McGladrey LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
McGladrey LLP Managing Partner and CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is very aware of the importance of work - life balance as well as giving back to the community (in 74 reviews)

• When I worked in Big 4 Tax I was expected in the office all day (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work (in 57 reviews)

• Busy season hours are like any other accounting firm (in 72 reviews)

1. "RSM McGladrey, the place to work"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

RSM McGladrey is a midsized company where everyone works together. We are a very close knit company that managers have open-door policies where anything can be discussed. If I have needs, RSM gives them to me. I am not limited by any resources, and RSM is alway there to provide anything for me.

Cons

The office layout at RSM McGladrey in Chicago is not very well planned. Our group is growing so much that we are running out of room to give all the new hires work space.

Advice to Management

Everyone is very helpful and nice. It really is a great environment to work at.

"Excited about working at RSM McGladrey"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you are a person dedicated to your profession and have a sincere desire to do well RSM McGladrey is a good place to work. Hard work and dedication is rewarded. The opportunity seems endless... it is encouraging to see partners in their 30's.

Cons

The downside is the required hours. My guess is that I work somewhere between 2300 and 2500 hours per year, the majority of the overtime during the winter months. Unfortunately this profession is very seasonal - there really is no way around it.

Advice to Management

I would hope senior management would see how hard people work during busy season and would allow for more flexible work hours in the off-season.

"Neural"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great group of professional, some not so great

Cons

Clients are not publically traded

Advice to Management

More training to associates

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The culture. The culture creates an environment where "the cream rises to the top." It is also a culture where when asked the leaders will take the time to explain to you what you need to do to reach the level above where you are. They actively encourage and reward their employees for their community service. I've worked places where you can't mention having any outside commitments because that would be seen as detracting from the time you should be spending on career but RSM has programs to award employees for their community service and there are many many people in the company that are active in their community.

Cons

The only downside to working at RSM is just the aches and pains of an organization that is growing and has a great number of employees in total. Not many people have heard of RSM and that can be a definite downside when it comes to people asking where you work. I often have to explain to people where I work since they haven't heard of it. It really doesn't have a strong downside and I've worked enough other places so that when I think of this question I can readily site some really bad things about the culture, environment or management of a few of my previous employers but I just don't have those stories about RSM.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they are doing in providing good direction and clear goals.

5. "An amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Very friendly work environment that consistently provides challenging and rewarding work.

Cons

Due to the acquisitions that have occurred over the last several years, there still remains a culture clash between legacy firms brought into the company.

Advice to Management

keep focusing on the future and taking efforts to align the company with their long term visions

6. "Work Hard - Play Hard"

Former Employee - Audit in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great people and good work life balance. As an intern, I was paid really well and sometimes even better than salaried employees when you count overtime pay. Good chance that you will get a full time offer as long as you didn't mess anything up too badly.

Cons

Doesn't give off the allure of one of the big named accounting firms. People still think it is American Express. While interning, I didn't get the feeling that the people at the company were all that intelligent. Don't get me wrong, they didn't seem stupid, but they just didn't blow me away as I thought they would.

Advice to Management

Keep giving solid feedback to interns as to where they can improve so that they leave the company better off then when they joined.

7. "Good place to start in public accounting"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Not as stressful as Big Four. There is a better work-life balance, but not as much as you may think. The hours are still long, but the people I work with make them fairly enjoyable.

Good people is the main reason why I have stayed with McGladrey.

Cons

Like I said, the work-life balance could be better. Also, from the day I was hired, I felt like there wasn't very much guidance in the firm.

Advice to Management

Management could do a better job assessing the employees' work and giving valuable constructive criticism in a more timely manner.

8. "Good opportunity is you are agreesive enough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The company promotes hard working and ambition

Cons

The competition inside the company for promotion is huge

Advice to Management

Have better evaluation system

9. "RSM McGladrey, it's not just a job, it's a career."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Springfield, IL

Pros

RSM McGladrey is a great place for a career. There are many opportunities for advancement, while maintaining work/life balance. Co-workers are friendly, knowledgeable and genuinely concerned for one another.

Cons

Working at a large corporation has it's down side, primarily the internal politics. While internal politics is inevitable RSM does a great job of keeping employees informed and addressing issues as they arise.

Advice to Management

Culture is an important part of any organization so do what is necessary to nurture it. RSM's culture is one of it's most positive attributes and while there are always things happening that threaten this don't allow these issues to change what is most positive about the firm.

10. "Great place to grow"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Working in mid sized companies

Cons

listen to what ppl wants

Advice to Management

to make sure they understand and listen to people needs and wants. it is important for employees to be happy