McKinley, Inc. "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

McKinley, Inc. Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Apr 15, 2019

2.5
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz
Pros
  • "The people you work with everyday, great pay, great benefits, incredible residents(in 14 reviews)

• "I have worked at other property management companies that love hiring McKinley employees because they have a reputation for having high standards(in 11 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

McKinley offers employees a great place to work with good benefits and a supportive upper management. The wellness program is top-notch; they actually want you to live a healthy life and will do what they can to get you there. The pay is above average. The company has an executive team who knows what they are doing and where they are going. Only those who perform their jobs well stay with the company.

Cons

Communication can be lacking. The right hand doesn't often tell the left hand what is going on until the right hand is about 3/4 through doing whatever it has decided to do. This can lead to frustration when the right hand expects the left hand to hurry up and get to that 3/4 point in 1/4 the time. Also nepotism.

Advice to Management

Communicate changes more effectively. Or just communicate overall. Either would be nice.

McKinley, Inc.2018-02-14

"Stay Away! Not Worth The Stress Or Long Hours"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and bonus if they give it to you!

Cons

Horrible upper management. Disgusting apartments No training whatsoever Will fire or demote you without warning Questionable business practices. This company is a joke and the way it is being run it is amazing it has lasted this long. They like to position themselves above the competition but in reality they are slumlords. When working here they would push for lease modifications so as not to repair and turnover... apartments to save money. Some apartments had gone years doing modifications thus saving them thousands of dollars in actual maintenance. They do not train you at all and scare you with the threat of losing your job if you do not work long hours (without overtime or flextime). No consitency between sites and you are constantly being micromanaged by management. They are also streched thin and will pull people from sites to help other sites all while expecting you to cover your normal workload and the added load and will demote or fire if you don't. They place more emphasis on the look of the office, coffee stations then they do for the actual apartments which are mold and roach infested and falling apart. Not to mention having maintenance leave work half done for weeks even months on end! Not a place for people with morals!

Advice to Management

Actual training Fix communities and treat employees with respect Stop purchasing new communities when you cant take care of the ones you have. Have consistency across communities Better work-life balance Follow the law when it comes to overtime

McKinley, Inc.2019-04-15

"Great Experience as a Community Management"

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

My time with McKinley was short-lived; approx 18 months; however, I learned a lot about property management and the many responsibilities involved in running a great community. My initial training was solid. I spend multiple weeks 'off the floor' working with my trainer learning the behind the scenes of being an Assistant Manager; i.e. billing, collections, payments, quality assurance etc. Once I arrived at my... home community, I was able to start with confidence and be quite successful in the position for almost a year before moving into the Community Manager role. That was a different story. See below. I thoroughly enjoyed my friendships and mentoring I received from various colleagues throughout the company. Plus a lot of enjoyable residents and prospects.

Cons

I have nothing 'earth-shattering' negative to say other than upper-management are micro-managers a little more than my personal liking. I realize that they want/need specific information from time-to-time; however, if you are managing a community with limited or no other colleagues, that micro-managing can take it toll. You need to be given time to complete projects, respond to emails, and most importantly,... address resident issues with the correct resources. I began working more hours at home such as on my weekdays and off days I would easily work 4+ hours on leads, prospects, lease renewals etc. Communication could be vague and frequent at times and you had to be able to 'read between the lines' to fully know what was being asked. When you do ask, they then question your confidence in being able to do the job.

Advice to Management

I want to emphasize that as a whole, McKinley is a solid company with a lot happening with opportunities but can be quick to judge their own employees too quickly without regard to circumstances.

McKinley, Inc.2019-02-22

"Horrible just horrible"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay. Have to pay high wages because they have a horrible reputation and can't find good experienced individuals because of it. Many communities are lead by inexperienced managers with little to no property management experience, so needless to say there is a high turnover ratio.

Cons

Everyone is stressed. Upper management style of management is consistent with that of a dictatorship. They lead by instilling fear so everyone is job scared. It's a shame because this company is huge but it is so corporate that employees are just seen as numbers. With this company the only guarantee you'll have is unemployment. Good luck to whoever thinks this company is for them.

Advice to Management

Don't be so robotic Grow a personailty People are not just numbers Establish a better culture for your staff

McKinley, Inc.2018-05-13

"Community Manager"

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Employees outside of upper management are considered expendable. They will fire you over anything so dont mess up. Horrible environment with lots of stress and tension in the air. Always walking on eggshells.

McKinley, Inc.2017-11-12

"You have to take the good and the bad"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitve pay and good benefits, if someone from upper management likes you, your set.

Cons

Shady in the sense that they don't tell you how you're being evaluated and you get moved around a lot.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent on how employee's are being evaluated.

McKinley, Inc.2017-06-12

"Horrible...BEWARE!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a job...there's a paycheck...a few amazing people to work with.

Cons

The company's mascot is Gumby, because they will stretch you until you break! Almost every property is chronically under staffed! No support from upper management, bi-polar regionals, community managers who barley show up and then throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Corporate expectations are unreasonable and not achievable with constant threats of not getting the quarterly bonus. You WILL NOT... have a balanced home/work life. You are expected to work 10-12 hours per day many by yourself and everything must be perfect or No Bonus. The quality control inspections are insane because it changes each time. New policies, forms, requirements are created but are not announced to the on site teams or training given on ridiculous expected standards. They expect people to work more and get paid less. They do not value hard work, initiative or the long extra hours you don't get paid for away from your home and family. DO NOT WORK FOR MCKINLEY!

McKinley, Inc.2017-04-12

"Maintenance Tech"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Not even worth the money to be honest. They're making me add 20 words. I don't have 20 words of good things to say.

Cons

Terrible management. They don't care about employees at all. They allow supervisors to demean employees and even when multiple employees bring it to management's attention, nothing gets done about it. They also allow supervisor's to talk poorly about employees behind their back to other employees. They want things done fast, not right. They'd rather have an apartment look good even if it means something major is... wrong with it. They want to bandaid everything and you get in trouble if you actually spend the time fixing it correctly. They hire in new, inexperienced people that make more money than those who have been there over a year. Honestly, it's the worst job I've ever had and I've never felt so unappreciated by an employer. You're just another replaceable body and if they don't like you, they will force you out. One thing done wrong overturns all the good things. If you do something you're proud of...too bad, it's not good enough. Don't work here unless you don't have a soul because they will crush it. And according to upper management, it was my work ethic that was lacking, not the supervisor, which is actually hilarious because everyone who works (or has worked) for said supervisor has the EXACT SAME problems with him. Not to mention, my work ethic has been highly praised at all the other properties I worked at. This company is the biggest joke ever. I've gone above and beyond for residents so many times, but yeah, my work ethic is lacking. Great logic, McKinley! Maybe employee's work ethics would be better if you treated them with an ounce of respect.

Advice to Management

You can't fix this so I don't even have advice.

McKinley, Inc.2016-10-18

"TERRIBLE company to work for"

I worked at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

Good pay. Great co-workers (for the most part). I literally have no other pros to list here. This job will burn you out quickly.

Cons

Long hours. Micro-management. Poor upper management. Understaffed 99% of the time. "Sweep it under the rug" approach to handling issues with the properties/residents.

Advice to Management

Get more hands on. Hire better, more hardworking, reliable people BEFORE stuff hits the fan. Take more pride in your properties. Learn how to actually make residents and staff happy and don't just "ignore" requests and complaints

McKinley, Inc.2016-06-16

"No ethics, no support, expect the world, you are replaceable"

Community Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

Above market pay for management. Opportunities to learn the property management business from top to bottom including, accounting, financials, and capital projects. Lots of PTO (but you can't find time to use it). Great benifits.

Cons

There is NO training whatsoever. Sink or Swim. Upper management downright SUCKS -- they aren't "changing" the culture like they will lead you to believe, it's just talk. You can't trust anyone, they are all politicians above the site level. Employees and vendors are both treated like crap (and that's the expectation of upper management regardless of how many times they tell you to "provide great service" to... everyone) -- you can't keep vendors because their "net 60" payment terms are more like "net 110" unless you stay right on top of payables to the point you are harassing them. If you don't mind treating people like tools, this is the right company for you. If you have ethics, turn around and RUN as fast as you can. The expectations are high, not unattainable if you could double the staff size, but, even if you attain them and succeed in every challenge handed to you, you still aren't reaching the "mckinley standard" when it comes down to the VPs opinions. Oh, and you can't double the size of your staff because they have already rolled through everyone in the region that is worth hiring. They WILL REPLACE YOU with a cheaper version or just expect all the other staff to pickup the slack without any training or support.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. You don't care about employees, actually you prefer they are scared to death of you. It doesn't drive production and it doesn't increase morale -- just look at your turnover. Maybe, if you are going to be in charge of intelligent site level management, you should understand half of what you are asking of others... Good luck, that plateau in growth that you are seeing now is going to turn into a... steep valley really, really soon. You have the wrong decision makers in place and everyone at the site level knows it, hates them, and is looking for more gainful employment.

McKinley, Inc.2015-12-17