McDermott Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
McDermott CEO David Dickson
David Dickson

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management interference from afar (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management are literally all Scottish (in 4 reviews)

"Layoffs common practice"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are fair. Housed in a nice office building. Useful EHS lunch and learns provided to corporate staff.

Cons

This is not a long term company where you can grow your career. Lays offs are a common practice to the point where they actually use it as a normal budget cut or staffing plan. My manager in particular was a nightmare. Worst boss I have ever had in my 14 year career. HR provided no help with issues I dealt with daily. When it can time to lay me off, it was done in front of the entire department. So humiliating!

Advice to Management

Retaining employees is smarter. You have no long range vision for your greatest company asset -- people.

"Uninspiring Sweatshop"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hahaha. Gym and Cafeteria in the building.

Cons

The CEO is mainly MIA, except for once a quarter town halls. Therefore, he hired a tyrant self awareness lacking person as a CFO to run the company for him. Senior management are literally all Scottish. We are just missing an official declaration of monarchy. The company is run on the ethos of fear. There is no collaboration or trust building. Employees are worked into the ground and stressed to death due to erratic demands from CFO. The turnover in senior management, and the poor quality decision making is a sight to see. Who needs tv. There are some gems of people/management here, but very very few possibly on their way out too. I have worked for large organizations but never one that treated their people so poorly. There is a deadline everyday, and Finance and Accounting organization is one of the worst groups one could be in. I don't see the point of all the running around like headless chickens. One spends 80% of their time preparing for presentations, so there is a real culture of perception management. My advice to anyone considering working for this company is to stay away. The money isn't worth the loss of time for your family or loss of health. This management is trampling over its people at the moment since the economy is bad, but the market will not be bad forever.

Advice to Management

BOD, what are you doing?? Can't you see the writing on the wall? Financials aside, the morale of the workforce couldn't be worse.

3. "Hard work"

Former Employee - Installer in Ixonia, WI
    Former Employee - Installer in Ixonia, WI

I worked at McDermott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned to install granite counter tops

Cons

Longs hours and very heavy lifting

4. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big company. Good projects to work on.Used to have good and reasonable management before.

Cons

Certain engineering team emphasizes politics, you must attach to the small circle. It becomes more incompetent compared to the peer competitors.

Advice to Management

Certain group should learn how to be fair to your employees, learn to get integrity, which are good for company.

5. "avoid this employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at McDermott full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many good individuals working here who know their stuff and are willing to spend time helping others. Get to know the good people and you will learn a lot.

Cons

Constant short-sighted layoffs of skilled workers, then scrambling to rehire them later. Terrible people working in HR. All development programs for employees have been cut. Bonuses are based on factors that employees cannot control or things that make no sense (like unrelated regions being lumped together when determining bonus eligibility). I have friends who still work here who say that the situation has not changed.

Advice to Management

PLAN AHEAD! If the management doesn't know that the the o&g industry has its ups and downs, maybe they shouldn't be in charge. Don't layoff every skilled employee every single time there is a lean month, then scramble to fill dozens of positions the next time a contract is signed.

6. "Platform Engineer"

Former Employee - Structure Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Structure Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Office Air Conditioning and parking lot

Cons

Crab basket. Management couldn't care less about employees.

Advice to Management

Time to retire

7. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great hard working people. Great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Elimination of industry standard benefits such as 9/80 work schedule and employee development programs. Due to company performance headcount reductions have increased workload for existing employees.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for existing employees. Provide development opportunities for all level of employees.

"Sr Subsea Installation Lead"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX

I worked at McDermott (More than a year)

Pros

Diversified, International locations, Used to have a better work life balance. Close to the energy corridor.

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of Strategy, No Employee Recognition.

Advice to Management

Have a long term vision for the growth of the company.

9. "I have been under utilized for my experience."

Current Employee - Senior Principal Designer Subsea in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Designer Subsea in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to be utilized to the maximum of my capabilities. I would enjoy having meaningful and challenging work to look forward to on a daily basis. I can bring multiple years of experience to the organization.

Cons

I do not forsee any challenges with the exception of not being able to travel or go offshore.

Advice to Management

I am well versed in the offshore industry from installation companies to engineering firms.

"Downhill Quickly"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at McDermott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

McDermott used to be a great place to work. They treated the employees very good and people wanted to work hard, they took pride in working for this company.

Cons

Benefits have been reduced. Bonus's are non existent unless you're upper management. Management doesn't listen to the engineers that do the work, causing much waste. Turnover is getting extremely high. Upper management only cares about themselves.

Advice to Management

Try listening to the workers more. Also by not offering better benefits your losing the cream of the crop. Which will drive McDermott into the ground eventually.