McCormick Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 31, 2019

3.5
James C. Wiggans, P.E

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at McCormick Taylor full-time

Pros

Approximately seven years ago two of the most senior employees (Pat and Jim) purchased the company from the two previous partners, although some employees have decided that they didn't like some of the differences that have been integrated into the culture, most have seen as it as a great opportunity; none more than me. As stated by Roy T. Bennent "You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone". The individuals at McCormick Taylor that have embraced the changes have benefited the most. My manager and I spend a good amount of time both developing my performance and development goals to ensure that they are aligned with the companies, as a result, my path has always been very clear and this is extremely encouraging since the last company I work for provide none.

Cons

Our current office is a little dated but we are moving to a new space that is going to be entirely new in July that will include many more meeting rooms, plenty of new technology, a gym, and a game room.

Advice to Management

Continue to do exactly what you have been doing.

Feb 26, 2019 – McCormick Taylor Human Resources

We are happy to hear that your experience at McCormick Taylor has been positive. Pat and Jim hope that the changes they bring to our culture will help us enhance relationships between employees, as... More

2. "Loved it while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, parking, and excellent benefits

Cons

Politics, layoffs, and no opportunities for advancement

Feb 26, 2019 – McCormick Taylor Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry that your experience at McCormick Taylor did not match our goal of having this be a great place to work. I’ve read through the... More

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at McCormick Taylor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

McCormick Taylor isn’t your everyday engineering firm. As a female non-engineer, I feel as valued as any other member of the staff. The firm is flexible with time for those with families. I’ve had opportunities for unique assignments that I would not have had anywhere else. I feel very valued and compensated.

Cons

There has been some staff departures in the recent couple of years that were a result of the ownership change and new organizational structure. It was unfortunate, but organizations need to adapt and not everyone deals well with change.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in staff you value with training opportunities, both internally and externally.

May 7, 2018 – McCormick Taylor Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

Our employees have always been our most important asset. With staff ranging in levels of experience, expertise, and flexibility, we realize that not everyone’s needs... More

"Not for the long term"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent healthcare benefits. The owners are generous and try to throw in perks throughout the year to show appreciation. Headquarters is close to public transportation.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement / upward mobility. Encouraged to create your own career path, but lack the support and resources you need to develop skills and experience. Little direction on how to grow with the company. Limited ability to work remotely if needed. Behind the curve in technology, software, and communication tools. Very slow to make changes. A lot of waste / wasteful activities.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology and the resources to help people do their jobs more efficiently. More transparency about how employee contributions impact their career opportunities. Focus on retaining talent, not just recruiting. More diversity in leadership roles.

5. "THE best decision of my career."

I have been working at McCormick Taylor full-time

Pros

New ownership purchased the company several years ago and from what I’ve seen the company continues to improve. The owners have a strong focus on employee satisfaction. They have a focus on building a culture of consistent improvement, growth and success. The company continues to recruit great talent. There are numerous corporate initiatives in the works that make me think it will only continue to improve.

This has been a great place to work. I feel like a valued member of the team and that my efforts are acknowledged. The first week here both owners made a point to meet me personally and learn my background. My first week here I received all sorts of company branded gear like a columbia jacket, nike bag and golf shirts. This speaks a lot for the generosity of the owners. In comparison, my previous employer only once offered me the opportunity to BUY a company branded polo shirt.

In office gyms, stocked beverage fridges, anniversary gifts, baby gifts, wellness programs with cash incentives, 401k with profit sharing, tuition assistance, medical/dental/vision benefits are all great perks! Quarterly town hall meetings are held in each office that the company owners and leadership typically attend. The difference to me after having worked for 5 other companies in the industry is night and day. There is a reason they have been consistently earning “Best Place to Work” awards.

Cons

New initiatives are taking longer than expected and employees are eager to see results.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on consistent improvement, standards, employee development and performance.

"Environmental Scientist"

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time

Pros

Generally smart and motivated coworkers.
    Friendly and coloaborative atmoshpere within offices.
    Good benefits

Cons

Since change of ownership, management has struggled to maintain family atmosphere
    Large turnover in management to those "in" with new management
    Slow to adapt to new markets/opportunities
    Global integration (although it is a priority) is terrible
    Management in my office was a constantly turning over with little support from corporate

Advice to Management

Where to start....

"Misogyny and disrespect are rampant"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is a plus as it is close to transportation and amenities. There is always coffee available and the kitchen has a refrigerator and water cooler.

Cons

After nearly two years of utter disrespect for my position, experience and creativity—as well as the constant message that my suggestions, opinions and feedback were unwanted and not valued—I left.

Rather than utilize my extensive experience in branding I was made to dedicate endless hours to low-level production work such as hand-cutting business cards and brochures. After suggesting that my department establish a list of events in which we participate yearly in order to prepare in advance, I was told that we worked in a deadline-driven environment and such things weren’t possible or worth considering.

Countless times I rearranged my personal life in order to complete large proposals requiring many overtime hours. These proposals would be dropped on me with the expectation that I would dedicate my evenings and/or weekend to working on them. Each time I completed the work well and on time only to never be thanked. Despite this, when I needed to work from home for 3 to 5 days one winter in order to get my roof fixed I was hassled and was made to feel that I wasn't trusted to actually work while not in the office. I was treated as though I was not an adult capable of managing my own work and time.

After over a year under an ever-increasing workload, I was told that I was not in a position to say no to any request that came in, and that I should smile and say “yes” to everything asked of me. After a particularly difficult project with poor time management, I made several suggestions for improving the processes used for managing incoming marketing requests. The department head and the person in the directly subordinate position refused to have any debriefing about what went right/wrong despite my urging, and I was aggressively told that nothing was going to change about the way things were done. The final straw came when I was bluntly told that my feedback was not wanted on a project, and I was to "do what I was told to."

My experience is commonplace. My story is the standard.

Advice to Management

Stop telling your female employees that they should have gone to college and gotten a degree if they wanted control over their time. Don't tell your female employees that they should stop whining and be glad that they have jobs since it's only because the engineers don't have time to do their work that they are employed. Stop giving preferential treatment to your male employees and bring in more women to upper management.

8. "Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, beautiful offices. Professional organization

Cons

Only does public work contracts. Compartmentalizes people - difficult to transfer internally. Obsessed with QA/QC so much that deliverables are late due to multi-layer reviews.

Advice to Management

Do not lay off valuable people who could be used elsewhere in the company

"Good Overall Company"

I have been working at McCormick Taylor full-time

Pros

Friendly, family-like staff, managers aren't overbearing and make you feel like a professional, plenty of amenities and fringe benefits, healthcare benefits and salary are fairly competitive within the industry.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult at times, growth potential and development isn't clear, and there is a lack of new contracts for sustainable growth.

Advice to Management

Make a more defined approach to heirarchy within the company to help show employees where they can advance to within their career and MT. Seek new contracts to diversify the company portfolio which would help to grow the company and it's employees.

"No new contracts"

I worked at McCormick Taylor full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers good pay.

Cons

The organizational management is poor. They have closed 2 offices within the last year and have not replaced several large contracts. The more senior members in the organization don't always seem to know how to take the company to where they want it to go. An environment that rewards and encourages workaholics.

Advice to Management

More organized training along with more business minded (not just engineers) professionals in key positions.