McCormick & Schmick's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McCormick & Schmick's Chairman, President and CEO of Landry's Inc. Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Pros
  • Can be good money, if you work your butt off (in 7 reviews)

• The food was good, and there was a good management team in place where I was working (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent management,upper management does not follow through with promises , and everyone is out for themselves only (in 6 reviews)

• By far the most unsanitary restaurant I've ever worked in in my entire LIFE (in 5 reviews)

1. "An ok place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of money to be made on holidays, Saturday and days that they don't over schedule servers. Managers are friendly and helpful most of the time. Usually a nice work environment, everyone is helpful. If they don't over schedule, usually, you can make decent money!!! If you can sell the cards they offer things like paying for your parking or bus pass or cash prizes.

Cons

To many servers working to make money or even be busy while working. Always work on holidays. Crap sections when they over schedule. Always have to tip out even if doing job of other staff. Cost of running credit cards is also paid for by servers. Hiring and training new people for positions instead of cross training current employees. Super strict about scripts and "approaches", sales pitches.

Advice to Management

I think that server schedules should be based on seniority, whoever has been there the longest gets to pick what shifts they want to work up to 6 shifts a week depending on their availability. Cuts due to overstaffing should also go by seniority. If you don't want to lose staff and have to constantly hire new staff you treat the staff you have good. Cross train employees as much as possible. Servers, bartenders, cocktail servers, hosts, bussers...everyone should be given the opportunity to cross train and learn other positions and work them according to seniority. Run promotions, advertise, make a Groupon or retail me not offer. DO SOMETHING. Offer training opportunities.

2. "STAY AWAY!!!!!"

Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-It is busy during the summer

Cons

-ONLY busy during the summer. No one comes to the inner harbor during the winter.
    -RATS, mice and roaches in the restaurant, management is seemingly unphased by this and the general manager when I was there would have the busboys catch them. Roaches crawling on tables during the middle of service. Mice in the kitchen. Rats can be seen running outside of the premises. By far the most unsanitary restaurant I've ever worked in in my entire LIFE!!!
    -Shady management. When they head into the slow season (particularly winter) they try to look for reasons to wrongfully terminate people to cut down labor costs. They are also extremely extremely terrible at their jobs, treat and talk to you horribly, and only care about servers selling "Loyalty Cards" so that they can receive their bonuses. If we did not sell loyalty cards we were punished and made to clean the restaurant and attend meetings which taught us "how to sell" loyalty cards. They keep a tally of it in the back to remind you of how much you suck if you don't sell them. They also use this as the sole basis of your hours so if you don't sell cards... you don't get put on the schedule.
    -During this time servers turn into "sharks" stealing eachother's tables because everyone is so desperate to make money at this point
    -Uncomfortable uniform (everyone has to wear a tie and a long apron, ladies included unless you're cocktail)
    -Multiple staff on drugs

Advice to Management

Close this location. Its the worst and the management is horrible.

3. "Hoped to find my forever job; was extremely disappointed!"

Former Employee - Server in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Server in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave me knowledge of fine dining; previously only had knowledge of casual dining.

Cons

Very unorganized, inconsistent training program, inconsistent hours and business.

Advice to Management

Management treated employees very poorly.

5. "Fresh Fish....horrible Upper Mgmt"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fresh fish ordered every day

Cons

horrible mgmt and bad HR dept

Advice to Management

grow up

6. "good company"

Former Employee - Bartender in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Naples, FL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy money, decent hours.

Cons

usual restaurant woes, bad employees etc.

7. "Busser at McCormicks"

Former Employee - Busser in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Busser in Reston, VA

Pros

The people are all extremely kind and working there was an overall positive experience in the restaurant service industry.

Cons

Management cam be slow moving and often times you will have to watch tables your self.

8. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO

Pros

Massive company that's easy to transfer within.

Cons

Landry's overhaul included going towards a more fried food path. Lower quality, higher profit.

Advice to Management

Nothing...Landry's is already going to cheapen everything.

9. "Good while it lasted..."

Former Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX

Pros

Complaints to corporate handled in a timely fashion. We had a manager who was verbally abusive and a sexual harasser. When someone finally complained to upper management, they were there within a day and he was gone by the end of the week.

Cons

Food quality has gone down. They use to bring in over 40 species of seafood every day; now, it's just five and everything else is frozen. And they are obsessed with everyone selling Landry's loyalty cards! After I left another employee told me that they wanted you to sell like 5 a day!!!

10. "DISHWASHER"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (More than a year)

Pros

The Staff was great and gave me opportunity.

Cons

DIDN`T not tell me ahead of time that job is going to end.

Advice to Management

MUCH RESPECT TO THEM ALL.

11. "server"

Former Employee - Food Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Food Server in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great managers, money, and patrons

Cons

Was bought out by Landry's and became very corporate and micromanaged