McKenzie Tank Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2017

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Shaeffer

1. "Great place for OTR or home drivers"

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Southport, FL
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Southport, FL

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay ! 0.50cpm. Meal money$ 20 breakdown pay starts immediately I believe it was 15 or $17 an hour layover pay with $50 overnight pay stay in free hotels with no trouble when needed. McKenzie really is all about driver comfort waiting time starts two hours after appointment time then you are paid hourly mechanics are excellent experiencing from Southport CNC over-the-road dispatcher are really friendly and works with the drivers on what they want I can go on forever it's really a great company for drivers in the trucking industry of Bad Company's

Cons

Dental and Health not so good insurance.
    Hours for appointment bounce from night day .lots of waiting for loading and unloading. BUT ! Like I said you're paid to on the downside really there Volvo's who wants to drive Volvo .lol

Advice to Management

Not just McKenzie but all companies need to be more sympathetic to the driver they are not robots it is very important to get plenty of rest sleep and exercise so try to schedule appointments around an individual driver's needs if the driver Works days schedule him for days if he works nights schedule for night don't schedule around the 11 and 14 hour rule just because his 10-hour break it up doesn't mean he can get up and go to work there's no off switch on a driver you can't go to sleep at the push of a button and it's hard to wake up with a push of a button let him get his sleep for hours down in the morning 4 hours down in the evening 8-hour sleep that leaves 12 hours work time if he spends half of his 12 hours waiting to get loaded or unloaded or breakdown don't expect to make the appointment time

2. "This company must have a very high turn over rate due to the fact there offering sign on bonus. Upward of 2500.00."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmm a recruiter will call you give you low down on pay which is percentage of the load. Tell you drivers make 1100 to 1400 a week. Insurance in 60 days.

Cons

But the truth is they are sad company. Who can not keep driver's. Just like rest of the sad trucking companies out there. Offering sign on bonuses. If your company was worth a darn. You shouldn't have to offer a sign on bonus. The recruiter is full of it. Hook you in and drop you like bad habit.

"Couldn't find a terminal to call home!"

Former Employee - Driver in Pace, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Pace, FL

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work and money is decent if you don't mind living on the road! Company stated income is accurate! But don't plan to be home much!

Cons

Pay every 2wks, benefits so-so! For example; dental is 50/50 after deductible! Vision is reimbursement, if you can get it! Hard to make a living just working basically out of one terminal! Gotta be allover the pace to keep it moving!

Advice to Management

If you're gonna do an increase in pay, make it worth the mention! A lot of drivers deserve individual merit, not just across the board increases! Where's the incentive to stay on road and miss quality family time? To work harder?

"company has too many "leaders" and not enough workers!"

Former Employee - Dispatch/Slave
    Former Employee - Dispatch/Slave

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, there are way too many other employees that are rude and only want to point out blame. I did learn a lot while employed 10+ years at this company but I often told my family that I sold my soul to the devil for a small paycheck. I was able to learn a lot while employed and I am prospering well at a new company.

Cons

Drivers are seriously underpaid. Have to give up too much time at shippers and consignees. 2 hours free time on both ends. HR is not helpful, sometimes rude. I do not see the company surviving by letting good people go to other companies. Driver turnover is terrible.

Advice to Management

Get more working people in the office. Monitor your terminal managers more so. Check their daily attendance. A good leader will lead by example, so if you expect your drivers to come in every day, your terminal managers need not have so many appointments and not be available. Same goes for regional managers. A lot needs to be done to improve moral and please pay the drivers a decent living.

6. "Have No Clue What They Are Doing"

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time

Pros

Some terminals are trying very hard

Cons

Recruiting is a mess. Health insurance is worse.

Advice to Management

Hire VPs that actually have experience in the department you are putting them in charge of.

7. "Downhill since replacement of CFO"

Pros

Good atmosphere to work in

Cons

Completely gone downhill since loss and replacement of CFO in 2013 and other executives

"..."

Pros

Friendly community at work place.

Cons

office culture is greatly based on political views

"Anti-American..."

Former Employee - Terminal Manager
    Former Employee - Terminal Manager

I worked at McKenzie Tank Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's better than having to turn tricks or be a drug smuggler

Cons

they are closing terminals and selling trucks. Most of their payroll and after-hours dispatch jobs are having to be out-sourced to Costa Rica just for this company to stay in business... Look at where they were 10 years ago and where they are now... the end is near.

Advice to Management

Close the doors and sell out while there's still something to sell...