McCormick & Schmick's Reviews | Glassdoor

McCormick & Schmick's Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Can be good money, if you work your butt off (in 7 reviews)

• The food was good, and there was a good management team in place where I was working (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent management,upper management does not follow through with promises , and everyone is out for themselves only (in 6 reviews)

• By far the most unsanitary restaurant I've ever worked in in my entire LIFE (in 5 reviews)

"Week training program"

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The prestige and environment of class of this company is very high.
    The food is exceptional

Cons

They have a very poor training program for servers. They let me out in the cold with barely any info to study for. I constantly had to ask and beg the servers and the managers to provide some training and good info on their company, menu, etc during my first few weeks of training. They just threw me out into the wolf pack and every servers attitude was very snobby and unwilling to help. what Shocked me the most was some of their servers would teach me the rules, do's and donts to just go and break it themselves!! I was seriously shocked!!

Advice to Management

Get a SET and organized, in class training program for your new comers, give them attention. I remember you guys saying "we just joined Landary's" but thats not a good excuse for abandoning your trainees. So that shows you never had a good training program to begin with, thats why people did whatever they wanted! I believe for a professional well prestige company like M&CC there should be a well training program set up for their employees to follow so both the company and employers could be successful.

"A change is in the air."

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic financial possibilities for the service staff.

Cons

The direction has changed greatly after the Landry's acquisition.

Advice to Management

Remember how to properly treat your staff.

"Corporate vampires"

Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Get your experience and get a better job.

Cons

Pay every week just to get 50% off meals. Can not bring in own food for lunch if you dont pay the weekly cost of discount either. Make you sell diner card with no incentive. Makes guest uncomfortable and hurts your tip because they push you to sell the cards.

Advice to Management

Feel sorry for you.

"disappointing"

Former Employee - Host in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Host in Skokie, IL

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my co-workers when I first started through about two months before leaving

Cons

When the managers who I was originally hired under left, the location I was at went to the pooper. Managers were cruel and didn't do their jobs appropriately and was really disappointed by the way I was treated which ultimately ended in my leaving.

Advice to Management

appreciate the people you hire, and if you hate your job don't be there either. don't just hide in your office!

"Once Landry's took over, boy did it get bad. Real bad."

Former Employee - Bartender in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Bartender in Tigard, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I learned a lot the first few years about great food and drink and had the opportunity to meet some very good, interesting people.

Cons

Corporate takeover sucked out the soul. They treat all employees like criminals. We had to pay a monthly fee to get a discount on limited food items. The quality of the food dropped and the prices went up. Their rewards program is a scam.

Advice to Management

Kill yourself.

"Away from this place!!!"

Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef in Boston, MA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay check and great training program if you go training on the right location.

Cons

Long hours, no life... use salary managers to cover save on labor

Advice to Management

Just because you choose to not have a life does not mean your manager had to follow you.

"Terrible Company to work for, but amazing coworkers"

Former Employee - Host in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Host in Tigard, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were amazing
    Job as a host was easy and you are well trained

Cons

Management is overworked
    Pay is okay not great
    You have to pay for the meal discount program

Advice to Management

Restaurant managers should not work as long hours as they do and there should be more promotions from within

"Eh, okay..."

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, wi-fi, parking is included

Cons

Small paycheck, poor upper management, a lot of BS

Advice to Management

Care for your employees...

"Okay money, abusive management"

Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clientele that comes to dine usually has a lot of money to spend - making it easy to upsell food and drinks. Usually at dinner, a couple won't be able to pay any less than $70. You can really raise the price if you sell an appetizer, entrees, drinks, and dessert. You have potential to make good money.

Cons

Customers are okay. Usually stuck up because they're rich enough to eat at the place, which doesn't bother me.

My serious problem is with the management. It doesn't matter what your sales are like, as long as you can sell Landry's Select Club cards. You might as well sell your soul. If you didn't sell four a month, you would get written up. Absurd. An employee who sells LSCs often was caught drunk on the job, but management turned a blind eye because of his LSC sales. If it would've been anyone else, they would've been fired on the spot.

They have a strict "no outside food or drink policy", but they make you PAY monthly for an employee discount??? I had a manager throw out a cup of coffee I brought in for myself because of the policy, but I've seen her bring in leftovers plenty of times.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone work here. Everyone I know who is still there is trying desperately to get out.

Advice to Management

1) Give employees incentives to sell LSCs besides the fear of being fired

2) Hire managers that respect their employees

3) Allow servers to bring in their own food.

"Missing the Target"

Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stress-Free environment, well managed and great all-around staff. It's pleasant to come to work and there is a lot of flexibility. All of these pros are (probably) the direct result of the cons

Cons

It just isn't busy enough, consistently enough. You cross your fingers and hope for a "whale" table because you have 3 or 4 tables in a night and that's it. I blame the concept itself. It is almost unheard of in this area, sounds like a Law Firm, and the menu is lackluster with direct, more contemporary competition just across the street. It often feels as if corporate wants us to fail, perhaps for tax purposes.

Advice to Management

Market research your area, consider dissolving this site as a "McCormicks" and rebrand it as one of your other Landry's concepts that is better-known in the area. This location should be doing triple what it does. Better, more interesting fish choices. Everyone has perch, trout, whitefish, and awful farm-raised Salmon with mashed and green beans. Go out on a limb and let your clientele know you're doing something a lot more special.