McCoy's Building Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian F. McCoy

1. "Alright Part Time Job"

Pros

The managers have been flexible with my hours.

Cons

Lack of communication for new guys

"HQ: Bad pay, bad benefits, stagnant management, no growth potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As is true anywhere, some of the people are nice to be around.

Cons

The pay is dismal, as are the benefits (unless you've been working here for 20+ years). As the management ages, they do less work while getting paid more for their "loyalty" while the low level workers have to pick up the slack while never getting raises. No sick leave. An incredibly negative place to work where your good work and ideas are not prioritized if someone with seniority wants to "keep doing things the way they've always been done". New ideas are seen as a threat to the system.

This company claims to hold family values but doesn't provide enough pay, leave, or flexibility for people to provide well for their families. True, the company is family run, but that is where it stops. Being closed on Sundays doesn't make you a family-focused company. Those in the executive team have enough wealth to be able to provide quality childcare for their families while those doing the grunt work at the company put decades in only to get low pay, terrible benefits, and almost no career advancement opportunities because management only leaves when they die.

Also, there is an incredibly invasive "personal growth" program that everyone has to go through where you routinely sit in a room with your coworkers (and sometimes someone pretending to be a therapist) and are encouraged to share the deepest, most personal aspects of your life, all in the name of growing closer so that the business can be run better by people who really know each other. The true outcome of this, in my experience, other than regular discomfort was actual hostility and hurt feelings between people who shared very personal experiences with the group, only to be given a pat on the back and told to get back to work.

I worked here fairly early in my career and didn't realize how truly terribly run this company was until leaving and working several other jobs. Working at this company was terrible for my personal morale and left me feeling exhausted almost always because it was such a frustrating and fruitless experience. If you can get a job anywhere else I would strongly advise that.

McCoy's Building Supply Response

Feb 7, 2017 – HR Manager

Hello, and thank you for your candid feedback about your time with McCoy's Building Supply. We believe we have made strides in making our workplace more attractive to prospective and current ... More

3. "Compliance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Pros

Great family values within company.

Cons

Pay increase non existent for tenured employees

5. "Stocker"

Pros

Flexible work hours. Off at 6 every day.

Cons

None really from my perspective. New management has gotten the store together.

6. "Yard Crew"

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time

Pros

Family Oriented and caring company

Cons

None. It is an absolutely wonderful place to work

7. "This is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Yard Crew Member in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Yard Crew Member in Tyler, TX

Pros

McCoy's is by far the best establishment I've ever worked for in my life. The company works around your school schedule and the family atmosphere makes working easier and more efficient. The managment looks out for the employees and genuinely cares for its staff, it something you don't see in companies of today.

Cons

I have nothing negative to comment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Good place to work for decent pay"

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time

Pros

Decent benefits; family type atmosphere; off Sundays and evenings; paid holidays; depending on the store overtime is allowed; raises are usually based on performance/promotion; pet friendly; positions are not stagnate

Cons

If the store is short handed, you are expected to work extra hours; can be very emotion/feeling oriented; expectations for staying "busy" are not the same for everyone; raises can be past due

Advice to Management

Expect the same amount of effort out of everyone; dont get after the employee who is usually going 100% for taking a short break when most others are sitting around chatting or goofing off a good portion of the day. Encourage communication and assistance when things gets busy. If you know someone is working hard but has some minor areas they need to improve on, a small raise to recognize all they do with a larger raise to follow once they improve will be received better than no raise until they improve. If you give someone responsibility over others, be prepared to back them up and support them when they ask.

McCoy's Building Supply Response

Sep 7, 2016 – HR Manager

Hello, and thank you for your candid and balanced feedback concerning working at McCoy's Building Supply. While change takes time, we believe we have made significant strides and changes in the ... More

"McCoy's Class C Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bryan, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bryan, TX

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, overtime compensation pay, management

Cons

lots of overtime 55-65 hours/week

"Overall a good company."

Former Employee - Store Inventory Coordinator
    Former Employee - Store Inventory Coordinator

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Honest and down to Earth Christian CEO Brain McCoy. Company allows you to make your family a top priority. Most co-workers at the corporate and store levels are friendly and easy to work with. Freedom to test new protocol to increase productivity and accuracy in my position as long as my main responsibilities were completed on time. I loved the position of Store Inventory Coordinator a lot and will miss it.

Cons

McCoy's store management were allowed to much freedom/leeway to harass and/or persecute employees that they did not care for or employees that they wanted to leave the company. Store management did not follow company protocol and/or company policy if they did not wish to do so, due to a lack of supervision from the corporate office. My position was monitored and audited by the corporate office but, I reported to the store manager who did not make my position a priority. The stress level this situation created for me was almost unbearable at times.

Advice to Management

Store management needs to be held accountable for their actions by upper management and disciplined when necessary just like all other employees who break protocol or company policy. Upper management needs to mentor store managers on a regular basis showing them the correct way to conduct themselves in the McCoy states. Employees who's job performance is monitored by the corporate office should have their evaluations for advancement and/or pay increases handled by the corporate office, not store management. You can not serve two different bosses and make both happy! This Bible verse best sums up my point I am trying to make, Matthew 6:24 says, "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

11. "Assistant mgr"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mount Pleasant, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mount Pleasant, TX

Pros

working at McCoys is a complete nightmare. Whether you work in management or not. You must work on Saturdays and the work is highly labor intensive. You never have the same days off. Once they discover your competent they ride you into the ground expecting you to come in early and stay late. And forget about being treated like a decent human being. The culture is work till you have a heat stroke for pennies on the dollar and if you complain about it you will be assigned more physically demanding jobs.

Cons

Assistant managers are Treated like nothing more than a hired hands expected to work 63 hrs a week for low pay to do extremely laborious task. Pay is low, work days are 10-12 hrs, and store managers treat employees like they're easily replaceable. Regular hourly employees are treated just as bad. McCoys Mgmt tries to act like they care about their employees by doing mandatory counseling with the crew. It's a complete joke and the most disingenuous corporate culture you could ever imagine.

Advice to Management

Treat the team like they're more than slaves who can't find better work.