most margin of profit. From my little temporary desk in the hallway, I wasn't even allowed a portfolio or water bottle because I was not part of the team that we sit with in their building. Told that as long as we sit here in their building we need to understand this is what we will get. Yet I'm here some nites till midnight or later and they are not. I have bought their catering from my budget and they didn't offer to let me know.. Or offer a plate. I would love nothing more than for this industry to get a reset.

Advice to Management

Stand by what you say you value. You've written creativity, collaboration and caring everywhere and preach no silos and even have silly little books on living, learning and making McCann but you don't truly care. So that's why at my little table near in biggest hallway I just heard two people engaging Ogilvy. Now would have been the time to foster a better way and best Ogilvy, even at their lowest point, they may best you.