McGuyer Homebuilders Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Frank McGuyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not all Project managers are created equal"

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mason project is the best. Free food at monthly sales meeting called the GSM (general sales meeting). Morale at weekly sales meetings is high--your peers are kind-and helpful mostly. I recommend this company because you can make a ton of money if you are a closer. There is also a fair amount of sick time and vacation time given. Pay can be 2% straight out the door day 1, or salary option with a incentivized commission structure. $30,000 a year plus .25 commission, gradually bringing you up to over 1%- you can switch to 2% straight commission at the anniversary of your hire date.

Cons

Do not share your difficulties at home (teen conflicts etc). You will be let go if they suspect you are focused on family dynamic improvement if it is anything other than medical.

Advice to Management

Duplicate all Project managers to mimic the Mason Project--both in sales goals and personal work ethic, ie: hire or train existing PM's that care as much as the Mason project leader

2. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Has a good and friendly environment.

Cons

No great benefits or no bonus.

3. "Good company run by good people"

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sell beautiful homes, great income opportunities, not micro managed, company that cares, great health insurance, control in daily tasks, nice corporate office

Cons

Seemingly endless paperwork, inefficient internal processes, work weekends (this is with any home builder!), lots to learn on the fly

Advice to Management

Revamp internal systems to increase efficiency and production

4. "CAD Designer"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice quite office atmosphere and helpful management staff.

Cons

Low pay, little to no raise if any, no room for growth, or employee incentives.

Advice to Management

Pay employees according to market rates.

5. "Just Your Typical Lower Tiered Builder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's really easy to get hired, and if you have any building experience there isn't a lot of competition.

Cons

MHI is ran entirely by the seat of their pants and constantly shuffling managers and employees around to different departments as people leave the company (which is often). The overwhelming majority of managers don't even have college degrees, and are just folks that have stuck around long enough to move from their hourly administrative roles. If you looking for advancement, this probably isn't the place for you. Just about the only way to get a promotion is to find another job and then threaten to quit, in which case you'll quickly be given a raise and title change but deemed an outcast.

Nothing is done with modern builder technology. They still used an antiquated AS400 database system to manage material and PO's, have an Estimating system from 1980 that uses Lotus as its foundation, has 2D outdated architectural plans then are rarely updated, and a crappy in-house Intranet System that only one foreign guy knows how to program and maintain. I will give them credit for trying to bring Hyphen Solutions (Build Pro) on board, though they have been trying figure out how to implement it for the last 3 years.

They bleed money on extra material due to defunct Purchasing department, and simply offset the cost by hiring unskilled, inexperienced workforce on the cheap. Builders are hired straight out of school without training that have to use the own personal vehicles, and don't have access to an iPad or laptop. Project Managers are your typical good ole boys that think screaming and barking shows how smart they are, and the VP's run around sleeping with all the single ladies.

All in all I guess it's just your standard lower tier home builder.

Advice to Management

Pay your experienced employees, update your business systems and try to keep your employees from consistently looking for better opportunities. Also, the mentally of working people just until their breaking point is a terrible style of management.

6. "MHI"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. Great bonus structure

Cons

Going through personnel changes in corporate office

"Corporate office"

Former Employee - Corp Office in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Corp Office in Houston, TX

I worked at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only good thing about MHI are the employees, not all though. Work environment was fun for the most part. They do not value or appreciate employees at all.

Cons

Salary, health insurance, 401k are TERRIBLE!! Lots of gossiping amongst management.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees as they are who keep the company running. I guarantee if you conduct a survey to every employee, you'll be amazed at how they feel. A little appreciation can go a long way. Executives should try interacting with employees to get a better insight of how hard everyone works.

"Excellent Management, Training, and Pay Structures"

Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone knows this is a high turnover industry. If you're not selling, they'll find someone who will. But, the management here is fantastic, everyone is passionate about what they do, and the training is phenomenal. Before they just let a quality employee go, they will try to help you out as much as they can, knowing that you have the support of management and they will try to help you succeed any way they can provides a peace of mind that is priceless. Also, you can easily make six figures if you're selling. Most other builders only offer a 100% commission pay structure. You have that option here as well, or you can choose a base plus commission structure which guarantees you having at least a little something coming in every two weeks to help keep the lights on. I would highly recommend this company to any one interested in a rewarding career with no ceiling on how much you can make. The harder you work the more money you make.

Cons

The nature of the beast is that it's a high turnover industry. Fortunately, the turnover here is very low compared to other builders but you still have the pressure to sell. Sometimes, when things are slow it can get very hard, but when things are moving then it's great. It's always a roller coaster ride of highs and lows almost on a daily basis. If you're not emotionally secure, patient, confident, and able to handle the pressure of sales, then this is not the position for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to help the employees that are struggling become successful. Our success is directly related to your success.

9. "Sales Cohnselor"

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Houston, TX

Pros

MHI is in good communities and build a good home.

Cons

Sales Counselors are responsible for everything. Builders have no accountability. 98% recommendations are a joke. Sales is required to go back and bribe the negative surveyor to fill out a new one. Work many hours then "written up" when unrealistic quota isn't acheived. People over 50 are weeded out quickly. Terrible management. Partners. No respect for a career. I would never work for this company! No Christmas party. No company picnic. No team activities. Terrible company to work for!

Advice to Management

Take better care of your investment in your employees.

"Was promised fair treatment, I was lied to"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at McGuyer Homebuilders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom, you get to drive your own car. You don't have a boss breathing down your back all day, except over the telephone.

Cons

You have to compete with your peers. Nothing is done using modern technology. You still have to go find a fax machine and send your paperwork to corporate. You don't get a tablet to use in the field.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. I am an Iraq vet with PTSD and attention deficit issues. My boss, told me these things were not an issue. Turns out I got fired for "not remembering things" and "not being punctual". My boss knew I had sleep issues and memory issues. He told me he would work with me and excuse me for these things if/when they occur. He lied, and fired me anyways for the exact things he assured me would not have a bearing in the job.