McKinley, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Pros
  • Great pay, great people, and leadership that really cares about the employee's (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, very team-oriented, lots of resources to help you grow (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Important to set the work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Upper Management will throw anyone under the bus (in 15 reviews)

1. "Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers were like family. We had a great environment. Everyone worked together as a team

Cons

Not much room for advancement in my department

Advice to Management

none

2. "Company lacks integrity and ethics."

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is above average, but benefits are still out of reach at entry level. Co workers are amazing.

Cons

This company lacks ethics and integrity. They claim to be all about the resident experience, but they don't care about their employees experiences at all. I attempted to make a positive impact, and to move forward, and was given mixed messages from management, and was retaliated against for going to the regional to discuss my career goals. I read the reviews before starting this job and cmcame to quickly see that they were all too true...

Advice to Management

There is nothing to say as they clearly don't care about the expeeiwnce of their employees.

3. "Know what your getting into"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

lots to learn and able to move up

Cons

very demanding of your time

"Do Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for an hourly position.

Cons

They don't prepare you at all for what's to come. They place you at an incredibly slow location for like, 4 days, and help you ATTEMPT to grasp what it will be like at a busy location. They fail miserably at that. The amount of turnover for the position I was in was absolutely unreal. They're constantly hiring for this position because they can't keep anyone. Trust me, I saw the comments on Glassdoor about this position before and it kind of made me wonder, but I wanted to see for myself. They're all correct. Run. Far, far away.

Advice to Management

Please figure out how to actually train your employees. Put effort into placing them where they'll ACTUALLY be working. Not a random location that has one person walk in per day.

6. "McKinley team-member"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, co-workers are amazing, the commitment to health and wellness is amazing.

Cons

It is very clear that the Residential side of the business takes priority but there aren't a lot of opportunities to move over to Residential if your in any other department.

"Horrible, Discriminate, No Respect!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is okay if and when you get promoted.

Cons

If you are a person of color, don't expect to get far at this company! They use Will Epps as an example of success and their "token" yet fail to mention his past scandals with employees! They play games and don't reward those who work hard. They seem to promote based on who is better at kissing butt and whoever is white to be honest. I've watched them promote people after 3-6 months with no experience while they make ridiculous excuses not to promote employees with years of experience and who have proven their worth. They have extremely high turnover and there is no room for growth even though they say there is....they demoted all of their Regional Managers at one point and made them basic managers again lol. Don't waste your time at this company. ALL of the positive reviews on here are from their lying HR team because they know the company is full of it and they have to try to clean up the mess. If you do work here, make sure you document everything! To the HR team, don't even respond to this post because nothing that you say will make people like you or your bs.

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating and start appreciating the employees that actually work hard and prove themselves!

"DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

there really isn't any Pros unless you want to live on property, you get a discount but if you decide to leave the company or you get fired. you have 24 hours to move out. yeah that's messed up. NO positives!!!

Cons

okay where do I start. they DO NOT care about their employees, you are just another body that replaced to them. your only good as the next job you complete, even if you busted your behind and stayed late for them countless times. The pay is so crap, they pay people based on the demand of how bad they need someone or not. Management will never listen to you they will just do what the higher up says or whatever a resident says. Maintenance supervisors are a joke. they don't even work but expect stuff to be done fast, even if its not the right way to do it. everything is "patch work" like don't fix it right just repair to shut the resident up. Then if you go "on call" you get a extra $100 to keep a phone and be available 24/7 for a week. that's crap. lol don't even cover gas. They Fire people and then expect everyone else to pick up the slack. Oh and NO overtime, you will be flexed out by the end of the week. (they made me remove the bad language lol so you can imagine I didn't say this nicely)

Advice to Management

respect your workers. Especially when you have good ones...

"No Ethics."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As most of the reviews are stating, the pay is above market. I worked with a good group of people at the site level who kept me positive.

Cons

I wanted to throughly reflect on my experience with McKinley before I posted a review. I am no longer a disgruntled employee, however, I feel that my experience with McKinley will hopefully put things into perspective not only for its applicants, but for its employees.
    I went through a pretty grueling interview process for a community manager position. When I was offered a position, I was told that they don't like to hire people with multifamily experience as it can be hard to adjust to McKinley's work environment. Because of this, I was offered a customer service manager position where I would collecting rent and delinquents in order to get my feet wet.
    After a few days of training, I felt comfortable enough to tell my regional that I was 5 months pregnant. I was congratulated and we moved on.
    I had 2 weeks of training on an archaic rent collection system, and was then transferred to the largest property in their portfolio. The files and rent accounts were an absolute disaster as my predecessor got burnt out. I previously worked in low-income and had to rehab tax credit files, but I had never seen it that bad. I filed 47 (yes, 47) evictions my first month and that was only for people who had over a $500 balance. I knew that if I didn't start to set the record straight with residents, I was going to sink. Long story short, I was firm about rent collection and following fair housing by not making exceptions for people. I have a heart but the residents in question had been notoriously behind on rent, according to their accounts. I was told by my immediate supervisor that I needed to soften my tone and be a little easier on people. (My job was to collect delinquents at a property where nearly a 3rd of the residents were on section 8...not sure how that's possible!)
    I did my best to follow her lead but that wasn't enough.
    One day the president's son and my regional shower up on property. I was taken aback as I was not expecting them, and our exchange was admittedly awkward.
    That same day I was fired for being too firm and not presenting myself well to ownership. Keep in mind I had never been reprimanded, I didn't do anything illegal, I was 6 months pregnant, and I had just relocated back into the state due to my husband's military reassignment.
    If that doesn't speak volumes about how the company feels about their employees, I don't know what does. I had never been fired and I had successfully rehabbed a low income property prior to getting hired on with them. This is a horrible company that is worthless to the local apartment association and anyone who has any legitimate experience in property management. It will be a waste of time for you to apply. I'm short, avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Management

Read your other reviews. The reviews speak volumes.

"Its business"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Champaign, IL

Pros

good compensation and a lot of hours available when need be

Cons

racist coworkers and no family time when you're on call. inexperienced management . friends hiring friends and not actual good workers. lack of material terrible communication from management

Advice to Management

they know workers are expandable so honestly theres nothing you can tell them. its business not personal

"Maintenance Tech"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Not even worth the money to be honest. They're making me add 20 words. I don't have 20 words of good things to say.

Cons

Terrible management. They don't care about employees at all. They allow supervisors to demean employees and even when multiple employees bring it to management's attention, nothing gets done about it. They also allow supervisor's to talk poorly about employees behind their back to other employees. They want things done fast, not right. They'd rather have an apartment look good even if it means something major is wrong with it. They want to bandaid everything and you get in trouble if you actually spend the time fixing it correctly. They hire in new, inexperienced people that make more money than those who have been there over a year. Honestly, it's the worst job I've ever had and I've never felt so unappreciated by an employer. You're just another replaceable body and if they don't like you, they will force you out. One thing done wrong overturns all the good things. If you do something you're proud of...too bad, it's not good enough. Don't work here unless you don't have a soul because they will crush it.

And according to upper management, it was my work ethic that was lacking, not the supervisor, which is actually hilarious because everyone who works (or has worked) for said supervisor has the EXACT SAME problems with him. Not to mention, my work ethic has been highly praised at all the other properties I worked at. This company is the biggest joke ever. I've gone above and beyond for residents so many times, but yeah, my work ethic is lacking. Great logic, McKinley! Maybe employee's work ethics would be better if you treated them with an ounce of respect.

Advice to Management

You can't fix this so I don't even have advice.