McCormick & Schmick's "good money" Reviews | Glassdoor

McCormick & Schmick's Employee Reviews about "good money"

Updated Apr 16, 2019

3.2
McCormick & Schmick's Chairman, President and CEO of Landry's Inc. Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta
Pros
  • "Could sometimes be good money stayed going down hill(in 10 reviews)

• "Good food and people to work with(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hated explaining to customers why our menu continued to decrease in quality but increase in price(in 9 reviews)

• "upper management have no integrity, care only for the bottom line and don't care how you get there(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "good money"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fine Place To Work"

Former Employee - Bartender in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good money, good people, great food. I had a fine time working here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a bartending job.

Cons

They had a very high turnover of management on all levels. This definitely caused a problem. But other than that it was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire quality management, then hold onto them.

McCormick & Schmick's2013-04-25
  2. "Closed"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time

Pros

Great managers, good place right next to the mall. Could sometimes be good money stayed going down hill.

Cons

Landrys sold, new company closed us, no warning

McCormick & Schmick's2019-04-17
  3. "It is what you make it"

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

good money but a lot of sidework

Cons

A Landry's company, open 365 days/year, mandatory use of scripted approach

McCormick & Schmick's2017-09-28
  4. "Decent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Server in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Money, Nice Location, Friendly Staff

Cons

Not great Management, No Food Runners,

McCormick & Schmick's2017-09-03
  5. "Dirty!"

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Can be good money, if you work your butt off.

Cons

Kitchen was dirty. Too fast paced to re-wash things. Would have to hand-wash coffee mugs in between customers, which I'm sure is a health code violation.

McCormick & Schmick's2016-10-06
  6. "TERRIBLY MANAGED"

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful environment, easy once learn the menu, good money 100-200 a shift on average, great coworkers

Cons

The management is terrible, they pick favorites, decide when to enforce rules and will terminate those they don't like. Example, someone was fired for drinking water on the floor while there were countless examples of employees showing up to work intoxicated. They decide who is more valuable to them and keep who they want. Scheduling is all or none. Holidays terrible. They punish you by forcing you to come to... meetings early Sunday morning if you don't sell enough of their 25$ special membership programs per month. Cheesy...

Advice to Management

Perhaps think about being fair and realistic with your employees. Don't call a meeting on Sunday morning at 8 am only to send everyone home 30 minutes later. What you are telling your employees is that their time is not valuable, but hello!! these are the people doing your dirty work.

McCormick & Schmick's2016-05-13

"Y"

Server in Edina, MN

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Good money. Usually busy. Work steady.

Cons

Bad company. You must work all holidays.

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics

McCormick & Schmick's2015-10-24

"McCormick and Schmick's-Good People at Local Level"

Current Employee - Private Dining Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff within the restaurant are great to work with Potential to make good money- Growth in Company is good if you work hard and follow the rules.

Cons

Owned by Landry's Inc.-If you do not like to be micro managed, then this is not the company for you.

McCormick & Schmick's2015-08-30

"Okay money, abusive management"

Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The clientele that comes to dine usually has a lot of money to spend - making it easy to upsell food and drinks. Usually at dinner, a couple won't be able to pay any less than $70. You can really raise the price if you sell an appetizer, entrees, drinks, and dessert. You have potential to make good money.

Cons

Customers are okay. Usually stuck up because they're rich enough to eat at the place, which doesn't bother me. My serious problem is with the management. It doesn't matter what your sales are like, as long as you can sell Landry's Select Club cards. You might as well sell your soul. If you didn't sell four a month, you would get written up. Absurd. An employee who sells LSCs often was caught drunk on the job, but... management turned a blind eye because of his LSC sales. If it would've been anyone else, they would've been fired on the spot. They have a strict "no outside food or drink policy", but they make you PAY monthly for an employee discount??? I had a manager throw out a cup of coffee I brought in for myself because of the policy, but I've seen her bring in leftovers plenty of times. I wouldn't recommend that anyone work here. Everyone I know who is still there is trying desperately to get out.

Advice to Management

1) Give employees incentives to sell LSCs besides the fear of being fired 2) Hire managers that respect their employees 3) Allow servers to bring in their own food.

McCormick & Schmick's2014-10-02

"Work here if you don't mind total disrespect from management!"

Server in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

They try to give time off when requested. The waitstaff that I work with and the chance to make good money are the only reasons to go there.

Cons

Wow! Where to begin? Management is a joke! One guy can't get enough of himself, one guy thinks everything is a joke, and one (GM) isn't respected by anyone! Everything from sections to the schedule is made by favoritism. The management staff is never there when they are needed...usually looking at the internet in the office or watching sports in the bar area. Management talks down to employees and talks about... personal employee situations in front of other employees! No matter what happens it is the waitstaff's fault and the management insults and degrades employees at every chance they get! Trust me...get a job some place else! The management will throw you under the bus before you know it!

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to talk with employees about how our store is being run. Even though many employees fill out complaints about management nothing is ever fixed. They seem to believe that the problems stem from a wait staff that is loyal and hardworking. Take a look at the managers and not only listen to complaints from employees but also act on them.

McCormick & Schmick's2010-11-09