McFadyen Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McFadyen Solutions President Tom McFadyen
Tom McFadyen

"Innovation and Stagnation walk hand in hand"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at McFadyen Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open office at headquarters keeps local teams working together. Smart, experienced team leads and analysts. Most employees very skilled.

Cons

Poor communication with management and employees. Too many people working on multiple projects, not always where most needed.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open with all your employees and don't always rely on your leftenants to get the story right.

"CEO needs a deep soul searching"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at McFadyen Solutions full-time

Pros

1) Good pool of technical and functional employees who are well versed in Oracle Web Commerce
    2) Good salary for onsite folks
    3) Minimal travel requirements

Cons

1) 'Senior' Management is highly unprofessional and very amateurish. CEO ( Tom M ) guards the company like a family jewel and doesnt allow any professionals to guide the ship. Company had 2 senior VPs in 2015 who could have taken the organization to next level . Alas, the CEO was very reluctant to grow the company and as a result both the star performers quit the company in 2015

2) Absolutely no strategy in place for acquiring new projects . Completely dependent on Oracle Sales rep to hand out the projects . Company doesnt even have a Sales executive !!

3) Petty politicking between Trivandrum and Bangalore offices. There is total lack of co-ordination between India , Brazil and US teams.

4) All the decision making happens by a coterie of employees from Virginia office. Dallas office employees had no say whatsoever in any decision making.

Advice to Management

1) Company CEO ( Tom M ) needs to do a serious soul searching and smell the coffee. There is no strategy in place for future and at this rate, the company will run aground by end of 2016

2) Petty office politics between Trivandrum and Bangalore needs to stop. Location heads need to step up.

3) Please get some serious professionals to handle key areas like Finance, Sales, Marketing, HR and operations.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA

Pros

McFadyen is a very employee friendly company which has been in the eCommerce arena for over 20 years. One of the best things about this company is that all the people around you are seasoned A+ professionals which you'd love working with. The management is easily accessible and supportive. This is very flexible company and doesn't impose any rules/restrictions upon you and you feel very comfortable working here.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thanks for hiring me.

"The Best company I have worked for! I always recommend it to my friends."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at McFadyen Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

McFadyen works very hard to provide an awesome work environment for its people. They also strive to be a reliable employer. They put their employees first. When other employers lay off in droves, McFadyen hangs on, relying on cash they have consistently put away for the inevitable economic recession.

The culture is very easygoing. The people and management are excellent. It's technically challenging but company hires only the smartest in the industry who loves these challenges so the job satisfaction rate is very high. Some companies say they encourage work-life balance, but McFadyen Solutions lives it. Of course there are long working hours during the crunch time but that's everywhere isn't it?

Mcfadyen Solutions has built an incredibly special culture that is down to earth, collegial, supportive, intellectually stimulating, and just out right fun. I absolutely love coming to work here and truly miss the office and our people when I'm away. That's a rarity and something I cherish each day

Cons

Yes, you'll have to average more than 50 hours a week. It varies from Project to Project, across managers and stage the projects are in. But most managers will try to be as accommodating as possible for personal commitments, vacation days, making sure you have a life outside of work and that you don't burn out.

Advice to Management

Overall extremely happy, senior leadership is truly phenomenal at this company. The way management encourages employees for training and certifications with predetermined bonuses and raises, is commendable. However, management should increase the bench strength and reduce the hiring cycle.

"One of the BEST places to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at McFadyen Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – 1. Very challenging work
    2. Sharp & smart people around
    3. Compensation and Benefits - best in the industry. Pay masters compared to their competitors
    4. nice learning facilities in the company - Company trainings, sponsored Certifications etc.
    5. Collaborative work environment, recognition opportunities are endless

Cons

Cons – Sometime the project deadlines are aggressive and one might need to stretch and your work life balance might get a bit of hit.

"Small company with exciting small contracts that will never enter the big league"

Former Employee - Web Integration Consultant in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Web Integration Consultant in Vienna, VA

Pros

If you want to learn ATG (thats the technology they focus on).
    If you want to fight fires and learn a lot in the process.

Cons

The company never grows. Its been stuck at the same size for the last 10 years. Other companies in the same category have gone through booms, gained massive contracts, increased head count, etc. However McFadyen has been stuck at the same size for the last 10 years.

Advice to Management

Try to have a longer term vision, and if its there then its a really bad one. The company is completely stagnant. Focus on quality and project management rather than being a code shop. I'm sure the management already knows this (its been 10 years of the same old same old after all) however they lack the capabilities to grow.

8. "Too much Bad Press"

I worked at McFadyen Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McFadyen for a very long time provided a long and mutually beneficial career to a big group of people in Trivandrum and Vienna. Excellent Pay ( seriously we should check with the competition), paid trainings (before people started abusing them), great people to work with (For everyone who is complaining, look at the world outside, places where you are now.. Do you get along with everyone and does everyone behave/talk the way you want them to? Do we ever look inside to see what we could have done to prevent things from happening here?) I am only giving 3 starts because management should have done things differently, but it is a small company, we all had opportunities to affect change. For the bad reviewers out there, please point out the efforts you made to make a difference? How many people went out of the way to do things differently, how many of us actually came up with best practices to do our job. Every project meant re-inventing the wheel. Why did we not ever have reproducible code or processes or even standards? We expect Management to solve for our shortcomings too and that is not fair. I worked with McFadyen for a good 3 years at the peak of all great projects. I could have done so many things differently if had a choice. So many people who don't think for a second calling themselves Consultants (including me) but not understanding what a consultant really should do. We all should really take a hard look at ourselves to make sure we did everything in our might to help the company that provided us with opportunity, employment, friends for life, working with some top brands before we destroy the reputation online.

Cons

Yes, the company management should have done better. Maybe too many offices and locations, maybe needing to pivot from ATG lot earlier, maybe thinning out the herd when there were red flags, not taking huge projects despite reservations from senior staff, not putting too many eggs in few baskets (people & technology both). Maybe all we needed to do was to make people actual consultants before sending them out to clients where they fumbled and mumbled through meetings. I wish I could have done more or said more. I have been out a while now, but the time I spent there was the time I learnt the most, I earned the most and I enjoyed the most.

Advice to Management

Full stack developers, Quick iterations with focus on Quality, Random drug testing in India, Real People management (we had some good HR folks a few years ago), Stop hiring people for their communication skills only (for any job period), You want to follow Agile, make sure your customers are ready for Agile too. There are bunch of Customer trainings for Agile that would definitely set the right expectations. Focus on Trivandrum, Try to create on metrics of how many times same people travel to client side. This will tell you there is or used to be a big bunch of population that is not ready for real consulting work. Stop underselling your people. I really hope things get better from here if both management & employees realize the potential.

"Cool place"

Pros

Great CEO. Great vision and leadership.

Cons

Need to pivot from ATG

Advice to Management

Move to SAP or Magento

"Terrible experience and poor leadership"

Former Employee - Technical Architect
    Former Employee - Technical Architect

I worked at McFadyen Solutions full-time

Pros

There is no pros to this company. It is a sweat shop run by a dictator. No one has any power or control if they want to bring any change to the company processes or wants to help improve. Everyone has to follow what the dictator says else they get fired.

Cons

Company laid off a lot of employees this year and asked many of them to find projects for themselves. The main reason was poor planning no new projects.
    The company wasted a lot of money in setting up offshore huge development centers which was money wasted, they had a lot of overhead onsite for representatives from leadership team whose roles are mere puppets in the hands of the dictator. Good leaders from the company left last year and after that no one in the company is capable of getting new projects.
    This company runs like a startup. All processes are manual and need lot of followups. Even a simple thing like expense report to get approved and paid is a nightmare in this company.
    They simply dont care for their employees and treat them like replaceable entities. Innovative thoughts and ideas are discouraged for old ideas that made things work 20 years back.
    If you dont have a job, you should work here. Else please dont waste your time since this company will make you very frustrated

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees so badly. Value their opinion. You cannot run a company by being a dictator. The company cannot run by itself. Employees are the real assets of the company
    If you dont understand these basics, you are not fit to run a company.

"Good place to work"

Pros

Exciting projects with good learning opportunities

Cons

Stuck in ATG . Need to diversify