McGraw-Hill Education Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Lloyd Buzz Waterhouse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is very clique-y which creates serious bottlenecks (in 29 reviews)

• Real talent is going to jump ship unless a real work-life balance is possible (in 14 reviews)

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Technology Consultant
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

enthusiastic people with the joy of the job taken away by needless process

Cons

Hope the current Management is better than the previous group.

"Manager"

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time

Pros

colleagues - there is a group of dedicated people there who want to do the right thing

Cons

management doesn't trust their people; systems are either antiquated or not built to work across the enterprise, so teams don't have proper tools; they've lost their center and can't seem to figure out where to focus

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in National, WV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in National, WV

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are absolutely excellent

Cons

Lack of support for work being performed, under staffed, does not value input from staff regarding what will help make the job more doable

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees and stop being reactive instead of being proactive in support of retaining customers

"Exciting products, poor management"

Pros

Helping to shape the future of education in America and around the world, adaptive product offerings are exciting and at the forefront of educational technology

Cons

Low pay, dim prospects for advancement, management does not take employee feedback seriously, the drive to push updates occasionally does not take impact on users into account

Advice to Management

Promote from within or you will keep losing valuable employees

"Say good bye to growth and your happiness"

Former Contractor - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- The office is easily accessible through almost all forms of public transit.
    - The office has a pretty lax environment.
    - Friendly staff, who is eager to help.
    - Ability to work from home (if approved).

Cons

- Very little respect from management in the lower positions.
    - There's no clear path for promotion or growth, and the same people keep on getting promoted while others stay in the same role for years.
    - There is little to NO communication within teams.
    - Final product suffers as upper management chooses to micro-manage one day and to become completely hands off for 3 days to just repeat the cycle.
    - Really particular about attendance and arriving on time, despite if you stay until 7 pm and arrive at 9:05. They value attendance and arriving on time rather quality work and good work ethic.
    - Professional is a rotating door, that leaves those behind to pick up the slack with no acknowledgement or support from management.

Advice to Management

You are missing the Human in Human resources. Do better.

"RUN FOR THE HILLS!"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of the people are smart and hard working. Flexible work environment, family friendly.

Cons

MHE used to be an amazing place to work, but when the company was sold, upper management was continually changed in hopes that the company could catch up technologically. They then began to hire management who knew nothing about the business and then rapidly promote them. Marketing in the Professional division is a circus, they hire confused consultants to lead the charge.

If you want to live through constant layoffs, never ending management changes, no inside promotions and answering to circus clowns this is the place for you! No I am not a bitter past employee, just saddened at what a once great company has become. However, there is one caveat, men do rise through the ranks more quickly, especially those who are yes men. If you meet this criteria, apply, your career might skyrocket here.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, listen to your employees who actually know the business. You are not a software company (no matter how many software people you hire), become a digitally advanced content company and you will do better. Investors, look at your upper management, the fish rots at the head.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice co-workers. Good commute to 2 Penn. Decent Comp' and Benefits.

Cons

Poor leadership and poor people management within Corporate. Due to poor oversight mediocre performing employees will often do better from a recognition perspective than their better performing peers. The constant employee layoff's has resulted in low employee morale and a huge loss to the company of experienced employees with institutional knowledge. Burgeoning contractor population. Inherited 'Silo' mentality is still prevalent within some departments.

Advice to Management

Cop on!

"from good to bad"

Current Employee - Per Diem in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Per Diem in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most reps and full time consultants and nice and helpful.

Cons

I have been working for this company as a so called "per diem" for 7 years. When I started the pay was good because all per diems had a daily base of $175 a day. In the last 3 years they began outsourcing payroll to a company called Adecco and that's when everything went south. They came up with a number of rules that were not to our benefit. We begin to get paid an hourly wage and would not receive pay for preparation time. In the last year they capped the number of miles we could claim which has set us way back. At the present if I work 7 hours after taxes and FICA I end up making $60 or less a day. That's not even half of what I would make for a half day's work when I first started. We get minimal training on products and get minimal work days. Every time we go to a training there are more "you can's" added and less " you can". Many per diems have opted to resign because of this. For me it is just not worth it anymore.

Advice to Management

Learn to value part-time personnel and pay them what they are worth. $15 an hour does not cut it for people with bachlor's and master's degrees.

"Customer Service- Blacklick, OH. Horrible management. Not dependable for long-term employment."

Former Employee - Customer Service Product Specialist in Blacklick, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Product Specialist in Blacklick, OH

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back dress code. Overtime available for about 3 months out of the year. For permanent employees, they have a fairly generous amount of vacation time available and an okay benefits package.

Cons

There are so many more cons to this particular location than positives. Please know that the rest of the company is fantastic, but for some reason this location with customer service is just absolutely miserable. The management is the worst I have ever worked for, and they actively work to create and defend an environment that is like a black hole for positivity.

The only reason I would recommend you work here in customer service is if you have a gap to fill with employment, and you look at it as ONLY temporary work. 90% of employees at any given time are from a temp agency and work as seasonal employees. Management will fire temps at any given time for any reason, with the most common reason being attendance. The turnover rate is almost impressive, in a really messed up way. After spending two full years there, I have seen incredible reps let go due to silly reasons. They would rather have mediocre reps on the phone that are on time than amazing reps who might be late once a month. Management maintains very strict attendance policy where you gain occurrences for tardies and absences. Even if you are a couple of seconds late, you are treated like you showed up 10 minutes or 2 hours late. Managers do not budge, even if it is something you cannot control, like traffic or your kid being in the ER. Absolutely zero empathy here, no excuses accepted. I cannot stress this enough.

They use the benefits package as an excuse to not pay more for positions. There are yearly evaluations that affect how much of a raise you are going to get. However, they do not have any concrete examples of how to obtain the highest score; essentially it is unattainable, and that's how they save money. There are three levels: below, meets, and exceeds expectations. They do not tell you how to get an exceeds. Whether you do the basics of your job and just sail on through, or you go above and beyond and break your back for the customers, my direct supervisor told me directly that I would have gotten the same score no matter what (meets). Even their star employees who have been there for over 8 years and are "jack of all trades" employees only get meets.

As the Product Specialist department, they had no idea what to do with us. They hired us on directly as Product Specialists, not as temps, and then promptly used us as glorified Customer Service Representatives. In fact, for our evaluation for 2016, they neglected to change our goals from CSR goals to Product Specialist goals. They told us to "go ahead and approve them, they will be changed at a later date to reflect what you do." 12 months later, that never happened. However, when the time came to evaluate us, all of the over-trained, "glorified customer service reps" only got meets. The management runs exactly like this. They have such a high turnover rate, that they expect everyone to keep their heads down and just keep slaving away without questioning. If you question them, they completely ignore you or give some lame excuse.

The management motivates customer service with the "stick and carrot" technique, where the carrots will always be just out of reach (imagine the cartoon). They want to motivate you to do your best, without ever having to give in to the actual reward. With temp/seasonal employees, that carrot is being hired on as full time. With the Product Specialists, it was possibly getting commission or bonuses at some point when we reach our goals. We had monetary goals every month, and we rarely missed them; the vast majority of the time, we exceeded with room to spare. After two years, they never seriously revisited this option. Together with the fact that we will never get "exceeds," therefore with a higher raise for that year, there was absolutely no motivation to reach our goals.

The management is the problem here. Instead of making big changes where it actually matters to improve employee morale, they introduce fun, "exciting" events or activities to participate in. How about you reevaluate how you make your employees feel valuable and like they matter? How about making real changes where it counts, instead of patching everything up with bandaids when there are flair-ups? Bottom line is- they do not care about their employees, and they fear change.

Advice to Management

Empathize with your employees. Instead of an authoritarian, controlling stance, give them the benefit of the doubt and work with them. Make your employees feel valuable, not disposable. Do not pretend to be our friends and pay lip service to improve employee morale by improving non-essential aspects of the work life; actually make real changes to improve employee morale by updating policies where it matters.

"Stressful place to work"

Pros

- Benefits are decent: health, 401(k) with 6% match; life insurance.
    - Salaries are relatively on par with other companies in the area.
    - Management will sometimes give a bonus for completing a project successfully (more about that under "Advice to Management").

Cons

- Work/life balance is given lip-service and then totally ignored. Someone in upper management was actually overheard saying that if they made the office nice enough, hopefully employees would forget about work/life balance and work more hours. Shameful.
    - There is definitely a "good ol' boy network" and unfortunately not all good ol' boys make "good ol' managers."
    - The Seattle office is open plan--it sounds like an Irish bar on St. Patrick's Day ALL the time. Impossible to hear yourself think, let alone talk on the phone.

Advice to Management

- Dangling a "successful project completion bonus" in front of people is actually insulting--it says that you think people are too lazy to do their job without some sort of outside incentive. Give bonuses for a job well done after it's completed so it's a reward instead of a bribe.
    - You don't have to jump on the latest business fad in an attempt to seem trendy; some fads are worthless at best and counter-productive at worst. Open plan offices reduce productivity and are an insensitive disservice to the countless people who do not thrive in pandemonium and chaos.