McGraw-Hill "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

McGraw-Hill Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Aug 18, 2019

3.4
McGraw-Hill CEO  Nana Banerjee (no image)
Nana Banerjee
Pros
  • "McGraw-Hill Education is a family-oriented organization and incredibly flexible creating a solid work/life balance(in 90 reviews)

• "Great people/culture; flexible work hours/options; rewarding work environment(in 55 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Good Company to work for!"

I have been working at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

MHE has good benefits and is a great environment. Most of the offices are casual and laid back but yet the employees are very professional.

Cons

MHE is still getting procedures and policies in place from their split with Financial two years ago. But it takes time and senior management is doing a great job.

McGraw-Hill2015-04-07

"Death by 1000 Cuts ..."

I worked at McGraw-Hill full-time

Pros

Some good, smart people work at MHE

Cons

Expect to get laid off, devalued, or minimized to the point of not being effective. Horrible senior management culture - good old boys, few women in leadership positions. CDO is a bad leader: lack of accountability, lack of adaptability, poor integrity.

Advice to Management

Quickly figure out how to generate revenue and reorganize the senior leadership team.

McGraw-Hill2018-11-16

"VP"

I worked at McGraw-Hill full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Great life-work balance encouraged for most employees.

Cons

Old-school senior management in the School division.

McGraw-Hill2018-08-01

"A good place to establish your career in the beginning"

User Experience In DPG

I have been working at McGraw-Hill for less than a year

Pros

-Work life balance is pretty good for my department - hours are flexible so long as you demonstrate that you do the work, and you can work from home more often in the Digital Product Group, which means that you actually get more done -People really care about what they're working on - I've worked in enough places where there was a lot more apathy and less of a focus on customer satisfaction -At least in my... experience, people actually collaborate and support each other on what they're working on. I've worked at other places where the atmosphere was a lot more competitive, but people will actually hear your ideas out.

Cons

-Pay for junior and mid-career employees in my division is less than the average for the area where I work. -A lot of the software developers and TPMs in DPG seem really overworked and frustrated with the development process -we're not as agile as we should be. They receive far less support from senior management than they deserve, with too much pressure on building features rather than dealing with maintenance. ... To meet our business goals, we'd need to invest more manpower and resources...which we don't have. -Some (and certainly not all) the business sponsors have a good understanding of the market, but not so much the customer needs that aren't being met that should be incorporated into new feature/product development. They aren't UX experts - and that's OK! But there's still an attitude that "UX makes it look pretty and easy to use magically without enough time and research to back that up," which is driving away good people. I know of 3 really talented UX designers who've left because of the pressure from business units...not because of their DPG technical colleagues.

Advice to Management

Please consider converting more of the contractors - there are some really talented ones who've worked here for years who are overlooked. I have respect for employees who've been with McGraw Hill for 15+ years - but also please take into account the ideas from more junior employees who understand their domain area and can bring in other best practices and ideas from other industries where they've worked. Some... divisions/product groups work with far fewer resources and shouldn't be evaluated by the same criteria as teams with dozens of people are.

McGraw-Hill2017-05-25

"It depends what stage of your career you are"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance is the only thing you have there and that is depending what dept you work for

Cons

Benefits are very basic tuition reimbursement is basic, considering that they claim to be an e-learning company, they should have a more generous policy even offer to pay for everything due to cutting expenses there is no money to attend external trainning, there is so much you can learn through connect 2 culture and morale are down due to constant restructurings In my 3 plus years, I saw one promotion. Most of... promotion happen due to reorgs and you know what that means(lots of works and almost with same pay Very few people hold graduate degrees. Most folks hold a job New Senior management is very hands off, very top heavy, that is why revenue wise they made more money but not employee wise Corporate functions are barely there. Finance dept has a solid operation HR is terrible, a lot of payroll mistakes, need to keep an eye on your paycheck at all times Finance controls everything, not upfront about budgets to sales, a lot of unethical issues

Advice to Management

If you make so many reorgs, how can you measure improvement? Hire experts Get more involve, leadership style where you ask your employees what to do and take credit for solution should not happen at this level. You get paid the big bucks for a reason. Keep Investing money on building your platforms as other leaning software companies are getting ahead. You are so slow for innovation that is scary. Cut throat... decisions will buy you time, but remember to be ethical.

McGraw-Hill2017-04-25

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Learning Technology Representative

I have been working at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When in sales a lot depends on your local District Manager and leadership team. I am fortunate to have one of the best teams in the Company. Leadership is very flexible with schedules, however push you to do your best and achieve goal by years end. Overall HR is moving in the right direction with different programs that truthfully should have been in-place long ago.

Cons

This is a billion dollar startup as many within the company say... they are very growth oriented, however, with the transition to net sales and different strategy implemented this year it will be interesting to see how the next few years work with the transition to digital. The senior management is disconnected with the environment on campus and need to get out to visit with customers more often.

Advice to Management

Visit Campus and customers more frequently. Have regular calls with LTRs, DMs, DLCs to get a better pulse on what is or isnt working across the different districts.

McGraw-Hill2015-12-31

"Change is in our DNA"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Lots of room for personal growth and professional development *Great parental leave policies *Decent benefits *Leadership trusts middle management *Processes appear to be less bureaucratic *Great teamwork, great department

Cons

*Multiple changes in senior management have made the direction and vision of the company somewhat cloudy. While we have an overall vision, communication around it's nuances hasn't trickled down. *Pay seems to be low and low on the priority list of management.

Advice to Management

Consider pay, especially to star employees

McGraw-Hill2015-06-02

"Transforming Unevenly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

New senior leadership is transforming the company into a more successful one.

Cons

Zero leadership in senior management roles.

McGraw-Hill2015-04-17

"In the beginning it was great towards the end not so much"

Former Employee - Credit and Collections in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People I worked with were wonderful

Cons

Most of Senior management had issues

McGraw-Hill2014-06-17

"Without a Modern Salesforce, They'll Never Make It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at McGraw-Hill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Work/Life balance is adequate. Coworkers were mostly good people who just want to contribute to something and make a decent living. If you are comfortable with "managing up" and are good at it, you can remain at this company for decades.

Cons

Sales wants to continue as if it is 1990 and cheap, digital educational resources do not exist. Senior management, while finally embracing the notion that products should be developed for the digital platforms first and print second, still can't figure out how to sell digital products. Marketing and product development execs are often promoted from the salesforce, so the lack of good ideas sort of compounds itself.... Workers in the trenches are often given vague assignments with no clear direction from management, and seeking clarity is discouraged. MHE just continues to watch competitors and respond to them, rather than taking the lead.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management would be to study the companies who are succeeding in the digital space. Acquire as many of them as you can and then leave them alone for at least a year until you realize what you have. Start cleaning out the ranks of sales and marketing people who just don't get it.

McGraw-Hill2013-10-27