McCormick & Schmick's Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2016

Washington, DC Area

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McCormick & Schmick's Chairman, President and CEO of Landry's Inc. Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta
1 Rating

Pros
  • Can be good money, if you work your butt off (in 7 reviews)

• The food was good, and there was a good management team in place where I was working (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent management,upper management does not follow through with promises , and everyone is out for themselves only (in 6 reviews)

• By far the most unsanitary restaurant I've ever worked in in my entire LIFE (in 5 reviews)

1. "Busser at McCormicks"

Former Employee - Busser in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Busser in Reston, VA

Pros

The people are all extremely kind and working there was an overall positive experience in the restaurant service industry.

Cons

Management cam be slow moving and often times you will have to watch tables your self.

2. "Review of M&S Grill Reston"

Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the managers are very nice and understanding. Food is good. Staff is generally nice. Very easy sidework and cutwork. Business is good on holidays (mothers day).

Cons

Management is disrespectful to employees. Overwork their servers. Many health code violations. Business is very slow in the summer

Advice to Management

I would advise they do not keep restaurants open when the air conditioning is not working. They should also have at least 10 servers employed at all times in order to give the staff reasonable hours.

3. "Cocktail"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast money, 3-5 hours a day max BEST HAPPY HOUR IN THE WORLD!!!

Cons

Sometimes there is no money to be made..

"work environment"

Former Employee - Server in Reston, VA

Pros

There are some nice employees. Food is good.

Cons

Management is not professional. Speak to employees rudely when tempted. Then the next day they can be approachable. One never knows. Good old buddy system. Clicky. Management talk behind one another's backs so u you never have consistancy with policies being enforced

Advice to Management

Let go of people who do not want to be their and start being leaders versus bullies

"A Humbling Learning Experience."

Former Employee - Waiter/QA in Oxon Hill, MD
    Former Employee - Waiter/QA in Oxon Hill, MD

Pros

One of the best jobs I ever had! Did I not mention...the FOOD!

Cons

You have to be a team player. Anyone seeking employment must be willing to work hard and laborious hours.

Advice to Management

Cater to the needs of your workers before your guests. Ensure maximum guest satisfaction, but not at the expense of your hard-working staff.

"This place sucks."

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The servers I work with are cool. I was making a decent amount of money before they started putting 8+ servers on the floor on non busy nights.

Cons

This place sucks. The management is terrible. They don't talk to the guests when there are 30+ minute tickets on food, especially on salads but will be in the kitchen chatting it up with other employees. The kitchen sucks. Food won't be placed on the grill until 25 minutes after you rang it in. The head chef sells spoiled fish and changes the date on expired food items. One of the managers flirts with almost every good looking woman that walks in the place but won't talk to tables about 45 minute tickets. The managers get mad when you ask them to do their job. They take forever to void items and get upset again when you ask them to take it off again. Another manager constantly talks bad about all the servers and thinks he is funny. They constantly push those dumb lsc cards that nobody wants to buy. They want us to sell them because they get a bonus for the amount sold. We tip out to the busser, host, and bartender which is stupid because I bus my tables most of the time and I still tip out when there isn't a busser or host on the clock. I hate working here but it pays my bills.

Advice to Management

Be professional and do the job that you're getting paid to do. Not be in the office (the cave) when you're needed on the floor. Talk to the guest more when the kitchen is backed up so the server won't be punished by getting a terrible or no tip.

"summer job"

Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Pantry Cook in McLean, VA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a lot of great exposure to fine dining techniques (i.e., scratch production, blah blah blah)

Marissa, one of the managers, aside from being GORGEOUS, is really chill/easy to get along with

Cons

some (one) of the management can be (is) a pain in the ass

Advice to Management

you really should offer parking comps for your employees instead of telling them to park in restricted areas (and risk being towed) to avoid parking garage fees

"A Good family environment"

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly towards one another, management can be okay, i understand that at the end of the day they have someone to answer to as well.

Cons

It is a corporate company, enough said.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your staff.

10. "Great and fun"

Current Employee - Bartender in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Reston, VA

Pros

flexible schedules, fun, great hours, great food, very interesting concept with many locations in the United Statesl. Discounts on food

Cons

Late night hours if you work the