McGraw Hill Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

3.9
McGraw Hill President and CEO  Simon Allen (no image)
Simon Allen
Pros
  • "great time and work-life balance(in 113 reviews)

• "Great People and Excellent Benefirs(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "upper management would never be hired in management elsewhere(in 31 reviews)

• "Abrupt mass layoff annually without any prior notice; no standard of work; no work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of McGraw Hill and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great company with nice WLB

Jan 12, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

great time and work-life balance

Cons

The system is very complex

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your experience as a Software Engineer! We are glad to hear you are enjoying your career with us, and thank you for being a part of our team.

2. 2.0

Happy I have moved on

Jan 4, 2021 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent benefits.. 401k match (when i was an employee). flexible work from home policy

Cons

no product strategy... poor leadership. no opportunity for growth (unless you have an in with HBS). frequent layoffs.. no work-life balance (i was often required to work until 3am on a friday night). i could say more but its not worth it.

6 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing honest feedback about your experience. We appreciate your thoughts as we work to keep pace with the changing industry and evolve as an organization. Please email us directly at talentacquisition@mheducation.com with any additional feedback you'd like to provide, and we'll ensure it's shared with the appropriate teams. Thank you again!

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company to work for.

Jan 24, 2021 - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, fair pay, decent benefits.

Cons

Not much room for growth and many managers take a back foot on career development of more junior engineers.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience as an engineer at McGraw Hill. We appreciate your comments about work life balance and benefits, as well as where we can improve. Thanks again and best of luck in your future endeavors!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic place to work

Dec 28, 2020 - Project Manager in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours and work-life balance

Cons

toxic culture of lack of ownership, managers throwing people under the bus, layoffs every six months with new managers every six months or a year at most. People being assigned to jobs with no experience or qualifications due to layoffs.

5 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave honest feedback about your experience. We appreciate your thoughts as we work to keep pace with the changing industry and evolve as an organization. Please email us directly at talentacquisition@mheducation.com with any additional feedback you'd like to provide. Thank you again.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Overall, a good place to work

Nov 6, 2020 - Communications Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and a commitment to providing employees with a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

The overall lack of communication across business units and senior leadership can be frustrating. Also, there are not many opportunities for growth as an employee.

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your experience about working at McGraw Hill. It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed the work-life balance, as well as your colleagues! We appreciate your note about communication and growth opportunities. While we do have a mentorship program and access to many professional development tools and resources, we are always looking to for ways to improve. Your feedback is appreciated! Thanks again.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Was once a great company, but now in steady and consistent decline, which is sad.

Nov 8, 2020 - Marketing Director in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employees, decent benefits, work life balance, well recognized brand.

Cons

LGBTQ, black, Asian, South Asian, hispanics are not treated well and almost none in senior leadership roles. Maybe a token or 2? Considering that they do business with the government, a blistering EOC audit is inevitable in 2021. Very few black or hispanic men!!!

7. 3.0

Marketing Manager

Dec 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, benefits & work perks, training resources.

Cons

Unrealistic work/life balance & lower salary than avg.

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for reviewing your experience at McGraw Hill. We're glad to hear you enjoyed working with your colleagues, and the perks and resources available to you. We strive to provide a flexible work environment and competitive compensation and benefits. If you'd like to provide further feedback, please email talentacquisition@mheducation.com. We'd like to learn more so we can improve. Thank you!

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work. Pay is low for industry.

Sep 17, 2020 - Senior Project Manager in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/Life balance is fantastic. Leadership cares about employees. Like anywhere, your boss can be a Pro or a Con.

Cons

Pay is low compared to industry.

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback! It's great to hear about the experience you've had in your 10 years at McGraw Hill! Thanks so much for being a part of our team.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Strong mission and dedication to education.

Jun 9, 2020 - Associate Academic Designer in Woodland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO Simon Allen is a fantastic leader who is very candid with everyone in the company. There is a strong desire to make education equitable and truly be a learning science company. Everything during the stay-at-home orders has been very flexible and focused on keeping the employees safe.

Cons

Often like to keep workers on as contract rather than hired employees. The company has been working on the work-life balance issue for years, still a work in progress.

Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your review. We're glad to hear you feel supporting by leadership during this time, and appreciate your important feedback about working as a contractor. If you'd like to provide any further feedback, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com. We'd love to find out more so we can improve. Thank you!

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Was a good place to work

Jul 29, 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance and great co-workers

Cons

No longer a growth industry

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for leaving your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed the people and flexibility at McGraw Hill. Thanks for being a part of our team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 132 Reviews