McKinley, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance with entrepreneurial management style (in 6 reviews)

• Fast-paced, great people to work with, a lot of opportunities to try new things (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Important to set the work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management will throw anyone under the bus (in 16 reviews)

1. "Entrepreneurial management style"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance with entrepreneurial management style

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in some divisions

2. "I truly enjoy working here."

Pros

I have an excellent work environment.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say, I like this job.

3. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the benefits, the ability to work with leaders to plan your development, and the opportunity to learn from some of the most passionate people in our industry. I have worked at other property management companies that love hiring McKinley employees because they have a reputation for having high standards.

Cons

In order to make it at McKinley you must have a strong work ethic, a thick skin, and an ability to handle redirection and feedback. Expectations are high and you will be pushed outside your comfort zone.

4. "Facilities Supervisor"

Former Employee - Floater in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Floater in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They always took care of their workers/great benefits

Cons

None Really/On Call Status Sometimes Difficult

"Good job"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits and co-workers are great!

Cons

You always feel like someone is going to get fired!

Advice to Management

Take more time to let your team know that you care!

"Horrible company STAY FAR AWAY!"

Former Employee - CCA in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - CCA in Orlando, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers with somewhat decent pay

Cons

There is a lack of staff and support from all angles of the business. High turnover and not enough staff to get a good quality finished product. The company chooses favorites and is unfair to staff. Respect levels from management are a disgrace and make you feel belittled and unappreciated. The best part of the company is now no longer working for them. McKinley is a turn and burn company and they don't care for the growth of their employees. There are all talk in the beginning of room for advancement but at the end of the day they will not take the time to train and move you up in the company. Each individual is overworked and the expectations are outrageous. There is no training given and any suggestions you try to give to help make your property better it is thrown out the window. Beyond thankful to not be working for such a company that doesn't value your worth of an employee. Do your research and stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Hire more strong leaders and value them.

"Ummm. No."

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Good pay. Good pay.

Cons

Everything. I worked for McKinley for five years. The day I was fired. I was number one in the southern region in renewals. I averaged 7 a week. Worked in Daytona. Both properties. The day I was fired the regional who fired me got the email the same time he was letting me go. I was fired for not filling out a guest card properly while doing a lease.

Advice to Management

.............

"Disaster and disappointed"

Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the field there are no pros. The person who I interviewed on the phone was very pleasant . On site interview at their only beautiful property was pleasant as well. They kept me under the impression that the property I interviewed at was where I would be place. I did not know what nightmares I was about to step into.

Cons

This is my experience as a Senior Maintenance Tech.They do not give out Maintenance Supervisor titles because they feel that their property managers can delegate the maintenance.This company will help you commit spiritual suicide,no grasp on what's going on. The worst management company in the United States. Please if your desperate for a job don't do it. Just keep looking. Do not pass any other company for this one. Don't make the same mistake I made. If your in the maintenance realm just listen to what everyone else speaks of this company . Orlando is on the boom with property management jobs. Stay away from this company and be patient.I was fortunate to find employment with another company and my lord what a difference. My first week I worked 50 plus hours.Property management feels like fixing a closet door at 6pm is more important than an electrical emergency. My second week I was placed on a property with 42 open work orders and 4 emergencies on my first day.

Advice to Management

Why do you have to mix your properties together?why must you have to go to another property to take parts or use employees from other properties. It does not work. No other company does it. In the real estate and property rental business you guys are considered to be a joke. Every property should have a maintenance supervisor and have them deal with vendors and delegate the maintenance staff. You should not put that responsibility on the property manager.All management companies use what's called a P.O system.. if you don't trust your maintenance staff this system will control what's being ordered and what's needed. How can you put one person on call for multiple properties. That's unheard of. If you have your maintenance staff focused on their property then preventive maintenance and customer service will excel and keep the on calls down. Having an experienced supervisor running the maintenance instead of someone in an office who will not even get up out of their chair because it's to hot outside is ridiculous. Example I had a plumbing emergency and an apartment to be painted. The property manager said forget the plumbing emergency lets get that apartment painted I will call a plumber! A plumber cost 1300 a painter cost 175.00. Guess which one the property manager when with?? My advice coming from a Maintenance Supervisor with 18 years experience is to teach your property managers the number one rule of maintenance. Always protect the owners assets.

"Keep your sanity and stay away"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

The pay is above the rest. Bonus structure is good.

Cons

Leadership will not hesitate to throw you under the bus. They will work you until you either are forced to quit because you are so overworked or you fail and they let you go. There is no loyalty to the employees. It's a turn and burn. Fear management is how motivation occurs which is a horrible way to treat your employees. There is no respect given so don't expect it. Also you can throw away any idea of positive feedback and giving you any type of praise if you do well. And once you do decide to leave, expect for your name to be trash talked, gossiped about and false accusations made. There is no work life balance. Emails are sent at 11pm at night while you are trying to rest. There are such unreasonable expectations that you forget you have a life outside of work.

Advice to Management

What's the point of giving advice, it won't make a difference.

10. "Mckinley is wonderful...I don't understand why so many people are hateful of the company"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company cares about its employees. Gives TONS of discounts, has a built in fitness area with fitness classes every day.
    Constantly employee appreciation activities.
    Bosses are super nice, not micromanaged.

Cons

VERY confusing at times.
    You need to be a quick learner.

Advice to Management

None, you've really created a great place to work.