McCoy's Building Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Galveston, TX

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented and room to advance

Cons

Seems not all emplyees are extremely excited about their job

2. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Plainview, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Plainview, TX

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great relationship and support system, sales team building opportunity

Cons

Meeting always out of town, micromanage is a out off takes away time from building your sales.

Advice to Management

Allow freedom to build team, too much micromanagement and need a reward program for employees

"Good place to work for college, not a full time career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Works with college students and their schedule, you learn all about lumber and building, meet some great people and contractors (they'll give you advice on how to fix stuff at home!), and pretty good pay

Cons

No room for growth unless you're male, you have it in with the McCoy family, or have family with some higher up connections. Didn't get to grow or learn all the skills I wanted, they always said "later" but it never came. Work for a good 2 or 3 years and was never taught to mix paint, re-key, or cut wir/rope/chain. They always gave it to people under me or inexperienced or those who didn't care to learn or bad at their jobs. Also if you're a cashier you're basically almost doomed to be that forever, it sucks, and you're almost always never away from the registers. When you finally get a break from them, you're called back almost immediately. Manger won't admit it, but plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Really take a good look at your employees! The ones who work really hard and want to grow and learn! Stop overlooking them and giving it to whomever you favor. Or giving it to the ones who don't care or make numerous mistakes on a daily basis but have been here a long time.

4. "Great Place for College Students to Work, Not a place to build a career"

Former Employee - Cashier in Alice, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Alice, TX

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They work with college students, they will help you get the hours that you need. They welcome questions and are open to hearing suggestions.

Cons

They take advantage of you being a college student needing money, as in making you stay way, way late doing things that the Full Time Staff finds undesirable.
    The manager (at the time) would make employees do ridiculous stuff to keep busy. For instance, he had me go outside in 35 degree weather to paint the warehouse stairs with oil base paints. The paint doesn't stick well under 65 degrees, and then proceeded to get upset with me about it being off. Older staff acted very vindictively to the younger staff as they were scared of being replaced. Manager plays favorites

Advice to Management

You're doing a great thing by working with college students, but maybe pay attention to how the older employees treat the younger ones. I've seen hard working young employees get fired due to them being disliked by the older staff.

5. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Cleveland, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Cleveland, TX

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

love helping people. close to home

Cons

ill management; need schedule rotations,

Advice to Management

hire someone who has people skills and a clue about how to manage a team rather than a young person who continuously has to be talked to, retrained.

"Operations manager"

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned company with leaders that focus on not only growing the company but also on growing and developing others.

Cons

Hours are long, pay increases are only reviewed once per year

Advice to Management

Consider cutting back the hours so as to allow for more family time, to align with the motto of family values. It's hard to do it all on Sundays alone.

7. "Great place to work, Long hours but very rewarding"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, Friendly, best people to work with

Cons

Long hours, when moving to a new store you don't get very long to find a home. When you want to move you are asked to move within two weeks.

Advice to Management

Give us more time to find a place to live when relocating. This is the only con that I can think of working here.

"Good Family Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I worked at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company understood the importance of family
    Competitive salaries
    Ongoing training

Cons

Had to work on major national holidays
    Medical benefits could have been better

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to how your employees may be treating others in their group

9. "CSS"

Pros

You get Sunday off. That's the only PRO I can thing of how sad.

Cons

Management asks you do to one thing and then you do it and they ask for more.

Advice to Management

REMEBER WHOM MAKES THE COMPANY NOT THE SIGN IN THE DOOR THE EMPLOYEES INSIDE!

10. "Accounts Receivable Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at McCoy's Building Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headquarters: Amazing culture! Mr. McCoy prides himself on creating a family feel in the corporate environment. There are many comforts on the job. A very comfortable atmosphere. The company likes to challenge employees, at least in the department I
    work in. They will seek to identify your strengths and weaknesses and build your position accordingly. Allowing you to promote your strengths but also work on growth and busting through weaknesses. The benefits are fantastic. It really is a dream job in the sense that you enjoy spending 40 hours a week.. Everyone here has pride in their jobs and assumes an ownership of their surroundings.

Cons

The only con, for me, would be the pay. And that is because this area is very expensive. The pay just doesn't come close to the cost of living. Throw in the fact that I am a single mother and it becomes next to impossible. If it weren't for friends and family...I wouldn't make it here at all.

Advice to Management

Not much. Other than maybe reassess the cost of living to wage ratio.