McKinley, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of fast-paced learning opportunities for the real estate professional to be challenged and grow (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great people, and leadership that really cares about the employee's (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Important to set the work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Upper Management will throw anyone under the bus (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good job"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits and co-workers are great!

Cons

You always feel like someone is going to get fired!

Advice to Management

Take more time to let your team know that you care!

2. "Mckinley is wonderful...I don't understand why so many people are hateful of the company"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company cares about its employees. Gives TONS of discounts, has a built in fitness area with fitness classes every day.
    Constantly employee appreciation activities.
    Bosses are super nice, not micromanaged.

Cons

VERY confusing at times.
    You need to be a quick learner.

Advice to Management

None, you've really created a great place to work.

"You have to take the good and the bad"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitve pay and good benefits, if someone from upper management likes you, your set.

Cons

Shady in the sense that they don't tell you how you're being evaluated and you get moved around a lot.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent on how employee's are being evaluated.

4. "Employees Are Not Well-Taken Care Of"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Decent salary and good resume builder.

Cons

McKinley has a habit of placing insane demands on employees. They also tend to turn on people who were previously named "best employees" over extremely minor things. During my time there, I saw many amazing people, including at a corporate level, get fired or chased out the door without good cause. Anyone who works at McKinley has to worry about job security.

Advice to Management

Allow people to do their jobs without so much micromanagement. Stop putting people on a pedestal and then yanking the rug out from underneath them.

5. "Only the Best"

Current Employee - A Hard Worker in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - A Hard Worker in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher than average pay
    Good benefits
    Opportunity for advancement
    Co workers are great

Cons

Employees are expected to know what they're doing and to do it well. When you're hired to do a job, you better know that job coming into it. If you are corrected by management, you better take it seriously and get right. They don't play.

6. "Great company and high standards love it"

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Tech in Palma Ceia, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Tech in Palma Ceia, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to learn new skills and new methods mckinley is a great company to learn from. So far one of the best. I started working at a property in Clearwater and since then I been to all the properties in this portfolio calling Hyde park my home property I would gladly work at any mckinley property.

Cons

If ur lazy not wanting to learn or be a team player then this isn't for you. Mckinley tries to hire the best but sometimes you get bad apples and mckinley is pretty good about vetting people who don't want to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because the current employees love it

"Never paid the bonus I earned"

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at McKinley, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that they held my job for me during maternity leave even though they weren't legally obligated to do so.

Cons

I was told repeatedly by my Regional Manager and Asset Manager that I was doing a great job. I made budget every quarter and was given a congratulations every time. Then I got a new Regional Manager who proceeded to tell me I was doing a terrible job. I told her I didn't know I was doing anything wrong because of the feedback I got from my previous superiors. Yet, when it came time to pay my bonus for NOI for the last quarter of the year, I was not paid it. They told me that while its normally financially based its also discretionary based on performance. I kept my property at 100% occupancy for 3 solid months and collected all the rent. There is no reason I should not have been paid that bonus. I will never work for them again. Also, my new regional manager had me knocking on peoples doors on Christmas Eve to tell them they needed to clear off their balconies. These people had previously been allowed to keep these items on their porches for 6 years! The right thing to do would have been to wait until after the 1st of the year and then proceed with the porch clean up. That would have been good customer service. I have worked for this company twice now, and I will never work for them again. I also found that after I left the company they had my job listed at $20,000/annually more than they were paying me. Clearly I was underpaid and not given enough training. Also they "eliminated the position" of my regional on a Friday afternoon and no one from senior management contacted me until Wednesday to let me know. The only reason I knew was because I called her to ask her a question.

Advice to Management

You need to implement standard procedures that every Regional is informed that way your managers aren't completely surprised when their Regional changes and apparently they were doing everything wrong. Bonuses that are financially based should be paid if those financial goals are reached. I understand that they wanted the balconies cleaned up but it was very poor customer service to have me knocking on peoples doors on Christmas Eve. Also, you should pay your employees comparable to the work you would like to receive.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Residential Leasing Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Residential Leasing Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, great people to work with, a lot of opportunities to try new things. Employee leases at select McKinley communities, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

A lot of company standards to keep in mind, and there isn't necessarily a lot of conversation surrounding the necessity of some standards. I don't want to lower standards, but I think that the people that have to uphold them should have more of a voice in their implementation and formation.

"Sales & leasing agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Unless you count the pay, which they won't keep you around long enough to enjoy it.

Cons

Wish I could give no Stars! They don't even deserve 1 star. Terrible training. They descriminate against people with kids. Do not follow laws for special needs. If you have kids don't waste your time applying, they won't hire you.They don't care about you or what you need. The trainer needs to loose her job. She is not patient with answering questions, doesn't know how to explain to someone who is new to leasing.

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They help you grow as an employee, plenty of growing opportunities!

Cons

None!! They are an amazing company