McCownGordon Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

McCownGordon Construction Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

Found 16 reviews

4.4
  1. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Field Employee

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is an excellent place to work.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

McCownGordon Construction2019-10-16
  2. "Excellent Company!"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

The people and culture are fantastic. Leadership is very intentional in managing the business and I can't recommend the company more.

Cons

There has been a lot of quick growth in the company and it may be a challenge to keep the same culture.

McCownGordon Construction2019-10-10
  3. "Best Place to Work Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get Culture, Leadership Real does care about you, Salary Excellent, Training is always great

Cons

Insurance less than average

Advice to Management

Give better insurance

McCownGordon Construction2018-11-10
  4. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get what you put in and there is a lot of opportunity to take on more responsibilities. I love the culture of the employees, I truly believe we follow the values we say we do.

Cons

While we are growing drastically I hope our values continue to stay true with all new hires.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - it is hard to find managers that are open to discuss what the company has in store.

McCownGordon Construction2018-09-20
  5. "Wouldn't want to work anywhere else"

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is value driven and management cares about associates as individuals (not as numbers). They go out of their way to ensure each associate is in the best role for their skill set, and encourage professional development. Further evidence that management cares about individuals - the company went 100% employee owned in 2015!

Cons

There have been some growing pains as the company has expanded in size and geographic reach, but efforts are made to minimize the impact of this to all associates.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with decision making. Internal communication will be key as we continue to grow and expand!

McCownGordon Construction2018-08-22
  6. "Up and Coming"

Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McCownGordon Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is a team. Everyone is willing to help at any moment. Good compensation and program for interns, fantastic learning experience.

Cons

No cons. Work-Life balance is what you make it. If you work hard, you will have free time. If you slack off and waste time, expect to work 80 hour weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep the family/team feel. It's been fantastic working here.

McCownGordon Construction2018-07-30
  7. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time

Pros

McCownGordon is a great company to work for. They have been growing steadily for several years now, and continue to provide opportunities for individual growth and internal promotions. The leadership team strives to live out the companies core values (Integrity, Relationships, Performance) and after working here for several years, I can attest that they a great job of living up to their standards.

Cons

Along with steady growth come the occasional growing pains, but the leadership team has done a good job of keeping the focus on the company's core values and strategic plan.

McCownGordon Construction2018-07-13
  8. "MGC is NOT where you want to work!!"

I worked at McCownGordon Construction full-time

Pros

I’ve seen nothing to include here. ALL “in charge” employees turn a blind eye to safety. Of course, it’s a hot topic, to actually act on it? Pffft , NEVER have I seen ONE safety procedure enforced. Not PPE, not fall protection, not a clean work space, nothing is of concern to MGC when it comes to safety.

Cons

Upper management has NO clue how to build. College graduates with a pen is sucking degree is all I’ve seen here, terrible scheduling, unrealistic goals, inability to foresee anything practical. Schedule changes only to benefit MGC. I watched subcontractors jump from one task to another to another in an effort to follow the schedule that was so far from reality. TERRIBLE planning skills, TERRIBLE safety policy... enforcement.

Advice to Management

Hire some skilled, construction competent and seasoned personnel to build the jobs you acquire. MGC will be bankrupt and as usual, JEDunn will remain to pick up the pieces.

McCownGordon Construction2018-01-31

"Love This Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. Great leadership, fun culture, and amazing people. Opportunities to grow and develop. 100% employee owned - we all have a stake in the company's success. Lots of trust and flexibility - flex Fridays, flex PTO, paid parental leave. We work hard and it's because we want the company to be successful, not because of mandates.

Cons

The company is very progressive and growing quickly, which is a good thing, but may be too much change for some people's taste. The growth is well planned and intentional, not out of control. The Strategic Plan is shared with all, and the associates are involved in strategic teams to make it happen. The leadership is skilled at managing change, but if you don't like to move fast, you may want to pick a more... conservative company. Personally, I love being on the leading edge and love the excitement of being with a progressive, growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication, and thanks for placing trust in the associates by making us owners!

McCownGordon Construction2017-10-30
  10. "Journeyman Carpenter"

Current Employee - Journeyman Carpenter in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at McCownGordon Construction part-time for less than a year

Pros

I know some of the employees at McCownGordon and they seem to want the best at what they do. Ian Wood is the first one that I'm referring to!

Cons

The work load isn't perpetual so as a Journeyman Carpenter, I don't work year around.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing in your job as you work as a team!

McCownGordon Construction2017-10-31