McGraw Hill Reviews

Updated May 16, 2022

Found 1,161 of over 1,333 reviews

4.0
McGraw Hill President and CEO  Simon Allen (no image)
Simon Allen

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,889

959 Comments

Teachers

159.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=McGraw Hill~36749
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Some of the teams are filled with really great people and make for an enjoyable career.(in 145 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and potential to gain a lot of industry experience.(in 107 reviews)
  • "Good work/life balance (can work remotely 1 or more days a week if approved by your supervisor)(in 66 reviews)
  • "The pay is good(in 37 reviews)
  • "The people and culture here are great!(in 34 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management, lack of visionary folks(in 63 reviews)
  • "Starting base salary is low(in 30 reviews)
  • "Managers do not budge, even if it is something you cannot control, like traffic or your kid being in the ER.(in 29 reviews)
  • "Senior Leadership wasn't always in touch with the work and dedication that the lower level employees within my department.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Annual layoffs always looming(in 25 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of McGraw Hill and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Best employer

Mar 20, 2022 - Implementation Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing leaders who care about their staff. Competitive pay.

Cons

A lot of travel in certain positions.

Talent Acquisition

At McGraw Hill, we welcome feedback because it helps us learn and grow. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience! If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

2. 4.0

Good Company with Strong Management but Low Compensation

Apr 14, 2022 - Sale Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

McGraw Hill is an exceptionally well-managed company, particularly considering the size of the organization. The culture is welcoming and positive, and you will find no end of support if you ask for it. Toxic people are weeded out quickly, meaning you will look forward to your day, and your co-workers. Management regularly gives the entire company days off, called "Chill Days". During the pandemic, senior management took pay cuts rather than lay off staff - this is a company where you will be treated with compassion, and you will be surrounded by passionate and kind co-workers.

Cons

Compensation and benefits tend to be below what you will find at other organizations. Insurance and other benefits are *ok*, but not great. There are some archaic processes, particularly around inventory control, that cause a lot of customer issues and headaches, but have remained unresolved for years. Sales targets can be top down, and consequently may not be tethered to reality, which can have a pretty large negative effect on sales compensation.

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the comment! We are thrilled to hear you are enjoying your time with McGraw Hill and appreciate the feedback to help us improve. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place, Great people

May 16, 2022 - Sales Associate in Dubuque, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You're treating like a professional. Great trips and nice coworkers. Food days, remote working etc.

Cons

Pay is the greatest. Sometimes businesses is slow.

Talent Acquisition

At McGraw Hill, we welcome feedback because it helps us learn and grow. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you feel supported by your colleagues and enjoy the culture here! If you wish to share any further feedback, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Culture Great Management

Apr 2, 2022 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Managers are all ex-sales people and all know the K-12 space from experience. Company sometimes gives its people random "chill days" just to have extra time off in addition to vacation days.

Cons

Unfortunately HR has basically taken over national sales meetings and the general sessions are basically dividing us up by constant hammering/messaging on sexual identity, gender, etc, despite the idea of the whole group coming together as sales colleagues, aka a team, and looking at sales results as a measure of success, not focusing on discrimination, bias, etc, and preaching to us for hours.

Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your input and value constructive feedback because that is how we grow as an organization. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company. Good benefits.

Apr 29, 2022 - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees truly care about making a difference in students’ education.

Cons

Long hours, but flexible with comp time.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for being a part of our team. We are so glad you enjoy the culture & think so highly of leadership. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

6. 4.0

Great Company, but struggling industry

Feb 16, 2022 - Senior Sales Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

CEO cares about people Better Learning Solutions than many of the competitors Employees care about education

Cons

Innovation is slowing down and zero cost solutions are ramping up, making the industry a tough ecosystem. Turnover has been high over the past few years, which makes it difficult to get things done. Industry needs to learn more from the tech industry and do a better job separating the sales team and the implementation team, though they are trying.

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the thorough review! We are so glad to hear that you feel supported by leadership and appreciate your feedback about ways we can improve. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

7. 4.0

Love working here

Apr 20, 2022 - Quality Assurance in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is fun to work for and takes care of their employees well.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work with other departments that might have different views than you.

8. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Apr 6, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Current management, flexibility, CEO gets it!

Cons

Commission structure could be better

Talent Acquisition

Hello! Thank you for the review. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying the work environment and appreciate your feedback as it helps us be the best company we can be. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Evolving

Mar 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

MHE is an evolving company with moving educational content into digital platforms.

Cons

Education has its ups and downs within higher ed.

Talent Acquisition

At McGraw Hill, we welcome feedback because it helps us learn and grow. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience overall! If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Easy transition from teaching

Mar 21, 2022 - National Sales Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community where you can learn from others.

Cons

Training was a bit awkward but the community is really amazing and all pitched in to help.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback so we can continue to improve. If you'd like to share any further details, please email us directly at talentacquisition@mheducation.com. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,161 Reviews

McGraw Hill Reviews FAQs

McGraw Hill has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 1,333 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at McGraw Hill to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, McGraw Hill employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at McGraw Hill. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

76% of McGraw Hill employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated McGraw Hill 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at McGraw Hill to be work life balance, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with McGraw Hill Job Seekers