McFadyen Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

McFadyen Digital President and CEO Tom McFadyen
Tom McFadyen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, the culture of this company considers the employee's comfort and believes in each employee owning deliverables (in 4 reviews)

• McFadyen works very hard to provide an awesome work environment for its people (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Surprise by bad reviews, its a great place to work for if you want to be with Best of the Best"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They value your skills. The promotions and benefits are based on the skills. Great work culture, employees are treated like family members. Management is providing support to explore various options in technology. One best thing is getting support from all the technical experts whenever it is needed.

Cons

Improve talent management
    Training in new technologies should be streamlined

Advice to Management

Diversify ASAP

"Chasing their tail"

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teams are broken up by country and city with most of the people in India, then Brazil and a couple in the U.S. That being said your co-workers are going to be very nice people, friendly and helpful for the most part.

Salaries and benefits are high

Cons

The vision is missing
    The leader of the organization micromanages people, changes his mind every other week and is not around to lead.
    Don't take a job there as you will be let go soon enough

Advice to Management

Call it a day or get a new ceo.

3. "Commerce agency on the right track"

Current Employee - Marketing in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vienna, VA

I have been working at McFadyen Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - New market approach with commerce, marketing, and design is solid
    - Taking positive steps to improve market position
    - Investing in new technology
    - Cares about employees

Cons

- Legacy ATG business is shrinking
    - Pivot from legacy on-premise to modern cloud required staffing shifts, mostly affecting India

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the shift to cloud commerce and digital marketing. The market is there, we have the right people in place to grow, and the track we're on is the right path for growth.

4. "Too much Bad Press"

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McFadyen for a very long time provided a long and mutually beneficial career to a big group of people in Trivandrum and Vienna. Excellent Pay ( seriously we should check with the competition), paid trainings (before people started abusing them), great people to work with (For everyone who is complaining, look at the world outside, places where you are now.. Do you get along with everyone and does everyone behave/talk the way you want them to? Do we ever look inside to see what we could have done to prevent things from happening here?) I am only giving 3 starts because management should have done things differently, but it is a small company, we all had opportunities to affect change. For the bad reviewers out there, please point out the efforts you made to make a difference? How many people went out of the way to do things differently, how many of us actually came up with best practices to do our job. Every project meant re-inventing the wheel. Why did we not ever have reproducible code or processes or even standards? We expect Management to solve for our shortcomings too and that is not fair. I worked with McFadyen for a good 3 years at the peak of all great projects. I could have done so many things differently if had a choice. So many people who don't think for a second calling themselves Consultants (including me) but not understanding what a consultant really should do. We all should really take a hard look at ourselves to make sure we did everything in our might to help the company that provided us with opportunity, employment, friends for life, working with some top brands before we destroy the reputation online.

Cons

Yes, the company management should have done better. Maybe too many offices and locations, maybe needing to pivot from ATG lot earlier, maybe thinning out the herd when there were red flags, not taking huge projects despite reservations from senior staff, not putting too many eggs in few baskets (people & technology both). Maybe all we needed to do was to make people actual consultants before sending them out to clients where they fumbled and mumbled through meetings. I wish I could have done more or said more. I have been out a while now, but the time I spent there was the time I learnt the most, I earned the most and I enjoyed the most.

Advice to Management

Full stack developers, Quick iterations with focus on Quality, Random drug testing in India, Real People management (we had some good HR folks a few years ago), Stop hiring people for their communication skills only (for any job period), You want to follow Agile, make sure your customers are ready for Agile too. There are bunch of Customer trainings for Agile that would definitely set the right expectations. Focus on Trivandrum, Try to create on metrics of how many times same people travel to client side. This will tell you there is or used to be a big bunch of population that is not ready for real consulting work. Stop underselling your people. I really hope things get better from here if both management & employees realize the potential.

"Cool place"

Pros

Great CEO. Great vision and leadership.

Cons

Need to pivot from ATG

Advice to Management

Move to SAP or Magento

"Terrible experience and poor leadership"

Former Employee - Technical Architect
    Former Employee - Technical Architect

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time

Pros

There is no pros to this company. It is a sweat shop run by a dictator. No one has any power or control if they want to bring any change to the company processes or wants to help improve. Everyone has to follow what the dictator says else they get fired.

Cons

Company laid off a lot of employees this year and asked many of them to find projects for themselves. The main reason was poor planning no new projects.
    The company wasted a lot of money in setting up offshore huge development centers which was money wasted, they had a lot of overhead onsite for representatives from leadership team whose roles are mere puppets in the hands of the dictator. Good leaders from the company left last year and after that no one in the company is capable of getting new projects.
    This company runs like a startup. All processes are manual and need lot of followups. Even a simple thing like expense report to get approved and paid is a nightmare in this company.
    They simply dont care for their employees and treat them like replaceable entities. Innovative thoughts and ideas are discouraged for old ideas that made things work 20 years back.
    If you dont have a job, you should work here. Else please dont waste your time since this company will make you very frustrated

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees so badly. Value their opinion. You cannot run a company by being a dictator. The company cannot run by itself. Employees are the real assets of the company
    If you dont understand these basics, you are not fit to run a company.

"CEO needs a deep soul searching"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time

Pros

1) Good pool of technical and functional employees who are well versed in Oracle Web Commerce
    2) Good salary for onsite folks
    3) Minimal travel requirements

Cons

1) 'Senior' Management is highly unprofessional and very amateurish. CEO ( Tom M ) guards the company like a family jewel and doesnt allow any professionals to guide the ship. Company had 2 senior VPs in 2015 who could have taken the organization to next level . Alas, the CEO was very reluctant to grow the company and as a result both the star performers quit the company in 2015

2) Absolutely no strategy in place for acquiring new projects . Completely dependent on Oracle Sales rep to hand out the projects . Company doesnt even have a Sales executive !!

3) Petty politicking between Trivandrum and Bangalore offices. There is total lack of co-ordination between India , Brazil and US teams.

4) All the decision making happens by a coterie of employees from Virginia office. Dallas office employees had no say whatsoever in any decision making.

Advice to Management

1) Company CEO ( Tom M ) needs to do a serious soul searching and smell the coffee. There is no strategy in place for future and at this rate, the company will run aground by end of 2016

2) Petty office politics between Trivandrum and Bangalore needs to stop. Location heads need to step up.

3) Please get some serious professionals to handle key areas like Finance, Sales, Marketing, HR and operations.

"Good place to work"

Pros

Exciting projects with good learning opportunities

Cons

Stuck in ATG . Need to diversify

"Innovation and Stagnation walk hand in hand"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at McFadyen Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open office at headquarters keeps local teams working together. Smart, experienced team leads and analysts. Most employees very skilled.

Cons

Poor communication with management and employees. Too many people working on multiple projects, not always where most needed.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open with all your employees and don't always rely on your leftenants to get the story right.

"Horrible"

I worked at McFadyen Digital (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't any pros in Mcfadyen

Cons

Everything
    Impossible to choose them