McGladrey LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

McGladrey LLP is now known as RSM. Effective Oct. 26, 2015, McGladrey united with fellow members of our global network under the common brand name RSM. RSM US LLP is the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, with more than 8,000 people in 80 offices nationwide.

McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated March 31, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Better work life balance than the Big 4 firms (in 75 reviews)

• When I worked in Big 4 Tax I was expected in the office all day (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work (in 57 reviews)

• Busy season hours are like any other accounting firm (in 72 reviews)

1. "Director"

Former Employee - Consulting Director in Hightstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Consulting Director in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment were professional collaborate across disciplines to meet the needs of the client.

Cons

Unless you are a CPA the ceiling for advancement is limited but this is true of any accounting firm that overs multiple services outside of the standard accounting practices.

Advice to Management

Embrace talent and engage in broader sales tactics. Not everyone that is talented can sell.

2. "Auditor"

Former Employee - Auditor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Orlando, FL

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Awesome learning experience. All of the benefits of a Big 4 firm but the personal experience of a local firm.

Cons

Busy season, but it is normal for public accounting.

Advice to Management

Mentor your staff better.

"Great experience but commitment to staffing levels was lacking"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL

Pros

Challenging work
    Good annual pay increases relative to private industry
    lot of freedom to work autonomously once you have proven yourself

Cons

Busy season deadlines
    staffing levels - for years management refused to increase new start head count, instead relying on consultants to bridge the gap during busy season. This created a lot of pressure on the senior associates as consultants were not prepared/capable of truly replacing a full time audit staff

Advice to Management

If you want to fill the senior associate ranks internally then you will need to have to over-hire at the entry level staff position. Attrition will naturally remove some from the pool before they reach senior associate level so you can't hire one for one and expect staffing levels to work out.

Also encourage managers/partners to learn how to motivate without negativity. Negative reinforcement can work but only to a point. The managers/partners that I really wanted to perform for were the ones who I didn't want to let down because they were invested in me as a person and my career.

"Assuramce associate"

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at McGladrey LLP (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up the chains. I have found that the industry is suitable for quick forward progression

Cons

Imbalance in structure and no uniformity amongst personnel. Pay is average to below average

Advice to Management

Need to work on how personnel are treated. Personnel constantly feel under appreciated.

McGladrey LLP Response

Jun 7, 2016

Thanks for the feedback :)

6. "Ignore this review"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great co-workers. Lots of happy hours.

Cons

Bad hours. You get worked like a dog

7. "Ok Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, RI

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small department, good environment. The office was a nice place to be and the clients were interesting.

Cons

Pay could have been a little better. Some of the managers really let it go to their heads that they were management and took it out on lower ranked employees.

Advice to Management

Mentor management better. This will lead to staff wanting to stay with the firm. Also give them a clear path of promotion.

8. "Naples Office"

Former Employee - Auditor in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Naples, FL

Pros

-Great people and environment. The people really made the office while I was there. In most cases you will be out on a client with one other person (possibly two) and they were always very helpful and were great at communicating with me and explaining the right way to do things. Once the stress from learning how the audit process works went away I was able to really relax in my role there despite the busy hours.

-You will learn a lot compared to other firms. You'll be exposed to several aspects of the audit and the more you learn the more you will be trusted to advance to new things allowing you to receive some great experience.

-While I worked there the office was very industry specific so most of the things you learn one week can be transferred to the next and you are able to learn faster by more exposure.

-Good pay and expense reimbursement. The office is definitely the best firm outside the Big 4 in SW FL not only in name/brand recognition but in the way the office works based on what I've heard from people at different firms in the area.

-Relaxed atmosphere. Even though busy season can be very stressful at times the conversations and environment at clients isn't high stress or that exhausting. If you stay on task and communicate where you are at with your senior you won't feel that overwhelmed.

-Great mentoring and employee development. I was always able to get updates on where I stood with the company and what I needed to improve on and what I was doing well. Working in a smaller office allowed me to always be in touch with my career adviser who was very upfront in helping me know what I needed to do to advance within the company. Even after I left the office they still kept in touch with how I was doing and are still open to give career advice.

Cons

-Busy Season is tough for those who haven't experienced it. Extra hours during the week and work on Saturdays during busy season takes some getting used to but the off season is much more relaxed.

-If you have a combative personality you might not fit in here. A lot of the work is done with one or two other people for a week or two at a time until you get on a job with another senior. People who can get along easily with others are the best fit for this job.

-Sometimes you will have to drive a further than ideal commute and Naples traffic doesn't make the most appealing drive but you will get mileage reimbursement for the further jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasizing culture and find people that fit it.

9. "Look Elsewhere for Tax Internship"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Viera, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Viera, FL

Pros

Competitive Pay, fun company outings, nice coworkers, diverse issue exposure, they show you what it is like to work as a staff

Cons

Little feedback, no teaching, long hours, unless you are a fantastic self study, there is a steep learning curve and the expectations are consistent with staff that has had several years of experience

Advice to Management

Take the time to teach your interns and do a better job evaluating the capabilities of the people working within your company and you might avoid losing future CPAs that now provide accounting services to $30 billion dollar companies

10. "Good to start out with, not for long haul"

Former Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Davenport, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and develop skill set out of college

Cons

Once you become manager level or higher the political BS catches up and it's time to leave.

11. "Solid"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, work is fast paced and varied, quality experience which prepares you for multiple other roles in the future

Cons

Hours can be long (though usually shorter than big 4), benefits are mediocre