McClatchy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 1, 2017

2.0
Craig Forman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • there's some great people in the local markets that really care about their jobs and communities (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to start out, some cool people, nice office in downtown raleigh, relaxed dress code, decent work/life balance when I was there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the wage freeze has prevented some individuals who do more work than his/her peers to be able to stand up and demand a raise (in 7 reviews)

• While understandable, upper management has not been handling this well (in 6 reviews)

"Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Digital Advertising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Digital Advertising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out, some cool people, nice office in downtown raleigh, relaxed dress code, decent work/life balance when I was there.

Cons

This company has been slow to move into the digital environment, and thus has growing pains. While understandable, upper management has not been handling this well. There is a massive lack of transparency, and lay offs are a constant storm cloud hanging over everyone's heads. I got the impression through what little information was shared with me that upper management is flailing in the dark until they grab hold of an arbitrary idea and run with it. Terms such as "fail forward" have been use a lot. On top of this perceived lack of direction, benefits leave a lot to be desired (no bonus incentives, no 401k match). Career growth is limited too - no clear ladder to climb.

Advice to Management

Be open, be honest. Do not treat your underlings as a cog in a machine. Don't blindside with layoffs - instead, encourage career growth in the employees you actually want to keep on before firing them and then making them compete for new, but limited positions.

2. "A mixed-bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at McClatchy part-time

Pros

Some meaningful projects. Some really great managers. Truely

Cons

2 managers were unprofessional. I was introduced to one on the first day. He was in the business unit. He asked where I went to school. I replied. He said "I'm sorry. (scoughed)" I asked why, he said "its a poor excuse for a university!" I asked where he went to school he said ECU. (I wanted to reply, well, that's not even in the 5 best school in the state.) But, I just bit my tongue. Another manager apologized to me for the interaction, and said I'm not sure why he would do that.

Another yelled at me for leaving a meeting and not pushing in everyone's chair and throwing away their cups and drinks. (I didn't know they would not return for them btw) When I explained he said I need to take accountability. Really...?!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone w/ respect

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at McClatchy full-time

Pros

- Great entry level job
    - Decent work/life balance
    - A lot of the coworkers are great (Raleigh office)
    - Fancy new building (Raleigh downtown)

Cons

- Still relies too much on print
    - Promotions are hard to come by if you're not part of the "elite" group
    - Communication is not very good
    - Wage freezes are common
    - Whenever you see an e-mail from senior Management/Corporate, you know it's bad news.

Advice to Management

Make sure communication goes from top to bottom, and encourage your employees to work hard, and reward them when they do. Constant wage freezes and uncertainty about the company's future are not ways to motivate.

"Working for McClatchy Newspapers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Dedicated Employees who work hard and have the best for the community they serve.

Cons

The Newspaper industry is in freefall. Reinventing a hard print media company has been challenging in this digital age. Many layoffs, missteps and changes of direction. Too much advice from outside media consultants has created most of the direction changes. A lot of news functions are lost.

Advice to Management

One big mistake has been the isolation of core readership and poor customer service, poor service to advertisers. This will have to be corrected.

"Dysfunctional and Declining Performance"

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's a pretty healthy health insurance policy, along with disability, vacation, and some opportunities for advancement based on your performance. Plus, with multiple locations throughout the U.S., if you do need to move, you might be able to transfer to a different office.

Cons

Advertising departments across all papers are in the process of going through a "restructuring" meaning all new titles, job functions, salaries, etc and its not to the benefit of the employees. Instead, sales employees are jumping ship like crazy, leaving half a staff to still support day to day activity. Upper management is so far removed from those day to day actions that they truly have no idea what the staff does or some of the challenges they're facing. Also, McClatchy is typically last to go to market with new technologies, leaving their sales reps with little opportunities to actually hit their goals and make money

"Sinking Ship"

Pros

Coworkers on the ground are smart and work hard.

Cons

Leadership has lost its transparency. Ever since corporate did what is essentially a hostile takeover on McClatchy Interactive, the company has become the titanic.

Advice to Management

Lift up your employees. Respect them. Communicate with them. Be transparent. Stop taking benefits and perks away, yet asking people to give above and beyond.

7. "Disorganized, but well intentioned"

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally nice people. Great to support journalism and there's lots of great intention towards adaptation and change.

Cons

No one has any balls to make a tough decision and execute on it to make any of these theoretical ideas reality.

Advice to Management

Processes need to be streamlined. You can't make everyone happy, but thank you for trying.

"Every Empire Must Fall"

I have been working at McClatchy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. Having an office building downtown with parking. Great journalism.

Cons

New "direction" of prioritizing money over all else. Laying off workers who have given years of service and sacrifice to a company only to see their job given to someone from India on a visa.

Benefits are very poor. No 401k match.

Advice to Management

Stop giving bonuses to management and start giving back benefits you took away from employees 5 years ago.

"No future."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people. Relaxed time requirements.

Cons

No hopes of retiring from there.
    No upward mobility.

"Going downhill"

I have been working at McClatchy (More than 3 years)

Pros

This used to be a good company to work for. The pay and benefits were o.k. They were family friendly and the work was generally interesting. Their down town location continues to be a plus.

Cons

The company has just turned to offshore outsourcing in a major way, with a large number of lay-offs. Interesting choice given the current exposure in the press to this topic. Perhaps management does not read its own papers?

Advice to Management

Good luck, you're going to need it!!