McGladrey LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McGladrey LLP Managing Partner and CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Made an effort to promote work/life balance (in 74 reviews)

• When I worked in Big 4 Tax I was expected in the office all day (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work (in 57 reviews)

• Busy season hours are like any other accounting firm (in 72 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work - Baltimore"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Assurance Services. Great client base. Knowledgeable and accessible partners. Invested a lot in employees. Great culture. Let you be in charge of your career path and gave you tools to get there. Comp was reasonable. Great for someone looking to really kick-start their career in P/A or finance/accounting.

Cons

Like all those in P.A - long hours and some grunt work with clients. Not as transparent as they should have been with comp and reviews - but that just may be the industry.

Advice to Management

The Baltimore office should be standard of what the organization should be across the nation. Great leadership, valued employees and truly cared about their clients.

2. "Good ole boys and girls club"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very talented associates, supervisors and managers. They spare no expense for equipment.

Cons

Not everyone is on the same systems (i.e. CRM). You have people calling all over the same customer. If you were known and respected, by certain key individuals, then you were safe. If you were not known, then you had a target on your back. The other tax and audit partners do not have faintest idea what our service offerings were. They were territorial of their customers and would not allow consulting people to discuss real business issues related to technology issues with their customers.

Advice to Management

Don't ever tell a person that their is no career path in their job. Put yourself in the shoes of the person that you are doing the review for. Make up something. Life is to short to be wasting time with a company that is not providing career opportunities for 100 percent of the people in the company. We all had jobs in high school. Time to invest in everyone's careers. They have unrealistic growth expectations.

3. "Strong Firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well known firm, good partner leadership, and adequate pay and benefits

Cons

Some of the groups can be extremely competitive and closed.

Advice to Management

Do a better job integrating your experienced hires; hold directors responsible for creating an inclusive culture that capitalizes on everyone's strengths.

4. "horrid place to work"

Former Employee - Report Processor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Report Processor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to working here. Just trying to get in the 20 word minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum minimum .

Cons

I do not know WTF is wrong with auditors. They are unable to make eye contact and say hello. Seriously. I'd walk down the hallway, greet someone and say good morning, and they'd turn away, look at the ceiling or the wall or whatever. I was a report processor when I worked there and was basically used as a guinea pig in their failed experiment to get all regionwide reports to be formatted the same way. Sounded like a great idea, but in practice, was not. I understand the guy who trained me was also fired. POS place to work.

"If you need training to learn, this is not the place for you"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to working with partners and other offices was a unique experience. I learned a lot from being thrown into in-charging audits before I was completely comfortable on the role. This experience benefitted me more than I could have imagined in my next role.

Cons

Morale seemed very low when I left. Veteran staff seemed bitter and overworked so it was hard to get anyone to spend time training or explain how to audit. As someone that learns by explanation, this made working here extremely difficult for me on a daily basis.

Long hours and lots of travel are required but the lack of training and support I received when I felt like I was in over my head, coupled with six straight months of 60+hrs/wk led me to pursue an outside position.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees about staffing requests (even if that means providing a week and a day to complete fieldwork) and you might have a lower employee churn rate. Veteran staff with power trips should not be allowed to treat staff poorly. Promoting employees that can't be bothered to train fosters a toxic culture. Hire one extra newbie each year and experienced in-charge staffing levels may improve.

I'm confident the experience I gained here was a critical factor in landing my current role. I now receive 25% more pay. I work 20-30% less hours most weeks and am allowed to ask reporting questions by sending an email. (I worked only five 60+ hour weeks last year).

I would have liked to have stayed longer to enter the private workforce at a higher level but the reality was that I was not satisfied from my first week through my last day due to the lack of training and support.

"No for minorities"

Pros

The pay and benefits are at par with industry

Cons

Alot of discrimination especially for minority's (blacks)

7. "Audit Senior"

Pros

Great place to work and treated their employees right.

Cons

Long hours and sometimes bad travel.

Advice to Management

Become more flexible during non-busy season.

8. "Audit Manager"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Made an effort to promote work/life balance.

Cons

The company was in transition for most of my 5 years. The pain of integrating small acquired firms into a national practice. Inconsistent direction and lack of clear focus.

Advice to Management

Management needs to continue its effort organize itself and ensure consistent messaging from local leadership

9. "Tax Supervisor"

Former Employee - Tax Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good client base, knowledgeable tax managers and partners

Cons

Still in transition from acquisition of local firm by McG

10. "Great place to grow your career"

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Professional culture is very local and attentive to client needs. Great book of business. Great benefits and pay. Firm growth outlook is very positive.

Cons

Big firm politics. One-size-fits-all attitude from national firm management at times.