McKinley, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance with entrepreneurial management style" (in 8 reviews)

• "The company it self is great With awesome benefits great pay And a good corporate staff" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Important to set the work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Upper management style of management is consistent with that of a dictatorship" (in 19 reviews)

1. "The BEST place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with everyday, great pay, great benefits, incredible residents. Being able to watch a brand you helped build become such an amazing place to work and for residents to live. I love working for McKinley because they care about the poeople. Albert and Albert Jr. spent millions of dollars to renovate the apartment buildings and give our customers a place to be proud living and us a great place to work. ANyone who worked at the offices before would know that. Employee wages also are now better than anywhere else. When I started it was a joke making like $10.50 an hr and now in sales you make $75k. Working in the apartment market at a place you can be proud of doesn't happen often. Thanks Mckinley!

Cons

It is a demanding place to work and expectations are high but worth it imo.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing that is working. Really I'm writing this because I wrote a review a few years ago and now get emails from these bitter disgruntled people who couldn't cut it and trash a great company. Talking about how things were ruined. Try being here years ago when they didn't make any money and had bad leaders running around trying to get you motivated with squirels when you can't get your bonus because there's no money and residents yell at you because there apartments can't get fixed. These reviews talk about McKinley being owned by Berrizes and making them money. Take a business class!!! That's what companies are for! At least McKinley shares the money and gives great pay and bonuses. And Albert and HR help employee's in need all the time. Extra time off, money when there are emergency's, and try and find another company that will help you when your medical insurance denies a claim. McKinley has leaders who care.

2. "Confidential"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

pay, support, growth and advancement opportunities

Cons

challenging, you have to work hard every day

"Nasty People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary was competitive, and the benefits ok but they have a horrible 6 month waiting period for the benefits.

Cons

Upper management: unless your last name is the same as the CEO, you are a puppet.

HR: Worthless they have no idea how to lead or serve as an employee advocate.

Drones: watching and waiting for the day yiu will be fired. It’s just a matter of time.

Advice to Management

Your company has a horrible reputation. Don’t you care?

"Scum Lords with no sympathy"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Not working Sundays
    Hour lunch
    Relatively easy job when nobody was there

Cons

I had to lie to prospective tenants and current tenants every day. Complex was infested with bugs, high crime, and terrible maintenance. Corporate even came in to evaluate the property and they did not care about improving the place at all, they just came to gossip and take three hour lunch breaks leaving me by myself. I was overworked and never properly trained and I have never been so stressed and upset working somewhere.

Advice to Management

Care about your tenants and employees. You get back what you put in.

"Not like it Used to Be"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

The work environment used to be employee friendly - contests, awards, good training and leaders that cared.

Cons

Since the non-family member senior leaders have left, the culture has been primarily focused on making money for the owners, and doing so at any cost, regardless of the impact on people.

Advice to Management

McKinley used to have a true employee advocate in their HR function; the team is a management pawn now.

6. "customer Service Manager"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Tge compensation is good, better believe you will work for it

Cons

They expect you to be a robot!!
    The stress level is beyond horrible
    If you are salary expect to work 24hrs
    Community Managers are stressed beyond belief

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff don’t over work the salaried employees! Also ease down on the quality Control

7. "Associate"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. part-time

Pros

Great community, flexible with scheduling

Cons

not always a lot of work to do

"Leasing and Sales"

Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay WAS good at the time. The pay was higher than the industry standard and this is because expectations were higher. Since I quit in 2017, they have lowered the pay for my position closer to industry standards.
    I made lasting connections with some coworkers and residents(Which I can also say about everywhere I’ve worked).

Cons

Literally everything else. Unhealthy environment because the CEO, Albert, is a looney toon. Not only is he crazy, he is also shady. The terms on which he finances the purchase of the many “boutique” properties in Tampa and St Pete are SHADY and require staff to rent units at higher than true market value. The high valuations are hidden with extreme move-in specials which confuse residents and trap them in an over-priced apartment (unless they want to pay to move again). Employees are made to feel bad about using the PTO they have earned. There is a constant fear of being fired and turn over is HIGH. This is a privately held company which is all about making the Berriz family rich with no regard for how employees are treated and their quality of life. The HR department, unfortunately, does not opportate to protect the employees. If it did, you wouldn’t see such terrible reviews of this company. I mean really, how often do you see a rating this low? They cannot even get enough “happy” current employees to rate them to keep them from a failing grade. *These are not just “bitter or fired former employees” leaving reviews.

Advice to Management

Really the advice would be for the folks in Ann Arbor on Main St and regional management: be better. Just be better people. Don’t be manipulative and start treating people like humans! You are greedy and the culture you have created (in spite of your “core values”) is unhealthy and is a direct reflection of Albert M and Albert L.

"Commercial Real Estate"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people there are amazing, the corporate wellness initiative is unlike anything I have ever seen before, offering on-site gym and fitness classes.

Cons

Commercial department was downsized numerous times, the theme is getting back to our roots, which means Residential, no measures were being made to stabilize the ICRE department.

"Manager"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

The compensation package was above average.

Cons

Absolutely everything else you can think of related to work.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with a union because it is coming to Taylor.