McKesson Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

2,157 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Much more productive and better for work life balance which is huge (in 169 reviews)

• ability to work from home was amazing, not sure why every company can't do this (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't appreciate the hard-working employees with great work ethics (in 74 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Caring Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most McKesson Business units demonstrate the ICARE (integrity, customer first, accountability, respect and excellence) principles. This is a strong performing company - and has withstood many financial storms over the years.

Cons

McKesson will address business shortfalls and industry impacts with reductions in force. While this can be quite a negative experience for an individual, the company does provide a good severance package.

Advice to Management

Keep ICARE at the forefront of decisions and continue to build strong businesses.

2. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - ESR Applications Support in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - ESR Applications Support in Warwick, RI

Pros

Great people, Healthy Environment, career wise the BEST

Cons

I really don't see any thing

Advice to Management

Need a Canteen

3. "Great place for those starting out in a corporate career!"

Current Employee - Financial Accounting Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Accounting Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Prior to the HBOC merger debaucle, McKesson was a great and authentic "old school" corporation and I say that with praise to the corporation! Very structured and provided a good "boot camp" for entry level managers or those new to the business world. I grew in my career at McKesson and learned a lot from seasoned managers. Great HR structure. Wonderful middle management who got business done, but respected employees.

Cons

Salary is somewhat middle to middle-low in contrast to industry standard. A little bit behind the times in certain areas, but catching up rapidly in areas of information technology.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and stay the course in maintaining the "old" McKesson values in a "new era".

"McKesson is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

The flexibility and rewarding pay helps leads a comfortable life

Cons

Tied to the job 24/7

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the little guy and everyone makes a company succeed.

"I'm proud to work at McKesson."

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great business sector that's virtually recession proof. Diversified company. Great balance sheet. Overall high customer and employee satisfaction ratings. McKesson is the leader in several categories (e.g. largest distributor of pharmaceuticals and medical & surgical supplies in the U.S.)

Cons

Large company so change is often slow. Incompetence is all too often rewarded with promotion. Weak marketing department (it's really more of an advertising department than a classical marketing department..)

Advice to Management

Streamline the product line. There are too many overlapping products and not even the sales staff figure out when to sell what. Devote more resources to R&D. Innovative products require an up-front investment without an expectation for ROI for 2-3 years.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Triage RN in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Triage RN in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

I work from home and enjoy not having to commute, dress or put on make-up in order to keep up appearences. I also live in a state that does not have a high rate of pay for my type of position but McKesson pays as well as working in a hospital would pay. My supervisor is very supportative and it is nice to feel a connection even though we telecomute and work over the telephone. The work challenges my intellect rather than my physical abilities. It is in some ways a more difficult job but keeps your mind working and sharp.

Cons

Lack or personal contact with my peers. It is sometimes lonely to work in an enviroment that is isolated from your peers and supervisors. Having an instant messaging system to "talk" with others helps some but not having someone present in the room can be disconcerting at times. I do enjoy having the room to myself at home with no distractions but it can be boring when the job demands are not as intense as other times. Also not personally knowing your peers makes it hard to relate to people at times. When there is a crisis on the telephone, having someone there to help you through it would be nice.

Advice to Management

Ease up on some expectations. At times it is difficult to get a process completed in the time given due to patient demands on time.

"Good company on the road to great"

Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Excellent company with good people to work with who care about doing a good job

Cons

Pockets of opportunity for prormotion. If you aren't in the right place you will have to move

Advice to Management

Not all divsions are equally well run. Divisions with problems need a few well thoughtout well comunicated initiatives that every employee nuderstands and supports

"I have loved my internship at McKesson"

Current Employee - Project Manager - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager - Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great people willing to take time to help and teach new things, great experience, learned a lot about pharmacy

Cons

The company seems very disjointed among business units. There isn't really a "One McKesson" even though they are making efforts to change this. It's almost like there are several small companies under the "McKesson" title but they don't work together or communicate at all.

Advice to Management

None. My manager has been the ideal boss.

"Becoming an expert in certain products and supporting them"

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

You get a great understanding of how certain products work. They transitioned into a new team set up in support where you get to actually get to meet the clients you will be supporting.

Cons

McKesson is really bad about getting recruiting information back to you on time. They recruit seasonally so if you have an offer in the Fall when you graduate in the Spring, you have to make the decision to 1) accept the job and back out or 2) take a chance and reject the offer

Advice to Management

I worked with 5 managers and a director. All of them are on the same track of what to do in their department. They all are very qualified to lead McKesson continuously in the right direction.

11. "McKesson Provider Techonologies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

MPT provided an atmosphere where doing your best will get yo noticed. I really enjoyed the closeness of the persons within that division. MPT is a place where I would definitely go back to in the future if the opportunity came about.

Cons

I feel that the salary gap between persons within the same position could have been closed some. Person's performing the same job should be compensated relative to the job being performed.

Advice to Management

Always be aware of how your staff are perceiving the choices being made by management. You should be aware if there are some feelings of unfairness within the organization.

Showing 2,157 of 2,264 reviews