McClatchy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Craig Forman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • there's some great people in the local markets that really care about their jobs and communities (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to start out, some cool people, nice office in downtown raleigh, relaxed dress code, decent work/life balance when I was there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the wage freeze has prevented some individuals who do more work than his/her peers to be able to stand up and demand a raise (in 7 reviews)

• While understandable, upper management has not been handling this well (in 6 reviews)

"Challenging and Rewarding Work Environment"

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

McClatchy operates in a challenging and rewarding work environment. McClatchy has a very detailed sales process, use industry-leading CRM system in Salesforce, and operate in some of the best markets in the United States.

Cons

Industry is going through transformation so you need to have strong digital acumen if you are going to succeed.

2. "Great people, tough industry conditions"

I worked at McClatchy full-time

Pros

Really good people. Extremely important mission. Lots of creative potential.

Cons

Bad industry economics. Not willing to change fast enough.

"Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Digital Advertising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Digital Advertising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out, some cool people, nice office in downtown raleigh, relaxed dress code, decent work/life balance when I was there.

Cons

This company has been slow to move into the digital environment, and thus has growing pains. While understandable, upper management has not been handling this well. There is a massive lack of transparency, and lay offs are a constant storm cloud hanging over everyone's heads. I got the impression through what little information was shared with me that upper management is flailing in the dark until they grab hold of an arbitrary idea and run with it. Terms such as "fail forward" have been use a lot. On top of this perceived lack of direction, benefits leave a lot to be desired (no bonus incentives, no 401k match). Career growth is limited too - no clear ladder to climb.

Advice to Management

Be open, be honest. Do not treat your underlings as a cog in a machine. Don't blindside with layoffs - instead, encourage career growth in the employees you actually want to keep on before firing them and then making them compete for new, but limited positions.

4. "A mixed-bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at McClatchy part-time

Pros

Some meaningful projects. Some really great managers. Truely

Cons

2 managers were unprofessional. I was introduced to one on the first day. He was in the business unit. He asked where I went to school. I replied. He said "I'm sorry. (scoughed)" I asked why, he said "its a poor excuse for a university!" I asked where he went to school he said ECU. (I wanted to reply, well, that's not even in the 5 best school in the state.) But, I just bit my tongue. Another manager apologized to me for the interaction, and said I'm not sure why he would do that.

Another yelled at me for leaving a meeting and not pushing in everyone's chair and throwing away their cups and drinks. (I didn't know they would not return for them btw) When I explained he said I need to take accountability. Really...?!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone w/ respect

5. "Holding good employees back."

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of paid time off. Still a few dedicated employees.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company. Sure, it's hard with cuts in all of the newsrooms. But it feels like if you want to advance, you have a better chance leaving the field all together.

Also, the wage freeze has prevented some individuals who do more work than his/her peers to be able to stand up and demand a raise. We know we'll get shot down and that any argument for a raise is shot down.

Advice to Management

When employees want to advance, at least provide tips to help them. Don't let them feel useless.

6. "Interesting field and challenging job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - Medical/Dental/Vision/EAP/STD/LTD/Wellness Program and Supplemental life policies for self, spouse and children. A great team environment. Managements provides support and without micromanagement. Work/Life balance is excellent.

Cons

No 401k match. Wage freeze in 2015 and 2017. But promotion opportunities help offset that. Morale can be low at times.

Advice to Management

Try to find ways to boost morale in local markets that have seen cuts.

7. "Reporter"

Former Employee - Reporter in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Columbia, SC

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of excellent journalists in the newsroom who have hung on through waves of staffing cuts, but turnover has increased and management is increasingly looking to hire young journalists for cheap who will work hard for little pay.

Cons

Exec editor isn't digital savvy, but demands the rest of the newsroom be so. Pushing click quotas for stories, which reduces content to lowest common denominator of intelligence. Exceeding expectations isn't rewarded.

Advice to Management

give reporters more support, and understand what you are asking of them before you ask it

8. "Ouch"

I have been working at McClatchy full-time

Pros

Its a job and pays the bills

Cons

lack of communication, and training, corporate HR is lacking the ability and skill to build a team. New hired employees are not given all disclosures

Advice to Management

Don't just think of your self...Be transparent, include all employees in the plan not just favorites or selected ones. Everyone wants to belong, and feel they are part of the company.

9. "Raleigh"

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and rewarding work environment.

Cons

Lower salaries and constant instability.

10. "don't want you to succeed"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits that's about it

Cons

changes take forever.
    goals are unreasonably high and if you don't hit you don't get paid

Advice to Management

should have never sold out to mcclatchy