McGladrey LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

McGladrey LLP is now known as RSM. Effective Oct. 26, 2015, McGladrey united with fellow members of our global network under the common brand name RSM. RSM US LLP is the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, with more than 8,000 people in 80 offices nationwide.

McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated January 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Better work life balance than the Big 4 firms (in 76 reviews)

• When I worked in Big 4 Tax I was expected in the office all day (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work (in 57 reviews)

• Busy season hours are like any other accounting firm (in 72 reviews)

1. "Office Manager"

Pros

Great people, diversified work responsibilities and I was lucky and reported to a great CFO.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any cons. For me personally, my commute was too far but I did it, non the less.

Advice to Management

Continue to help the staff grow thru training and adding new responsibilities.

2. "Ok Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, RI

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small department, good environment. The office was a nice place to be and the clients were interesting.

Cons

Pay could have been a little better. Some of the managers really let it go to their heads that they were management and took it out on lower ranked employees.

Advice to Management

Mentor management better. This will lead to staff wanting to stay with the firm. Also give them a clear path of promotion.

"Sales"

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility with minimal interference from senior leadership; broad range of services to offer

Cons

Difficult to cross sell services because the target clients were different for different lines of business

Advice to Management

Clarify what services someone should focus on.

5. "Tax Associate"

Pros

Big company without the politicals

Cons

Better real case studies for training stimulation.

6. "Was fun"

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Has a great community. Work was readily available. Great learning experience

Cons

There wasn't many cons. Just the work life balance during busy season, but that's expected in this line of work.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. I would like to see a much bigger variety of coffee though.

7. "Naples Office"

Former Employee - Auditor in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Naples, FL

Pros

-Great people and environment. The people really made the office while I was there. In most cases you will be out on a client with one other person (possibly two) and they were always very helpful and were great at communicating with me and explaining the right way to do things. Once the stress from learning how the audit process works went away I was able to really relax in my role there despite the busy hours.

-You will learn a lot compared to other firms. You'll be exposed to several aspects of the audit and the more you learn the more you will be trusted to advance to new things allowing you to receive some great experience.

-While I worked there the office was very industry specific so most of the things you learn one week can be transferred to the next and you are able to learn faster by more exposure.

-Good pay and expense reimbursement. The office is definitely the best firm outside the Big 4 in SW FL not only in name/brand recognition but in the way the office works based on what I've heard from people at different firms in the area.

-Relaxed atmosphere. Even though busy season can be very stressful at times the conversations and environment at clients isn't high stress or that exhausting. If you stay on task and communicate where you are at with your senior you won't feel that overwhelmed.

-Great mentoring and employee development. I was always able to get updates on where I stood with the company and what I needed to improve on and what I was doing well. Working in a smaller office allowed me to always be in touch with my career adviser who was very upfront in helping me know what I needed to do to advance within the company. Even after I left the office they still kept in touch with how I was doing and are still open to give career advice.

Cons

-Busy Season is tough for those who haven't experienced it. Extra hours during the week and work on Saturdays during busy season takes some getting used to but the off season is much more relaxed.

-If you have a combative personality you might not fit in here. A lot of the work is done with one or two other people for a week or two at a time until you get on a job with another senior. People who can get along easily with others are the best fit for this job.

-Sometimes you will have to drive a further than ideal commute and Naples traffic doesn't make the most appealing drive but you will get mileage reimbursement for the further jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasizing culture and find people that fit it.

8. "RSM"

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on varied engagement. Some work life balance flexibility. The company does provide a decent suite of training options.

Cons

Senior management could use updated and ongoing training on effective communication. Very hierarchical structure that lends itself to impersonal interactions with senior leadership.

Advice to Management

While management does provide training and continuing education opportunities, more targeted training program should be reviewed and deployed.

9. "Look Elsewhere for Tax Internship"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Viera, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Viera, FL

Pros

Competitive Pay, fun company outings, nice coworkers, diverse issue exposure, they show you what it is like to work as a staff

Cons

Little feedback, no teaching, long hours, unless you are a fantastic self study, there is a steep learning curve and the expectations are consistent with staff that has had several years of experience

Advice to Management

Take the time to teach your interns and do a better job evaluating the capabilities of the people working within your company and you might avoid losing future CPAs that now provide accounting services to $30 billion dollar companies

10. "Must like accounting"

Pros

gain insight into a number of clients

Cons

If you do not like accounting, you will not like this job

11. "Good to start out with, not for long haul"

Former Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Davenport, IA

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and develop skill set out of college

Cons

Once you become manager level or higher the political BS catches up and it's time to leave.