Cover image for McDermott Will & Emery

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours with some work being tiring.(in 11 reviews)
  • "I was useful, but only in the roles I made for myself; I wasn't given additional training or education (though perhaps it was a bit much to ask, being a junior administrative staffer).(in 3 reviews)
  • "Occasional long hours and stressful deadlines.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

The BEST law firm

Jul 5, 2022 - Billing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had the privilege and opportunity to work at seven different law firms for the past 22 years (varying in size: small, medium and large). I believe McDermott Will & Emery is the best firm among them. The Firm provides generous time off, ample resources to get help to make you successful in your field and a wide range of comprehensive benefits. But, the most important for me is the sense of a genuine concern on my mental and physical well-being. The legal industry is a stressful and fast-paced environment. I have experienced being overworked and not treated as a valuable member of the firm. There are also firms that ignored the need of additional staff which lead to constant employee turn around. MWE is different, and I am proud and grateful to be part of it.

Cons

I have not discovered or experienced any of it.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Best firm to work for

Nov 8, 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are the best.

Cons

Hours can be long but normal for industry.

3. Join the McDermott Will & Emery team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent Law Firm

Oct 31, 2022 - Legal Secretary in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

McDermott Will & Emery is an excellent law firm to work for. They bring in top talented lawyers, staff, and management. I started three months ago after being recruited from another large law firm. They made me feel welcome and gave me all of the training I needed to do my job. They treat you like a professional and include you in meetings with attorneys and upper management. You feel like part of the team. All of the other offices are there to help you and you feel part of a large organization rather than a local office. The salary is competitive and attracts top talent.

Cons

As a new office, we had a few growing pains in the first month or two. Now things seem to be going smooth.

5. 5.0

Better than expected.

Oct 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

McDermott has exceeded all my expectations as a good place to work. The staff & attorneys are all nice, collaborative, supportive & hard working.

Cons

There is a requirement to come into the city offices during the workweek. And while that is not an issue for me, it can make finding quality help for open positions somewhat challenging

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Continually looking to improve

Oct 24, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Continually looking to innovate Want new and fresh ideas Opportunities for career growth Great colleagues

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle during busy periods Some partners can be difficult to work with for no reason

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Talent is the priority at McDermott

Oct 17, 2022 - Senior Business Professional (Non-Attorney) in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly collaborative environment Ambitious organization, yet very mindful about people and culture Leaders are approachable and has positive intentions and messages Colleagues are respectful, kind and want to get to know one another International level projects for talent development Leaders are transparent with the business outlook

Cons

Has potential for more automation and innovation

8. 5.0

Great atmosphere, great firm

Sep 30, 2022 - Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent management, always looking for ways to improve and keep employees happy.

Cons

Attorney communication could be better, big firm.

9. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Sep 15, 2022 - Sr. IT Project Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-balance, Staff is great to work with across the company.

Cons

Health benefit package could be better

10. 5.0

Best place to work

Sep 8, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance; Scope to explore and learn new technologies; Leaders who listen to their employees;

Cons

There are no downsides in the organization.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

One-of-a-Kind... Really.

Sep 8, 2022 - Professional Staff in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with incredibly smart people is arguably the best part of McDermott and this pushes me to be my optimal. McDermott leans into Pro Bono with heart, especially concerning inequities in the world and in news and is not afraid to express its opinion and call out injustices. I love that. The work is rigorous, but the hard work comes with rewards. It's all good.

Cons

Creating work/life balance for oneself can be challenging, especially during certain times of the year. McDermott is a thriving and growing Firm, so lots of (expected) change and introducing new processes can be challenging for some. Gotta be a quick study!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 250 Reviews
</>Embed

McDermott Will & Emery Reviews FAQs

McDermott Will & Emery has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 283 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at McDermott Will & Emery to a friend and 92% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, McDermott Will & Emery employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at McDermott Will & Emery. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

93% of McDermott Will & Emery employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated McDermott Will & Emery 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at McDermott Will & Emery to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, work life balance.

Popular Careers with McDermott Will & Emery Job Seekers