McKim and Creed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Herb McKim

"Work is Work - Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at McKim and Creed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is work and it's not supposed to be fun, otherwise you wouldn't get paid for it. That being said, McKim & Creed really does a great job of trying to make work as enjoyable as possible while still maintaining a positive bottom line. I know the Raleigh office is a nice work space and nearly every person is pleasant (100% is a tough goal).

Cons

-Not as many extra curricular activities as are available at some larger corporations, however we have been working on this over the past year and I expect to see a continued improvement.
    -The tools I need are accessed from the office so working remote is not an option.
    -Large drafting desks are not convertible to standing desks :)

Advice to Management

I like the improvements I am seeing to make work a more multidimensional environment. We spend so much time at work that it plays an instrumental role in quality of life. Please continue to improve the ways work contributes to our lives in order to keep happy, productive employees. One aspect I know is currently lagging is vacation time. I understand the focus on utilization, but don't underestimate the positive impacts of an employee refreshed from a relaxing vacation. Please consider finding an effective way of increasing the amount of vacation time for all employees.

""Alternative Facts" During Interview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at McKim and Creed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good things, if you call them that, such as: plenty of overtime, per diem, insurance is reasonable, profit sharing. Company does not contribute to your 401k because of the profit share that you get after one year (not fully vest until 5 years).

Cons

Please note that this is a review of the Norfolk/Virginia Beach location. You will be told and promised one thing during the interview, but after you are hired you will find out that most of it was "Alternative Facts". You will be working in a "Safety Only Comes Seconds To Profit" type work environment, where safety practices are something they tend to turn a blind eye toward. I worked 5 days out of 7 days out of state which wasn't too bad. But there are times when you will be out of state for weeks at a time. This job is not really for a person that is married. Leadership and management is basically none existence and training, well there isn't any training. They buy software and equipment and expect you to get it up and running they day they hand it to you. Problem is that no one has any knowledge of the workings of said purchases, only that they heard about it or saw as demo somewhere.

Advice to Management

Due a safety assessment before OSHA does. When you hire supervisors and managers, hire ones that meet the qualification of said positions and stop having subordinates do both jobs. TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING!

"The company was good years ago."

Former Employee - Land Surveyor in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Land Surveyor in Wilmington, NC

I worked at McKim and Creed full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company in other offices outside of Wilmington as long as you're not working under the Wilmington management.

Cons

Worked in the Wilmington NC office for 10+ years. If you do hard work, it goes unnoticed. They basically take advantage of you. I was fired over a conversation the manager and another employee had while drinking beer. What reason? Still not sure. Management is very poor.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Especially someone who put in 10+ years.

"Poorly managed engineering firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at McKim and Creed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The lack of management means there is little oversight.
    The high employee turnover means they are desperate for technicians, so they let many work remotely.
    Drinking beer in the office late afternoons.
    Tuition reimbursement capped at 5.25 K annual.

Cons

Poor project organization and outrageous demands by project mangers largely responsible for high rate of tech staff turnover.
    They will lie about reasons of dismissal to try to deny unemployment to employees.
    Little chances for advancement and career growth for technicians.
    Unethical, corner cutting on some projects even with long term clients. For instance saying collection would happen by McKim & Creed techs in the US and then farming out work to India to inferior techs to try to make budget.
    I had several people who I worked with at previous job that also floundered at McKim & Creed and have gone on to do great things in the industry once they got to their next job and were properly utilized and managed so my experience is not unique at this office.

Advice to Management

Manage your projects once they get n the door so the technicians are set up to succeed to meet client needs. Be ethical and honest towards your long term clients and employees which I saw violated during my three year tenure. Make a work environment that makes technicians want to stay at your office. The rate of turnover leads to poor project outcomes and no sense of security.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at McKim and Creed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They make it possible to have a good work/life balance. A very professional atmosphere. They have grown well and have solid leadership.

Cons

While there are nice office perks and they strive to treat employees well, salaries and benefits are a bit below average.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture of the company by believing the best of your employees and rewarding hard work.

"SUE Manager"

Current Employee - Florida Utility Manager in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Florida Utility Manager in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at McKim and Creed (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership and commitment fields employees are awesome

Cons

Long commute and not willing to work with your schedules

Advice to Management

Open the Eyes to see what corporate id doing.

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at McKim and Creed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and chilled work place.

Cons

No growth in sight for current and future employees.

Advice to Management

Embrace technology and change better. Just because something has been working one way doesn't mean that it's the best way.

"Initially it was a good company to work for although my thoughts about the co. has changed over the years. Dissapointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Salaries were good, very flexible with my work schedule & personal time off.

Cons

On occassion there were times I needed to travel, assist within the dept for various reasons, & never felt appreciated & never recognized for my efforts.

Advice to Management

Cannot be trusted

10. "Good Place To Work"

I have been working at McKim and Creed full-time

Pros

Management has a very good attitude towards employees. No backstabbing. Not a good old boy network type of place. Serious about treating clients right and not cheating them for a few extra dollars. Ethical in their business dealings with clients and employees alike.

Cons

I haven't run into any yet.

Advice to Management

You're on the right track but keep beefing up your investments in Business Development like you're doing.

11. "Choose not to disclose"

I have been working at McKim and Creed full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, Flexibility, Senior executives, support and encouragement with regards to professional development.

Cons

Vacation time accrual needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees as you are already shown by implementing changes we as employees expressed in the survey for the Great Firms To Work For.