McGladrey LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
McGladrey LLP Managing Partner and CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is very aware of the importance of work - life balance as well as giving back to the community (in 74 reviews)

• When I worked in Big 4 Tax I was expected in the office all day (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work (in 57 reviews)

• Busy season hours are like any other accounting firm (in 72 reviews)

1. "What you would expect"

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

For an accounting firm it is set to grow. Clear lines of responsibility, compensation and a positive work environment except as to be expected during busy season.

Cons

HR needs to understand that growth requires sales.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of growing the company now that you fully own the enterprise and its assets. Recognize the opportunity for automation at the client site to reduce hours.

2. "Experienced Associate"

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Smaller teams, more relaxed than big 4,

Cons

limited high-visibility clients, no SOX work experience,

Advice to Management

Invest more on employees training!

3. "Senior Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the only pro that you have a job to pay your bills

Cons

one of the worst thing that management changes its direction and goals every 2nd year...from RSM McGladrey to McGladrey LLP and agin back to RSM McGladrey.

expect long hours and no life

4. "ok place to work"

Pros

looks good on your resume

Cons

the amount of hours needed

"Tax Manager"

Former Employee - Tax Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in New York, NY

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, good client experience

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement. Almost no female partners. Male dominated.

Advice to Management

Lot of upper management politics which meant very little to no potential for promotion.

6. "Risk Advisory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People were generally nice, and future of the Firm looked bright -- they're growing.

Cons

New hire Onboarding wasn't that meaningful, and already I felt lost by then

Advice to Management

Would be nice to have some sort structure or formality

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Associate in Davenport, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top of the line in technology provided to their employees. The people who work here have the customers best interest in mind. Good company reputation.

Cons

The atmosphere is great of you enjoy working in a cast society. You are either a Partner, with all of the power, or a worker bee. The worker bee's have no say in direction of the company, strategy for pursuits. They have a seperate sales organization who competes directly with their Partners, Directors, and Managers on the pursuit angle. They will do anything to save a dollar. The bottom line is always what they care about, regardless of how it effects their employees. You are a number here. The Partner's will never know your name, unless they need you. I worked here for 5+ years, not one Partner ever asked me what my name was, interests , or ideas to better improve the company experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, at all levels. Be more sympathetic to your employees. Have a career path for all of your employees. Maybe pursue hiring outside of your own family members or friends. Nepotism only worked in the earlier periods of civilization. If you want to compete with the big 4, then you might need to rethink hiring just based off of friends and family members, and more by the most qualified candidates for the position.

"Strong Firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well known firm, good partner leadership, and adequate pay and benefits

Cons

Some of the groups can be extremely competitive and closed.

Advice to Management

Do a better job integrating your experienced hires; hold directors responsible for creating an inclusive culture that capitalizes on everyone's strengths.

9. "horrid place to work"

Former Employee - Report Processor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Report Processor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working here. Just trying to get in the 20 word minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum .

Cons

I do not know WTF is wrong with auditors. They are unable to make eye contact and say hello. Seriously. I'd walk down the hallway, greet someone and say good morning, and they'd turn away, look at the ceiling or the wall or whatever. I was a report processor when I worked there and was basically used as a guinea pig in their failed experiment to get all regionwide reports to be formatted the same way. Sounded like a great idea, but in practice, was not. I understand the guy who trained me was also fired. POS place to work.

"If you need training to learn, this is not the place for you"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to working with partners and other offices was a unique experience. I learned a lot from being thrown into in-charging audits before I was completely comfortable on the role. This experience benefitted me more than I could have imagined in my next role.

Cons

Morale seemed very low when I left. Veteran staff seemed bitter and overworked so it was hard to get anyone to spend time training or explain how to audit. As someone that learns by explanation, this made working here extremely difficult for me on a daily basis.

Long hours and lots of travel are required but the lack of training and support I received when I felt like I was in over my head, coupled with six straight months of 60+hrs/wk led me to pursue an outside position.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees about staffing requests (even if that means providing a week and a day to complete fieldwork) and you might have a lower employee churn rate. Veteran staff with power trips should not be allowed to treat staff poorly. Promoting employees that can't be bothered to train fosters a toxic culture. Hire one extra newbie each year and experienced in-charge staffing levels may improve.

I'm confident the experience I gained here was a critical factor in landing my current role. I now receive 25% more pay. I work 20-30% less hours most weeks and am allowed to ask reporting questions by sending an email. (I worked only five 60+ hour weeks last year).

I would have liked to have stayed longer to enter the private workforce at a higher level but the reality was that I was not satisfied from my first week through my last day due to the lack of training and support.