McClatchy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 17, 2017

Craig Forman
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • there's some great people in the local markets that really care about their jobs and communities (in 7 reviews)

• Professional place to work with great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has little idea of how their departments are run (in 5 reviews)

• No guidance on direction from senior management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Reporter"

Former Employee - Reporter in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Columbia, SC

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of excellent journalists in the newsroom who have hung on through waves of staffing cuts, but turnover has increased and management is increasingly looking to hire young journalists for cheap who will work hard for little pay.

Cons

Exec editor isn't digital savvy, but demands the rest of the newsroom be so. Pushing click quotas for stories, which reduces content to lowest common denominator of intelligence. Exceeding expectations isn't rewarded.

Advice to Management

give reporters more support, and understand what you are asking of them before you ask it

2. "Ouch"

I have been working at McClatchy full-time

Pros

Its a job and pays the bills

Cons

lack of communication, and training, corporate HR is lacking the ability and skill to build a team. New hired employees are not given all disclosures

Advice to Management

Don't just think of your self...Be transparent, include all employees in the plan not just favorites or selected ones. Everyone wants to belong, and feel they are part of the company.

3. "Advertising executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at McClatchy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to make your own schedule and work at your own pace. Working for a well known brand.

Cons

Lots of pressure to sell solutions customers don't want or need in order to maximize company profits.

Advice to Management

Train people better to become great instead or churning through good employees looking for the perfect one.

4. "Senior Manager"

I worked at McClatchy full-time

Pros

Decent Benefits, Vision of Tomorrow

Cons

3-5 years late to the game for transformation change. Playing catchup.

Advice to Management

Keep trucking but your people are tired

"Newsroom manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Nightly newspaper production was challenging and never dull. Collaborating on the next day's paper was a blast. I enjoyed working with so many talented people.

Cons

My department moved to another city. Before that, we faced buyouts while we gained more work. The whole industry is struggling, not just McClatchy.

Advice to Management

Newspaper management did its best to get through a tough situation, with the economy and the industry suffering.

6. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and good support from management.

Cons

Tough industry, need to adopt more innovative strategies.

Advice to Management

Listen and adopt ideas from employees to grow business and improve the overall culture.

"Well, it IS a newspaper chain in 2016 ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffton, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffton, SC

Pros

Some really talented, hardworking people, and I've worked for several media companies, so I've known a few. Decent salaries for managers. Plenty of hierarchical/financial challenges, as with all newspaper chains, but managers largely stick with a "we're-in-this-together" attitude. People know when it's your birthday, or when you're leaving, etc. Nice building to work in.

Cons

Little time/willingness to train anyone in the newsroom on aspects of the job or new equipment/software. Advertising and photo departments got nice, new computers while I was there; newsroom was stuck with outdated technology from early 2000s. Some of the salaries (reporters/copy editors) are also from that era -- not easy to live on in Beaufort County. Executive editor is a strange mix of control freak and hands-off and won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Advice to Management

Invest time/money in training. Open up lines of communication between management and everyone else. Realize that when managers consistently work 11- or 12-hour days, something's wrong. Take a look at those low-level salaries.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Dedicated people who work hard. Competitive, long-range thinking. Working toward being one of the best news organizations.

Cons

Lot of work spread out over few employees. Negative environment because of needed lay-offs. Multi-tasking causing mistakes.

Advice to Management

Look at cons.

"Attempting to stay trendy"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Try their best to stay with the latest trends in news/delivering news.

Cons

Half of the employees have been let go, their jobs outsourced to countries outside the U.S.

Advice to Management

They try so hard to keep things positive in the workplace, yet all your employees fear for their jobs and feel mistreated/abused.

"A good company with problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at McClatchy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were professional, courteous and just very nice in most cases. It had decent benefits, although we got a worse plan when Obamacare went in because they said it was considered a Cadillac plan and they would be fined if they continued it. (?) I worked in editorial and there was a union that protected us and helped us get fair pay and hours.

Cons

The company is having financial difficulties and has begun shedding more employees. The newspaper industry is in free fall and it seems no move to digital is saving it, despite all their best efforts. Some managers are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Cut back the CEO's bonus before you let go more employees.