McDonald's Reviews | Glassdoor

McDonald's President and Chief Executive Officer Steve Easterbrook
Steve Easterbrook
2,305 Ratings

13,947 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • The best part is that i get to meet new people every day, I love meeting new people (in 240 reviews)

• free food sometimes and also flexible hours (in 861 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude customers from time to time (in 523 reviews)

• The negative stigma against all minimum wage jobs is directed towards McDonald's in particular because they are the largest fast food chain (in 444 reviews)

1. ""McDonalds of Levelland, A great place to make money, friends and a long and fulfilling career.""

Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Levelland, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Levelland, TX

Pros

McDonalds is a very great place to work, well at least in Levelland Texas. Our managers are the most trained managers in the area. Our store is known for its quality and producing the most successful employees. Almost all of the staff is committed to excellence and to provide the optimum customer experience. Us employees are treated very well and are payed to our abilities. Our owner is very generous in providing days off and he also gives us good pay. There is also an opportunity to make friends. When us employees have a issue the managers and owner take care of it promptly. This is one of the best places to work for.

Cons

There are really no down sides for working at McDonalds, well I cant think of any.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the support and quality you give your employees

"Waiting in the wings"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

There is respect for every level of employee. In other places the people that clean the bathrooms and kitchens are invisible. At McDonald's analysts and janitors actually have friendly, communicative relationships. That's impressive.

I like the "peer award" system. When someone does something helpful and noteworthy, another member on the team can nominate that someone for an award.

The people are genuinely nice and have a "let's all pitch in and get this done" attitude.

Cons

In an effort to be maximally productive, people sometimes churn out documents without regard for (a) who else is doing the same thing or (b) whether it serves a legitimate purpose.

Advice to Management

not at this time

3. "Have it your way"

Former Employee - Cook in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cook in Chicago, IL

Pros

free burgers, free fries, and all the delicious chocolate milkshakes that any teenager could ever ask for. I loved waking up everyday and putting on the uniform. I made every one in my family so proud that i had such a great job at such a great american establishment. I was the first one in my family who did not just free load off welfare.

Cons

Everyday I came home smelling like french fries and grease. The only smell worse than that was the stench of the managers when they showed up for work in the morning. Pretty gross working environment.. except for the free burgers!

Advice to Management

I would tell them to require the managers to wear deoderant, encourage their employees to have as much fun as possible while they are working, and to use a more competitive pay scale.

4. "Stick With It, It's Worth It."

Current Employee - Franchiee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Franchiee in Houston, TX

Pros

Training is exceptional. You have the ability to become a franchisee regardless of education.

Cons

Starting out, hard work for little money. Takes a while for your income to match the sacrfices of the job. Sometimes store management promotes because of personality and not ability.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is a balance of all personality types in a management team. There is a tendency for management to promote either people just like them or much weaker people who will not threaten their position.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

The best reason to work at McDonald's is the opportunities and advancement within the organization.

Cons

It's who you know sometimes to get new opportunities.

Advice to Management

The two week vacation policy is not reasonable for professional employees with at least 5 years of previous experience.

6. "McDonald's is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Staff - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff - Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Hard work pays off at McDonald's, and the benefits are great - especially the 401K. I've never met a harder working group of people. That applies to the people in the restaurants, as well as the staff in each of the regions. Imagine the challenges of tuning an engine that is running 24-7. That analogy applies to McDonald's - it's a system that never sleeps. But, everyone in McDonad's strives each day to do a better job than the day before. It isn't an easy task. But, it is a cornerstone of the culture.

Cons

We work extremely hard - the restaurants only close 2 days a year. It doesn't matter what your discipline is - it's challenging work. But, we're also the best in the industry. McDonald's is using technology more than it ever has, but it still has a long way to go before technology provides the benefits it has the potential to provide to the system.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise the culture that makes McDonald's special for the cost-cutting, profit-driven needs of the shareholders. Without the culture, we'll loose great people to our competition. McDonald's still has it and it should be treasured.

7. "McDonald's isn't a bad place to work while you are aspiring to do something else in life."

Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR

Pros

The hours are great, the customer interaction is great, the locations are great. It is a great place to work if you are young and need a job that is not going to be your career path for life, but rather as something to get you through college.

Cons

The pay is not that great. You have to deal with rude customers sometimes. Working late nights is sometimes not that great. You smell like fried food when you get home. You are really hungry while working there due to the smell of food all day and sometimes you tend to over eat.

Advice to Management

I think they should pay more and give better benefits.

8. "A first job but not the last job. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denmark, SC
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denmark, SC

Pros

To learn great people skills, Accounting, and most of all it's a building block for future jobs. If you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere. McDonald's opens allot of doors it's not just flipping burgers and cooking fries. It's a starting job for everyone. It's basic so anyone can do it .It's up to you how far you wanna take it. I wish so much for a office job at first but now i can't wait what's in store for me. Maybe one day i will own my own business ,and McDonald's have taught me trade secrets to keep my store going and whatever venture i choose, to keep it profitable which it 's not just clowns and burger it's business. Who else to learn from but one of the biggest venture that has graced this earth right next to Microsoft and Apple. So why not. I enjoy working at my McDonald's and can't wait to see what i can learn next and what life has in store for me. Most people find fast food beneath them but let me tell you something the dirty jobs are the best paid in this instance your getting paid with knowledge instead of cash. Look past the food and look at the cash how are they doing it. Why haven't they gone down the drain with wall street? I believe no matter what happens 10 years from now you'll still be able to buy a big mac and see McDonald's around the city. Allot of people don't get it but i have. Make money take what you can and utilize it your future bosses love money how bout you save them some and make some money doing it. Allot of people own stores or other ventures but don't have people to run it and make it profitable. Mcdonalds can teach you. Did you ever bother to listen? I did. and i expect nothing but great things in my future. Maybe with McDonald's if the moneys right.

Cons

The pay isn't as great as other jobs but if you be patient and work your way up bigger things will come your way. Work hard to be good at something you'll get better at other things.

Advice to Management

Stay strong, thank you for everything and taking me in.

9. "Job security and opportunity await you at McDonald's"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Williamsport, PA

Pros

I'm treated as a valuable asset to the organization. I feel like I have great job security. McDonald's offers an outstanding training program, and the Management Development program offers college credits for courses that make your job easier. Free food during your shift along with discounted food for you and a friend when you are not working is a valuable benefit. Their health insurance coverage offers free annual physicals, along with money back for getting the annual physical...so that's better than free. They are open many hours which offers them the opportunity to be very flexible when scheduling. This flexibility makes for quality family time, while working full time.

Cons

Some customers treat you very rudely.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. McDonald's did get to be number 1 by accident. I feel very secure in my job, and have received outstanding training to help me do my job well.

10. "Good place for a first job"

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

Pros

McDonalds is a great place to work at if you are looking for a first job or you just want to pick up some money on the side. The McDonalds I worked at had a mix of teenagers, retired persons, moms who wanted to make some extra money and a couple crew members who were career McDonalds employees. I learned a lot about working hard and had a pretty good store management team. A big benefit was that our pay was decent, better than retail.

Cons

Some people look down on working at McDonalds and you always need to take a shower after you finish working.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The items on the menu have gotten better and the new stores look a lot better but they need to quit worrying about 'Labor' costs so much and focus on good service first and foremost. All and all corporate is doing a good job.

Showing 13,947 of 14,189 reviews