McCormick & Schmick's Employee Reviews about "menu"

Updated Nov 8, 2017

3.4
McCormick & Schmick's Chairman, President and CEO of Landry's Inc. Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta
Pros
  • "Could sometimes be good money stayed going down hill(in 12 reviews)

• "Good food and people to work with(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hated explaining to customers why our menu continued to decrease in quality but increase in price(in 9 reviews)

• "By far the DIRTIEST restaurant I have ever worked at(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "menu"

Return to all Reviews

"Server"

5.0
    Current Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The management is encouraging. Great opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

The menu changes frequently.

2. "bartender"

4.0

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time

Pros

great team of people ,great money

Cons

food menu is very detail

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The restaurant is a generally lax and fun atmosphere to work in. Tips are good. Family like environment between the servers.

Cons

None of the servers know what the food tastes like because management rarely provided taste plates for servers and they offer only one food class a year, with no food at the class. They recently rolled out a brunch menu where we were supposed to try everything, but didn't. Fish all have very slightly different flavors and aside from being able to describe them extremely vaguely, you can't do much. Management also is ineffective at the restaurant I work at in particular because they are so loaded down with tasks that upper management has them working on. Often they aren't able to be out of the office for more than half the rush of the shift because of something that has to done on the computer. Management also continues to overstaff the restaurant because they are unable to see how many servers are actually needed on the floor in the mornings because they are in the office.

Continue reading

"Buy out by Landrys = bad idea"

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's

Pros

Loved the atmosphere and people I worked with

"Week training program"

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The prestige and environment of class of this company is very high. The food is exceptional

Cons

They have a very poor training program for servers. They let me out in the cold with barely any info to study for. I constantly had to ask and beg the servers and the managers to provide some training and good info on their company, menu, etc during my first few weeks of training. They just threw me out into the wolf pack and every servers attitude was very snobby and unwilling to help. what Shocked me the most was some of their servers would teach me the rules, do's and donts to just go and break it themselves!! I was seriously shocked!!

"Missing the Target"

Current Employee - Server in Troy, MI

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stress-Free environment, well managed and great all-around staff. It's pleasant to come to work and there is a lot of flexibility. All of these pros are (probably) the direct result of the cons

Cons

It just isn't busy enough, consistently enough. You cross your fingers and hope for a "whale" table because you have 3 or 4 tables in a night and that's it. I blame the concept itself. It is almost unheard of in this area, sounds like a Law Firm, and the menu is lackluster with direct, more contemporary competition just across the street. It often feels as if corporate wants us to fail, perhaps for tax purposes.

"Dumb & Dumberer"

4.0
    Former Employee - Front of House in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is VERY easy for ANYONE to be hired here for front of house because the turn over is very high, if you're a female under 22 you're pretty much guaranteed a job per the perverse all male management staff.

Cons

While the general manager openly refers to himself as 'God' its the offensive poor managerial practices regularly that contradict mandates and sneak around health codes ( I personally never ate the food after seeing the storage relabeling/non labeling) that stood out. To maintain bottom line profit bonuses for 'God' the restaurant was constantly poorly supplied with everything from silverware to glasswear to key menu items resulting in slow service (we had to literally wait 10-15min to serve a martini drink because we only had 8- 14 martini shell glasses in the entire restaurant) and poor tips, being bullied and threatened into selling the Landry Club cards ($25 frequent diner reward card) your incentives for selling them are bogus and measly and of no monetary value, money can be made here however if you are aggressive enough to backstab, blamegame, lie or just flat out brown nose your way into sections with fair rotation, sidework assignments are biased, bar shift and closing duties are ridiculous( DON'T GET TRICKED INTO WORKING BeHIND THE BAR! You make under $100 for a 6hr shift on busy Saturday nights), you will find that issues cannot be solved because the management has poor individual communication and will openly gripe outloud about your fellow coworkers when they leave the area in an almost gossipy manner... BOTTOM LINE: Landry's owned restaurants have a generally poor reputation on Glassdoor so if you must work there get your experience and get out asap

Continue reading

"Went from valued employee to just a number measured by membership card sales"

Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fresh squeezed juice in cocktail drinks. It's a job so I suppose it is better than no job of working overnight in a warehouse.

Cons

Nationwide corporate menu, no more local selections of wine and down to only a couple Oregon beers on draft. Food is over-priced and hard to be proud of anymore. Open every day of the year. 8 year employee was fired recently for a bad shopper report. It was bad due to the fact that this person had 10 tables going at once because management was trying to cut labor to avoid upper management from breathing down their necks. Too bad, they were really good at their job. Everybody that is good is quitting.

"Worth It"

Former Employee - Server in Anaheim, CA

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy money; easy sidework; good experience

Cons

Tried too hard to force the restaurant to be fine dining when it's not; menu was unorganized and didn't make sense to the customers; open 365 days

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.