McCormick & Schmick's Reviews | Glassdoor

McCormick & Schmick's Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Can be good money, if you work your butt off (in 7 reviews)

• The food was good, and there was a good management team in place where I was working (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent management,upper management does not follow through with promises , and everyone is out for themselves only (in 6 reviews)

• Extensive side-work, can tend to be either under or over staffed (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good while it lasted..."

Former Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX

Pros

Complaints to corporate handled in a timely fashion. We had a manager who was verbally abusive and a sexual harasser. When someone finally complained to upper management, they were there within a day and he was gone by the end of the week.

Cons

Food quality has gone down. They use to bring in over 40 species of seafood every day; now, it's just five and everything else is frozen. And they are obsessed with everyone selling Landry's loyalty cards! After I left another employee told me that they wanted you to sell like 5 a day!!!

2. "Slow and poor management"

Pros

other servers were great, food was okay

Cons

slow kitchen, cared a lot about LSC sales, often overstaffed, location was dirty

Advice to Management

Don't overstaff

3. "Good Place to Wait Tables"

Pros

Good potential for money, flexible scheduling

Cons

Extensive side-work, can tend to be either under or over staffed

Advice to Management

Get down on the servers level and get to work when necessary instead of acting like it may not be your job.

5. "Dirty!"

Pros

Can be good money, if you work your butt off.

Cons

Kitchen was dirty. Too fast paced to re-wash things. Would have to hand-wash coffee mugs in between customers, which I'm sure is a health code violation.

6. "Great company, endless opportunity."

Pros

You can work anywhere with 60 locations across the country.
    Benefits are good.
    Career growth is at your fingertips.
    The salary is there for skilled managers.

Cons

You will work holidays and they are busy.
    You will work long shifts especially if you are a salaried chef.

Advice to Management

Be more open minded with trends and stay current. Menu management needs attention. Some classical dishes that have had their day are due for retirement.

7. "Server, Napkin Folder Extraordanaire, & Professional Bread Slicer"

Pros

I have to use at least 5 words.....Good bread.

Cons

Zero standards and lazy, incompetent coworkers. Absolutely ZERO accountability. NO ONE CARES. The first day of work got cussed out by a co-worker for helping by bussing a table in their section. Rude, cliquey, judgmental, socially unstable staff. Disorganized kitchen. Poor management, very catty and childish; biased behaviors/decisions and allowed personal relationships influence work/professional relationships; plays favorites.

Full-time hours with part time pay. The management doesn't want to have to do anything, so they keep on too many servers and no one makes any money. The majority of the time 1-3 tables a night, two-tops only. For 2 weeks of work, I made $400 working 5 days a week. Full time?! ... Not worth the time, is more like it.

McCormick & Schmick's also makes it's employees PAY for a discount program for food. When you're making $10 a shift at times, trying to eat during your double, make $30 more that night (because they will cut you first if you're a "double", but they will also send you home from the morning shift because you're a "double"....you get the least amount of tables and have to just fill in basically.........) you end up walking with maybe $15-$20 because you had to pay your "Discount Food Bill" and pay for your 'discounted food' for that double that day....It literally is the biggest scam I have ever seen!

Landry's is a wildly stingy and tacky place. Treats it's employees and guests alike: like sheep, like cattle...Most miserable job experience in over a decade. Save yourselves from this headache! Guests included. All they want from you is to sign up for their tacky, tackey, BS "VIP Guest Card" service......give me a break.

Advice to Management

Do literally anything else but be a manager.

8. "DISHWASHER"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (More than a year)

Pros

The Staff was great and gave me opportunity.

Cons

DIDN`T not tell me ahead of time that job is going to end.

Advice to Management

MUCH RESPECT TO THEM ALL.

9. "It's a job not a career"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

Pros

There is money to be made if you can stick it out. The restaurant has a great location and is always busy in the Winter. The harder you work the more money you make, duh, but that is especially true here. Hard-working employees get the best shifts.

Cons

The tip-outs are outrageous. Expect to tip out 25% of your tips. Gratuity is no longer allowed so it isn't uncommon to owe money when a party comes in decides the bill is too expensive to tip. You have to pay to get the employee discount which includes the "privilege" of drinking soda while on the clock. Landrys cheats out where they can, the bussers and hosts don't get paid minimum wage and rely on the tip-out to make up the difference.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued and not completely expendable. Pay us fairly and we would be able to take pride in our jobs. I'm sure you've calculated out that it is cheaper to pay high training costs due to your unreasonable turnover rate than to pay decent wages. Expect to continue having problems with sub-standard service until you get you sub-standard wages fixed.

10. "server"

Former Employee - Food Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Food Server in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great managers, money, and patrons

Cons

Was bought out by Landry's and became very corporate and micromanaged

11. "Review of M&S Grill Reston"

Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the managers are very nice and understanding. Food is good. Staff is generally nice. Very easy sidework and cutwork. Business is good on holidays (mothers day).

Cons

Management is disrespectful to employees. Overwork their servers. Many health code violations. Business is very slow in the summer

Advice to Management

I would advise they do not keep restaurants open when the air conditioning is not working. They should also have at least 10 servers employed at all times in order to give the staff reasonable hours.