McKesson Reviews in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • Good benefits pay work life balance (in 161 reviews)

• ability to work from home was amazing, not sure why every company can't do this (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • The company was terrible when it came to work/life balance (in 96 reviews)

• It can be hard to receive recognition if you are on a team that does not receive a lot of visibility to upper management (in 73 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great potential for broadening your experience and to grow your career!

Cons

None that I can think of.

"McKesson"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. The company cares about the employees health.

Cons

Horrible healthcare benefits. Discrimination within the workplace

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities

3. "IT Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Richmond, VA
    Current Intern - Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone looks out to help each other. Multiple opportunities

Cons

big company can seem intimidating

"Mixed bag over last 10 years."

Former Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the earlier years of my career at McKesson I greatly enjoyed coming into work. I got to take on exciting new technologies and projects every year, learned a lot and had a management team that I felt genuinely cared about my future and my value within the company.

As a larger company their benefits package is pretty decent and offers a lot of secondary things like education assistance, mentoring programs, guidance lines, matching donations and other things you don't find most other places.

Company culture (at least on marketing materials and communications) seems strong and they welcome diverse hiring/advancement practices.

Cons

Senior management, especially in corporate IT are heading down the path towards outsourcing all their skilled talent in the name of perceived short term gains. Those in management make decisions without even understanding the effects on the businesses they support, and then are rewarded for their shrewd choices.

Yearly re-orgs ensure that you can never become comfortable with your management team, associates, or responsibilities which lead to wasted years where the business essentially accomplishes nothing while they re-align objectives.

Many people in more entry level IT roles are taking on responsibilities well above their pay grade but see no recognition or path for advancement. While positions are posted internally, the company chooses to ignore applicants and hire from outside the company without any consideration made whatsoever. It didn't used to be this way but changes in the last 2-3 years in HR or others within recruitment seem to actively dissuade top performers from growth opportunities. This talent which should be the backbone of the company 10 years from now, instead leaves the company and becomes an asset that they can never get back.

IT business roles are heavily silo'd leading to situations where change management processes for 10 minute tasks require hours of approvals and setup amongst teams.

Morale throughout IT and other business areas is especially poor in recent years which is leading to a mass exodus of the talented people who see the writing on the wall. For a service company like McKesson, the loss of its most talented people is going to lead to dire consequences in the coming years.

Advice to Management

Identify the people in your organization that are keeping it afloat and treat them well. Give them opportunities for advancement and nurture growth within your own organization. Stop outsourcing your best people so you can save a few dollars. Veteran people like this can not be replaced by outsourced talent without enormous detrimental effects on the businesses being supported. These decisions eventually lead to losses through inefficiencies or lost customer base down the road when the company go no longer provide the quality of service it once did.

"Good often, but can't be great, yet."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated people that care.
    Many of top leaders are good people and empathize.
    great benefits
    Many locations, so opportunities for movement up and around the company are there.
    Great support for diversity.

Cons

Business before people. Can be cold at times vs inspiring.
    Red tape is nearly every where and silos tend to happen often.
    More comfort with what has worked before vs what is needed in the future.

Advice to Management

You do a good job with communication on positive events with benefits vitality, inspiring items like icare and lead.
    When things are difficult, all of the inspirational items tend to be thrown away. The focus turns to doing without or cutting. Perhaps, inspiring people to do the extraordinary vs work the system or become fearful of cuts would be a better way. Try it... it might work much better and be better aligned with who we say we are.

7. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Accountant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good amount of PTO time

Cons

No bonus and employer contribution match is average

"Good company but conservative culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Stable company with many job opportunities, good health plan and benefits. Wide network in North America.

Cons

Very conservative work culture at Richmond, VA office

"Inventory Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great Office, Great environment, Great team

Cons

Great benefits but lower overall pay.

"Good company held back by HR policies that do not support young employees and culture that thwarts innovation"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, long-term career opportunities for those who want a steady job in a company that won't change all that much

Cons

Culture inhibits innovation through either overly conservative legal teams, risk-averse senior managers, or a bias against hiring and promoting young people

Advice to Management

Do a better job getting high-pos into roles where they can run with projects that fit their passions. No one I know is passionate about this business, which is a shame because there is so much talent.

11. "Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

The position was fine the first 2 years I was there. Good assignments and the word load was fair, even though I worked on 24/7 on-call.

Cons

My third year there, MMS started merging and buying more companies, which at least doubled my work load as far as IT work. I ended up with very little personal time, and the boss turned very critical on me. No raises to be seen for it either. 10 months of nonsense was enough for me to wise up and leave.

Advice to Management

Take some of your fat salary and hire more help.

Showing 34 of 2,185 reviews