McKesson Reviews | Glassdoor

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 102 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't appreciate the hard-working employees with great work ethics (in 76 reviews)

1. "Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry leader
    Previously hired good talent

Cons

Instability
    Moving huge portions of the organization to Texas
    Terrible culture - senior leadership is prone to fits and tantrums
    A bit of an abusive employer - zero concern for employees, work/life balance,
    punitive

Advice to Management

Listen and care about your employees

"Okay place to work for. not the most fair to employees"

Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Bartlett, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Bartlett, IL

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good at taking care of customers making sure all the work gets done accordingly and out the door and correctly. Good team

Cons

Micromanagement tracking everything you do. A lot of overtime. Every hour over 8 hours is not overtime pay only when you have been in the building for 40 hours you get paid overtime

Advice to Management

Employees don't like how much you control them

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company seems to attract nice people and they are a leader in the industry (pharmaceutical distributors).

Cons

Company is moving its operations to Irving, Texas. There is massive unrest for employees currently working in San Francisco and Alpharetta, Georgia. Unless you are willing to relocate, don't get involved. Also, for a healthcare company (Fortune 5 at that), one would think a better medical benefits pkg. could be negotiated and offered. Terrible. (ie, PPO plan, spouse + employee, paid $543/mo for coverage and still had to pay $218 out of pocket each month for an asthma inhaler).

Advice to Management

Good luck

4. "good company if you get in and can manage the turmoil of being there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. however, the healthcare costs are rising significantly on the employee side and make it very questionable.

Cons

with the constant purchase, merge...no position is stable. the change of mgmt. teams at upper levels every 1 year it is just constant turmoil. so if you don't have an iron stomach - life is difficult there.

Advice to Management

stop changing management every year and/or mgmt. styles change and therefore, employees never get to be settled before the next round of changes

5. "Below Standard Fortune 500 company"

Current Employee - AR Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for work/life balance, allows to make-up missed time. Management used to be very careless, getting little better after some managers left.

Cons

No growth opportunities, managers offer a lot of support to their favorite employees even if they are slackers at work , no real actions taken on real concerns and issues, and talented and hard-workers are just ignored and let-down.

Advice to Management

Stop downgrading the company by stopping favoritism and giving enough growth opportunities to long-term and talented employees instead of giving it to ones who just flatter around bosses. Management used to be very careless.

"AR Specialist"

Current Employee - AR Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - AR Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people are great & job is also good to be with

Cons

pay incentives & or increases is poor

"If you're under the HR umbrella in any capacity, RUN, DON'T Walk"

Former Employee - Recruiting in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiting in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company size and financial status is impressive, and it's easy to get lured in by that. Flexible work hours and telecommute is an option. New facility in Irving is really nice.

Cons

Very deceptive processes involved with disciplinary action, and blindsiding is common. It is extremely difficult to fit into the "cliques" and your manager will most likely NEVER have your back in any situation.
    Whomever the accuser is, they are always right; and you neither get to face you r accuser or defend yourself.
    I was "released" without ever being written up for anything, even though my attendance was flawless.
    1 or 2 of my accountabilities wrote something negative on a client survey, and I was gone. No Performance Improvement Process; not even a week to get my business wrapped up. I was released at 10am on a Monday. By Noon, I was no longer an employee.
    Awful treatment throughout uppoer management and leadership on the HR side. Some of them lived in other states and met me once or twice, yet their subjective impressions cost me my livelihood.
    They even tried to block me from getting unemployment when I requested it: They lost, of course.

Advice to Management

"Human Resources" means that you use your workforce in such a way that you leverage their skills to the betterment of your company. It does not mean that you throw people out after a year on the job, loyally working, just because a person turned in a negative review online.
    Nothing was ever even communicated to me about what went wrong.
    And everyone is passive-aggressive and won't be honest to your face.
    What an awful feeling it was to find out that this Fortune 5 company wouldn't lower themselves to pay me to finish out my week. They obviously didn't care about me, my family or my well-being at all.
    My advice would be to practice the "high standards of HR excellence" rather than just give it lip-service. Rather than pretending to care about your people, how about really showing interest in their success. Loyalty goes a long way for a company when it is reciprocated.
    I would never, ever return to a position at a company like this, where respect is undermined daily.
    Even my own manager, with whom I had a great relationship, let me go without even trying to fight on my behalf or even trying to help find a different role for me.
    That told me everything I needed to know about the largest Pharmaceutical company in the country.

"Eh"

Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Pays the bills. You don't have to take work home.

Cons

Don't get stuck here. Go to school. It's hard on your mental health.

"Material handler"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Ruther Glen, VA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Ruther Glen, VA

I have been working at McKesson (More than a year)

Pros

Incentives​, luncheons, t-shirts, rewards, overtime

Cons

Over night for FT, pay sucks, expected to do everything, lazy supervisors and leads, workers don't do much but talk, breakdown of equipment causing late nights, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers and stop trying to be friends with everyone, actually do some work instead of being on the computers or on your phones....

"Moving Corporate Headquarters to Texas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with dynamic, interesting colleagues. For most jobs, you can work remotely.

Cons

The company is moving to Texas. The One Post building has been sold. Unfortunately, they are still hiring people. They are not being transparent about the move timeline with new hires.

Advice to Management

Disappointed in your actions and how employees are being treated.

Showing 373 of 2,351 reviews