McKibbon Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McKibbon Hospitality Chairman John McKibbon
John McKibbon

1. "Enjoyed the opportunity and experience"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Little Rock, AR

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location and upkeep of the properties I worked were great selling points. Also enjoyed the opportunity to utilize the hotel discounts when item permitted.

Cons

People who looked at hospitality as a 'job' instead of an opportunity to use it as a means to elevate beyond their current position.

"It is an okay entry-level company"

Pros

Decent pay and cross-training opportunities for someone entering the hospitality business.

Cons

"Secret shoppers" will periodically come by, which is completely fine, but they put a strong effort into causing the hotel to make mistakes in every aspect, instead of rating the hotel in a reasonable manner.

3. "THEY OVERWORK YOU!"

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security
    Clear expectations
    CHRISTIAN BASED ALMOST TOO EXTREME

Cons

Micro-Managed
    Unrealistic Expectations
    Selfish Corporate model.

Advice to Management

Modernize your company, micro manage less your leadership team, less reports more strategic marketing like most companies are doing, offer and provide as you preach when it comes to work-life balance, people have families and need more corporate support to allow for this to happen, NOT everything can be handled at property level so expand your corporate support teams, they all lack responsiveness. Pay more competitively, offer PTO it's a humane consideration. Overall a solid small company with old-school favoritism among their veteran managers.

"McKibbon is Second to NONE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very ethical company with an owner that truly cares for his employees authentically.

Cons

The managers that work at the property level do not have the same ethics or managerial skills that you would expect with such a great parent company. I left due to my director being completely unprofessional and impossible to work for.

Advice to Management

Train the managers and directors on property to provide the same culture and values as McKibbon does on a corporate level.

"Great experience with Mckibbon"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great path for development, great resources such as company website and knowing who to go for with questions. Quarterly bonuses and profit sharing for team members. Associate celebrations were appreciated.

Cons

Budget is name of game. Difficult when team member do not have supplies to do their jobs. Reason for not being able to order enough supplies is budget. Not having enough supplies led to delayed cleaning rooms and not having guests checked in when they wanted.

Advice to Management

Employees must have tools to do their jobs. It was a trickle down effect to the guests which led to disappointing GSS.

"Great company."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of fellow GM's and support.

Cons

Salary in typically lower than most management companies, however, great bonus and profit sharing package.

"Quickly Growing Management Company"

Pros

80-90 hotels managed across SE

Cons

Working hard to grow Corporate Staff to keep up with growing folio

"7 year Employee"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

Pros

Profit Sharing is a great perk if you qualify. Was recognized several years in a row as employee of the year/ quarter

Cons

I worked for McKibbon for 7 1/2 years. In those years I never had more then $1 raise. I always had to eat my lunch at the front desk because no one had "time" to relieve me for 30mins. You only get 2 weeks paid vacation, you have to work 10 years to get three wks. After I returned from maternity leave my schedule was inconsistent and seniority didn't matter.

Advice to Management

It is true that you can replace employees at a drop of a dime in this industry, however you shouldn't mistreat the ones that work hard for your company. I understand business is business but treat employees better and your turn over rate will decrease.

"Great company to work for..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance with a family intentions

Cons

non-transparent…but like to say they are

Advice to Management

you getting too big for your britches...

"False promises and lack of respect towards employees and middle management."

Former Employee - Lodge Attendant
    Former Employee - Lodge Attendant

I worked at McKibbon Hospitality part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would leave this section blank, but there is a twenty word minimum. There truly are no aspects of this company I experienced over the years I was employed that make it stand out as being a decent place to work.

Cons

For an hourly employee, you are better off working at walmart. There are only a few benefits offered, and those only become available if you average thirty hours per week over a year. Their business model is to keep hourly associates under thirty hours. A 1-3% raise is offered yearly, and you may have to beg for the yearly review to even be conducted. They would rather you forget about it. Management is unorganized and inconsistent with policies. You may be encouraged to bypass health and safety violations to reduce waste or maintain a budget. Hard workers are held in the same position and go unappreciated while bad workers are not penalized when they should be.

Advice to Management

Corporate- keep in touch with the environment within the hotels and conduct annual sit down interviews with at least a portion of employees from each department to gauge their opinions on the effectiveness of their managers. Your mission statement couldn't be more inaccurate from an employees standpoint.