McElroy Truck Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2018

3.2
J. C. McElroy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company, great pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in Jackson, TN

I have been working at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great home time and fair pay

Cons

Most loads are fully tarped and Health insurance is kinda high

2. "Driver"

Former Employee - Former Driver
    Former Employee - Former Driver

I worked at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good caring company with good training and fleet managers

Cons

The typical winter slowdown that haunts most flatbed companies

Advice to Management

Dont limit your business. If sheetrock and lumber arent moving, find other outlets to keep drivers moving. Steel, machinery, and other cargo will keep drivers running and will lower your turnover.

3. "Mcelroy"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great “small” trucking company to start out with or retire from (depending on where you live).

Cons

Because of location (IN) I was hammered with Chicago runs, which killed my mileage.

4. "Good starter company, dedicated customer always leaves you wanting."

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekends are always off and there's no slip seating for day cabs

Cons

Low pay, not enough work in winter, no bonuses or incentives

Advice to Management

Retention.... Learn it.

"Just be Weary"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, too much emphasis on being picture perfect.

Cons

I was fired, DURING TRAINING, because of a motorist complaint. I wasn't notified until a full week after the event happened. A regular car driver, like a prius or something, called in and said I let the truck roll back at a traffic light. I did, all about 1 foot. I didn't hit anyone. No accident was caused. It was my FIRST WEEK OUT DRIVING EVER in a big rig, you expect mistake to happen, right? Nope. Fired. They didn't ask me or my trainer who was with me about the situation. Even worse it was an up hill stop. They told me to take my things off the truck that friday (the week after the event), i didnt find out why until the following Thursday that i was being terminated. Gave me the option to resign to have a clean DAC, thats how they get you. So if you wanna risk wasting your time like the full month I wasted with them, go ahead. You might actually make it. Im happy I can go to another company with no problem.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your workers. Recognize the meaning of training.

"Bad company"

I worked at McElroy Truck Lines full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

* Recruiter lies . You have a day and and two nights off . Also called a 34 restart . Placement with a trainer might not be close to home.

* Low milage in the Northern parts ( talk to other drivers around the north and see what miles they are getting ) for all the work its deffenatly not worth it .

* They will charge you for quitting.

* Was told by an instructor that McElroy is a bad company and that I should not work for McElroy. ( You know who you are . Dont worry wont use your name ) Also my trainer was talking about leaving when I drove with him ( Met him 4 months later and he quit).

*Turnover % is very high . Have to be a reason why . The instructors left constantly during train to discuss why they cannot retain drivers.

* They constantly threaten you with letting you go during orientation. Their personal skills lack professionalism.

* Trainer was rude not helping and very racist.

* They will not consider you a CMV operator/driver if you drive with a trainer you are noted as a student even though FMCSR does classify you a CMV operator/driver if you drive a CMV on a public road with a CDL. This will mess future applications up for you .

* They focus on a map to get to your destination and don't like a GPS . I drove for other companies and can promise you a GPS is the way to go.

* Very tough to obtain your past logs after you leave.

* very rude people , treat employees like dirt

I am driving for another company and is very satisfied . I would say there is better companies out there with less money per mile but more in your pocket and a lot better treatment.

You don't have to take my word for it , I promise you you will see for yourself .

7. "Nice family company"

Pros

Great workplace environment. Enjoyed working here.

Cons

There were no obvious negatives about this company

8. "Could be worse"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Ennis, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Ennis, TX

I have been working at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, good equipment, almost always send a new load immediately after being unloaded. Check is always right.

Cons

Slowest truck on the planet, camera's invading you're privacy, they teach newbies in Cuba to roll down landing gear all the way and then another half turn instead of leaving a little space off the ground...this absolutely kills you're back while hooking up to loaded trailer because it's way too high.

Advice to Management

Trucks should do 65 mph with fuel price so low...Stop telling newbies to crank landing gear so far down...pay dedicated drivers detention pay for sitting 4 hrs to have truck serviced at TA.

9. "My experience"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Memphis, TN

I have been working at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get home every weekend very understanding fleet manger no problem giving you time off

Cons

Truck slow and pay needs to be higher you leave out on Sunday and come back on Friday

Advice to Management

Get your drivers more pay and this be the perfect company

"What a waste of time. If I could rate them lower than one "star", I would."

Former Employee - Driver in Cuba, AL
    Former Employee - Driver in Cuba, AL

I worked at McElroy Truck Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looked like a good company. Looked like good compensation. Looked like they had rules and stuck to them. Looked like a christian organization in search of good employees. Looked like a great company to work for. Unfortunately, things are not always as they seem.

Cons

They are looking for a way to weed you out from day one of orientation. It seems as though they have no intention of actually hiring all of the people that they bring into orientation. Left drivers go regularly during orientation and yard training. Threatened everyone with being cut if they couldn't conform. Lies, lies, lies. They seem to just be phishing for employees and aren't serious about hiring those people that they invite to orientation. Very strange. I made it through orientation, yard training, and weeks of OTR training and they left me go without notice. I now get stuck with my tuition, because other companies won't reimburse tuition if you went to a different company 1st out of CDL school.

Advice to Management

This is not a game, and you are dealing with people's lives. If you don't intend on hiring people, don't bring them to orientation.