McKinley, Inc. Leasing Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

1.4
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of fast-paced learning opportunities for the real estate professional to be challenged and grow (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great people, and leadership that really cares about the employee's (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Important to set the work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management will throw anyone under the bus (in 16 reviews)

"Poor experience"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay compared to other jobs in the industry. The commission is good, but that is only if you have a good team. If you are working with another salesperson who gets "the front desk", then they will snag all leads who come through the door.

Cons

A multi-billion dollar company will not pay for marketing. Sales consultants are responsible for creating Craigslist ads every day, which does not attract the best demographic in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Effective communication is key to maintaining good employees. Do not expect certain things to do be done a certain way if the correct way was never clearly communicated in the first place.

"Do Not Recommend"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for an hourly position.

Cons

They don't prepare you at all for what's to come. They place you at an incredibly slow location for like, 4 days, and help you ATTEMPT to grasp what it will be like at a busy location. They fail miserably at that. The amount of turnover for the position I was in was absolutely unreal. They're constantly hiring for this position because they can't keep anyone. Trust me, I saw the comments on Glassdoor about this position before and it kind of made me wonder, but I wanted to see for myself. They're all correct. Run. Far, far away.

Advice to Management

Please figure out how to actually train your employees. Put effort into placing them where they'll ACTUALLY be working. Not a random location that has one person walk in per day.

"Just get the experience and move on!"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for commission...as long as your property is not "weeding out residents" at an alarming rate. It also helps when there are accurate availability dates and prices.

Cons

No training. Very disorganized...almost chaotic.

"Leasing Consultant"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great training program for new hires and an amazing team environment. Fair commission and everyone helps close sakes, whether it is their commission or not. Amazing benefits.

Cons

Hourly pay could be better. Move around a lot so you have to learn a lot of communities, all ran differently.

"Potential income...Bad relationship between upper management and on site management"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here at McKinley, you will have a potential great income. As a sales agent you could gain anything from $30,000.00 to $60,000.00 a year, or more if you are at the right place.

Cons

Income is the only good thing about the company. Since they incentive you with a good salary, any new employee they hire will be thrown to the deep and it is up to you to either swim, learn how to swim or drown. The regional managers are the ones who have the last word on your progress with the company instead of the manager that sees you every day at the property. It does not matter how long you have been with the company, how good you are at what you do or how much you help other managers in need with expertise, the regional managers will find something that you are not good at and delay your progress two, three or four months and even a year. I came to realize that, upper management is so busy in the big picture and all the projects at hand, acquiring new properties, doing so many things that they forget their biggest asset; their employees. I feel that I learned so much in this company and I do not like to burn the bridges of the companies I have worked for, but the situation is getting out of hand. If upper management speaks with the employees with an open heart and open mind and not being judgmental, you might hear what and how the employees actually feel. This company pays well but you need to work almost like a slave with no other life outside the work environment. Even talking to the regional managers, I have noticed that apart from work, they can't have a normal live. Is that what we are striving for? I understand that without some sacrifice in life you won’t be able to see your dreams come true but, to sacrifice your life, your family and relationship with those who love you and you love? I feel sorry for all of the regional managers. I do not know is this is the case in the great Michigan, but here that’s how the cookie crumbles. I rather go to a company that maybe pays less, but you feel that they care for their employees, nurtures them and instead of telling the employees you are doing it wrong, do it right or get the boot, they train you. It has come to my attention that you either have to be really good looking, gay, non-Hispanic, or a suck up to grow in this company. This is not my thought, this is the thought of lots of employees I have spoken with during my employment with McKinley.

Advice to Management

Not everything is as it seems. There is a lot of suffering at the lower level.
    I advise quarterly leasing training coordinated by the regional managers to motivate and keep the spirit lifted. Your employees deserve a good opportunity weather they are Hispanic, white, black, women or men. More communication is needed between upper and lower management. Everyone in the company feels that if they speak how they feel, they will get fired because it has happened in the past. Every time someone speaks up and shows how they feel, if the regional management doesn't like what they have to say sooner than later that person that spoke will get the boot. Also, everyone thinks that HR is pro upper management and that if an employee sends a complaint to HR, the complaint will be redirected to the regional and then the manager and then it breaks the confidentiality. Do you really have to keep losing loyal and great employees for you to her the word of the peasants? I hope that my words on this page get to you and learn what really is going on. I am pretty sure that you received an email like many employees did of a manager that was wrongfully laid off. I do not know the veracity of everything that person wrote, but I could testify this, more than 50% of what that person wrote is how EVERYONE is feeling at the lower level and at the base of this pyramid.

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL

Pros

you can make okay commission

Cons

management is inexperienced and will throw people under the bus to save themselves

Advice to Management

quit

"Very poor experience and lied to about my position."

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Champaign, IL

Pros

None. None. None. None. None.

Cons

Long days, unpredictable hours, clique atmosphere, poor training.

Advice to Management

You need to get your act together and treat your employees like humans with families.

"Good Company if You Care"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

McKinley is a company that has a vision: to provide excellent customer service in all things. As part of providing excellent customer service, you are sometimes expected to go above and beyond the normal job responsibilities to provide the "WOW" factor McKinley wants. If you can get in line with this vision, you will be successful. If you cannot, you will not last long. This is something McKinley advertises up front, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone either currently with the company or looking to be employed by the company. I personally love the atmosphere of trying to provide the best customer service possible, and challenging myself to "WOW" everyone who walks through my door has provided me with plenty of opportunities to shine and grow as an individual and as an employee.

99% of the people you meet in this company are going to be open, up-front, and honest with you. They will genuinely care about you, your job, and your success, because by working as a team we all succeed. The 1% of people who are not like that - well, they happen, and McKinley does a pretty good job of making sure they don't last long or that they change their ways.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, the rush season means everyone is overworked, stressed, and needing time off. During that time, it is extremely difficult to have any sort of work/life balance because there is too much to do, not enough staff, and not enough time.

Advice to Management

I love the company and the values, but rush season is a horrible time of year, without enough staff to provide support. Maybe consider hiring more part-time sales people or administrative assistants to help everyone out, so there isn't this crazy hectic running back and forth going on every day.

McKinley, Inc. Response

Nov 11, 2014 – Vice President

Wow! Thank you for this amazing feedback. It's great that you're having such a wonderful experience at McKinley and your commitment to customer service is very much appreciated. Thank you as well for... More

"Had high hopes but was disappointed"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting different people and helping them find a new home, excitement of sales, nice people in the office I was in. Opportunity for promotion (but really only because the turnover is so high so there are always open positions).

Cons

Low pay. Move-in season is only in the summer so you only make commission July-September, not worth working during off season because hourly wage was too low. Company advertises an amazing corporate culture but there's actually very little connection between properties and corporate office (which is also in Ann Arbor). Upper management offered a lot of criticism towards community managers but very little support with solutions. Extremely high turnover rate because of employee dissatisfaction. Overall bad experience.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Don't advertise an ideal culture with a family-oriented, work/life balance if you can't follow through. Provide more support to properties during rush season and offer solutions rather than pure criticism.

"Worst management company. Period."

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leasing and renewal commissions

Cons

Unclear guidelines and directives. Employees are "held accountable" to policies that literally change day to day. Ask for a procedure manual- oh wait, "it's being revised". People are given promotions or fired, just depending on the mood and whim of a power hungry little man. Employees are moved from site to site (to fill in the gaping holes in the staff because everyone either gets fired or quits), and have absolutely no choice in the decision. Look at how many positions they have available- there is a reason for that. There's also a reason why they say you need to have "insane" this or that in their employment ads. Because they really are nucking futs!They run their company through confusion and intimidation; ask any current employee if they feel secure in their job- I know what answer you'd get...

Advice to Management

Stop manipulating your employees and treating them like pawns in a game. These are people's lives and families that you are negatively affecting by your thoughtless actions. Being good at video games does NOT make you a good leader.

McKinley, Inc. Response

Jan 27, 2014 – HR Leader

We are very sorry to hear your time with McKinley was less than favorable. We assure you that everyone fully recognizes the hard work our employees put in on a daily basis and it is greatly... More