McCarthy & Holthus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Thomas J. Holthus, Kevin R. McCarthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual dress code, if you're competent you can do pretty much whatever you want because they're desperate for competent people (in 11 reviews)

• super casual dress code, yep that's all (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But the nitty gritty is the horribly low pay and enormous work load (in 10 reviews)

• There's also no parking available in the garage and the firm made no effort to secure discounted off-site parking for employees (in 7 reviews)

"Love My Job"

Current Employee - Compliance Officer
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great team work in my department, some great co-workers, engaged management, great clientele and the work never ends which makes your day fly by. Great dental, vision, PTO and 401K benefits.

Cons

Pay periods are to far apart, never on the same day & the medical is WAY to expensive for multiples in a family.

Feb 9, 2018 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your employment experience with McCarthy Holthus. We are always happy to hear positive reinforcement as we strive to continue to... More

2. "It's a good 1st Office Job"

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

There are some great employees. Some people really work hard and care about the success of the firm even though it's not appreciated.

Cons

The pay is below what it should be. They only give sufficient raises to the "special" ones. A lot of favoritism.

Advice to Management

When it's review time, listen to your employees. We keep saying the same things but there is no change.

Feb 12, 2018 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your employment experience with McCarthy Holthus. We are very sorry to hear you feel this way, and encourage all of our employees to... More

"don't work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual dress, flexible schedules but not in every department, easy to get to on public transport, opportunity to change departments.

Cons

training doesn't exist. extremely low wages for the amount of work, upper management is useless, mid management isn't terrible but they also don't exactly make their employees issues a priority. health benefits are disgustingly expensive. supervisors will anoint you to fill in jobs/tasks without asking you. turnover rate is high due to mistreatment from certain supervisors. seems like management has no problems hiring racist, homophobic, and sexist people.

Advice to Management

pay your employees livable wages there's no reason why I work 40+ hours and still need a part time job to be able to make a living.. pay closer attention to the types of people you higher. learn about ethics.

4. "Ok"

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Good job to learn the business

Cons

They don't pay very well

5. "Legal Assistant"

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

A laid-back office, casual dress code and friendly people. Opportunity to learn other skills or areas if desired. Friendly atmosphere despite cubicles.

Cons

Lower pay due to general inexperience, often coupled with weak raises come review time. There tends to be an attitude of "not my issue" when problems come up.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the individual, provide financial incentive to workers that go above and beyond, and offer additional training opportunities for cross-coverage.

"Not good"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Path to advancement, San Diego living, met some great people

Cons

Really low pay, overwhelming micromanagement, entire departments fired from management's shortcomings, really low enthusiasm from employees (think of the movie "Office Space")

Advice to Management

Have more respect for employees and pay them what they're worth

Feb 12, 2018 – Administrator

"Great place to build a resume...but not a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual work attire. Great place to build a resume and get work experience in the mortgage service industry. If you pay attention and work reasonably hard, you will probably have a positive experience.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive and there is little room for advancement beyond supervisor or junior manager. Managers can be extremely petty and run employees out of the company if they are crossed.

Advice to Management

Key people are leaving because compensation is not competitive. This is causing the firm to lose a lot of really great talent and a loss in the overall knowledge base for the company. Turnover will be high unless more effort is made to give veteran staff an incentive to stay with the company long term.

Feb 12, 2018 – Administrator

"Not bad as a temp job, not ideal for long term."

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Straightforward job requirements and expectations.

Cons

The work become mundane and tedious, often appearing without end.

Advice to Management

Greet your employees in the hallway - it's not that hard and costs you nothing. Surplus funds department requires review.

"Run!"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Casual attire. Good places to eat nearby. Co-workers were pleasant.

Cons

Training does not exist. The workload was unrealistic for a single employee. For what you're asked to do, the pay is horrible. Overtime is available if you can sacrifice your sanity for bad pay. Everyone there makes less than the people we foreclose on. If your idea of fun is being chewed out because the banks aren't happy with how fast you work, this job is for you! There's also no parking available in the garage and the firm made no effort to secure discounted off-site parking for employees. If you want to park, it's $20 a day. Not including the costs of repairing your vehicle when some crackhead breaks into it of course. There is no life or culture to this place, it's like a black hole for happiness. Run as fast as you can from this place like I did.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for starters.

"Just don't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great; dedicated to their job and making sure the company succeeded. The actual company was so bad it made me want to better myself and never work for an awful company like that ever again.

Cons

Upper management was out of touch with their employees. Although they were technically knowledgeable, they didn't appreciate their employees, provided little or no training, were focused on their bank account, and there was no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Take an ethics class.