McClatchy Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

McClatchy Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

2.8
McClatchy CEO Craig Forman
Craig Forman
Pros
  • "Great people, down to earth, strong commitment to journalism among the staff(in 9 reviews)

• "Nightly newspaper production was challenging and never dull(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Newspaper field is in constant cotraction(in 12 reviews)

• "Also, the wage freeze has prevented some individuals who do more work than his/her peers to be able to stand up and demand a raise(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making Great Changes/ Fantastic Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have two on the best bosses I could ask for. Both my Regional Director and DOS are great leaders; friendly, caring, helpful and humble. I work remote which is extremely convenient. More companies should adopt this structure. I’ve worked for big media companies that were super strict on missing days in the office. McClatchy knows people are more productive when they are grateful and comfortable. Also... offering sales training that was better than my previous training trips.

Cons

Still making the shirt to digital. Some bumps in the road in the first few weeks of account transfers but other than that pretty good.

Advice to Management

Make communication during account transitions more fluid between both reps and MCs.

McClatchy2019-10-15
  2. "Great company to work for and great people to work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fresno, CA

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely love working for McClatchy because it's so open to change and often times give you all the tools necessary to see your vision through. I love the experience of seeing a project through with a team comprised of experienced individuals and fresh new minds.

Cons

Sometimes the ever-changing processes can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Stop using the phrase "we've always done it that way" or "because it always been done that way." Try to dig deeper into WHY its always been done like that.

McClatchy2019-10-04
  3. "Transformation is happening!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive management in just about every aspect. Flexibility to accommodate home life schedules. Management is constantly looking for new ways to help propel the company into the future and is open to new ideas. Being a part of the digital transformation is a great experience.

Cons

Constant restructuring of departments & mass layoffs. Employee reviews usually are late.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees & the great work that they do. Try to stay up to date on employee reviews.

McClatchy2019-10-09
  4. "MAE position at McClatchy"

Current Employee - Multimedia Account Executive

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for more than a year

Pros

well compensated, good team members

Cons

pressure, poor IT systems, management

McClatchy2019-10-07
  5. "Sales Executive.... this is the worst"

I have been working at McClatchy

Pros

Benefits and base pay. Most employees are awesome.

Cons

Absolute waste of time working here. Way to many people making decisions and those people have no clue what they are doing. The number one priority it to keep your job. Management is always looking to keep their jobs and dont have time not talent to make anyone better. Leadership is all about keeping $$$ afloat and keeping shareholders happy. I've been here less than a year and have had 3 reorganizations within... the company. No local managers for the most part. People answer to others in Miami and in Charlotte. All this for a local newspaper. No clear focus on future! All about the now. Salesforce is king. Micromanaging is the key for control. Also, absolutely no clear training for my experience. They cant get out of their own way to make themselves better. This office in particular has lost over 14 essential sales, support staff within the last year. I've seen brand new people leave within months... lol. The. Very. Worst. As a piece of advise try NOT to take a job here. You might regret your decision.

Advice to Management

Close up shop.... learn from your people that are leaving. They hate it. Stop thinking of $$ and start thinking of your clients and employees.

McClatchy2019-09-09
  6. "Run"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at McClatchy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay in a declining industry.

Cons

Inept management and HR department. Losing millions each quarter.

Advice to Management

File bankruptcy

McClatchy2019-09-29

McClatchy Response

October 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While the local media industry has been significantly disrupted by technology and a changing business model, our goal remains the same: to produce strong independent local journalism in the public interest that is essential to the people and communities we serve. We continue to pursue a strategy of digital transformation across our 30 newsrooms to deliver news and information on many platforms and formats, 24/7 and wherever our customers are. We welcome your comments. Please reach out to us at feedbackglassdoor@mcclatchy.com if you have more to add. We are focused on improving our staff's experience and work environment.

7. "Too much consolidation at the expense of local reporting"

Former Employee - Managing Editor

I worked at McClatchy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, down to earth, strong commitment to journalism among the staff.

Cons

Budget cuts across the company were devastating to local news reporting.

Advice to Management

The smaller local papers have been cut to the point that the few reporters left have no time to pursue local stories that really matter.

McClatchy2019-08-19
  8. "Great place to work, stellar management"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great managers and directors, they really care about their employees and the direction of the company

Cons

Media is a tough industry to be in right now

McClatchy2019-08-01
  9. "Good Company, Constant Innovation, Always an Opportunity to Learn, Grow and Move"

Current Employee - Client Success Specialist

I have been working at McClatchy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Over the past couple years, McClatchy has really pushed for a total transformation in their processes, and has gotten much better at helping employees create a work life balance. If something isn't working, there's a project in the works to find a better way. There's always opportunity to learn something new, and drive, hard work and

Cons

The company is in the process of transforming the structure, process, and values behind everything we do, so there's always change happening and they are constantly hiring as we expand new initiatives, which can lead to higher work loads for the current employees.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction we are going. Keep innovating, keep providing opportunities for existing employees to move, learn, and grow along with the company. My only advice would be to accelerate the projects we have in the works

McClatchy2019-06-28
  10. "Worst Customer Service Job"

Former Employee - Receptionst

I worked at McClatchy part-time for less than a year

Pros

A few nice people to work with.

Cons

Horrible customer service, disorganized, unethical

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing customer service to the Philippines and newspaper delivery to an independant company. Care about getting a newspaper to the people who are purchasing your product.

McClatchy2019-06-28