McGriff, Seibels & Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McGriff, Seibels & Williams CEO Tommy Ebner
Tommy Ebner

1. "Account Service Representative I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McGriff is very education oriented. They not only provide but encourage education opportunities from insurance license designations to basic insurance knowledge. There is an easy structure in which to problem solve, and there is never a shortage of people willing to help or answer questions. The overall feeling of the company is one of mutual respect. I feel truly appreciated each day for the work I am doing.

Cons

I have no Cons to report

"Appreciate your employees"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large stable company. Been around for years and will continue to be around for many more.

Cons

Less and less people handling more work. Very stressful atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and truly appreciate them both by telling them and rewarding them monetarily and maybe you can retain more of the newer employees that are being trained and licensed only for them to take what they learned and move along to another job.

3. "assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL

I have been working at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great and competitive salary.

Cons

Very slow at getting you the training you need

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Madisonville, LA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Madisonville, LA

I worked at McGriff, Seibels & Williams (More than a year)

Pros

This company is real easy to work with, they are willing to work on a flex schedule if needed.

Cons

Not always willing to listen to reason.

"Account Service Representative"

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bi-monthly office happy hours and monthly catered breakfasts are nice and there are some good people who work here.

Cons

Dealing with not one but two corporate offices above us is a nightmare. Internet and computer policies are draconian, inflexible, and counter-productive. The culture here is pretty atrocious, and it's definitely a boys' club. The company attempts to cover this up with little gestures like happy hours and catered breakfasts, but it's all just window dressing to cover up for the fact that it's a pretty miserable place to work. There's not a clear path for advancement in most positions, and there's a very large and clear divide between management and the lower-level production employees.

Advice to Management

Value diversity and make an effort to avoid rampant and clear sexism. Treat all employees fairly and with respect. Try and address the rifts between departments. Do more to address HR issues that arise.

"Were you in a frat/sorority? You're gold!"

Former Employee - Alabama in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Alabama in Birmingham, AL

I worked at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

10% of salary bonus, immediate 2 week paid vacation, decent health benefits, hour lunch.

Cons

Cube life, no windows in the building, no room for advancement, if you don't fit the "good ol' boy" mold you don't fit in. They like their fraternity brothers and their sorority sisters. They like their hunters and their football players. Don't think about having any original thoughts or ideas. There is no diversity. 4 black people in a staff of 300+ white people. Hardly any women in producer roles (if any). It's a very antiquated company. Men are catered to hand and foot. Producers are treated like gods instead of like ordinary employees. In my department I was the only one with a college degree and training in my field. It made work impossible.

Advice to Management

Promote women. Hire people with college degrees and proper training. Embrace change.

8. "Senior Account Service Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Account Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Great supervisor in the property and casualty department. This is the main reason employees stay long term.

Cons

Little to no chance of promotion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job.

"McGriff needs to do better or they'll sink"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really nice people working there. The office morale is boosted by happy hour and breakfast, and the benefits and pay are average.

Cons

They do not have any concept of on-boarding. There is no training, and each position feels like a revolving door. They do not value their employee's and are willing to let amazing talent walk out the door because of their inability to reform their corporate structure. The HR department is non-existent so if you have a problem, you better learn how to deal with it on your own because HR won't help out at all. Also, it is a very sexist work environment and it's not diverse at all. There is NO opportunity for growth and there are no meetings held to get input from employee's on how to make the company better and more efficient. The company has established "core values" that they're clearly NOT living up to.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you are doing things, because most of the people who work there are severely overworked and unhappy. Establish an actual on-boarding training manual and reform your HR department so that employee's have a resource/liaison to speak with when they're not happy.

"Portland office broken values system"

Former Employee - Account Services Representative II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Services Representative II in Portland, OR

I worked at McGriff, Seibels & Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Portland office: There are some great colleagues with great skills and positive attitudes, with free refreshments often and a fun party atmosphere sometimes that can feel like family. This helps make the daily life there bearable. Whole company: pretty good benefits for health care and 401k, they were really nice and affordable especially if you use the health check system they have

Cons

Portland office: The morale is so low, because if you don't have an office, they don't care one bit about you. You are basically a slave, with no room for advancement unless you are a friend of someone or someone's kid. The pay lags behind other insurance companies so if you are in the industry, don't expect to be paid as much as other brokers. They have a committee that is supposed to fix the broken values in the office but its made up of management's favorite pets, who all have no will and no authority to fix anything because they are already paid well or given perks like special office equipment and promotions, so if you are already feeling bad, this just makes it so much worse. I always received good reviews in my time there, so I don't feel like this is sour grapes on my part, just my honest feelings and observations.
    Whole company: The company feeds the culture in the Portland office and I wish they would have stepped in more often to fix the things that were obviously broken like very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Get your act together! Get rid of your silly values that don't mean anything except to tease employees who give it their all! Instead show how much people are valued by recognizing their hard work and the value they bring to the clients. If you don't make real changes and focus on quality you will keep having high turnover

"Portland- Disgusting good old boy culture"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at McGriff, Seibels & Williams (More than 5 years)

Pros

Convenient location and some coworkers are good to work with sometimes. Seems like it's successful. If you fit in here you will do well.

Cons

The turnover here is best described as a revolving door. There's no training for anyone, they just sit you there and expect you to learn as you go. If your manager doesn't like you and you don't fit the desired mold, you won't get raises and definitely no promotions.

Advice to Management

If you really want things to be different then make real changes not just lip service.